No more Target Gray finish on Super Redhawk 454 & 480's ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fz4vgq

Bearcat
I searched but didn't see it talked about anywhere. I've been away from the gun world for a few years now due to work & family obligations. When did Ruger drop the Target Gray finish on these?

Thanks,
Fz

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Seems like most buyers like the pretty Stainless Steel Finish much better than the Dull Target Grey Finish.

I am a handgun hunter. I operate pretty much at bow hunting range. I do not need a shiney handgun. I really like my Target Grey 480 SRH. My 35 Bullberry Contender thinks it sucks however. The Contender has not been in the woods since I started hunting with the 480 Ruger.

I guess you could always put a Rattle Can Finish on the new SRH with Krylon Camo paint. It works. I shoot in tactical rifle matches, and varmint hunt. I have not put a trick Hi Dollar Finish on a rifle in years.
I painted my Tactical 308 Barreled Action, Accuracy International Stock, and 6.5 -20 (Premier Reticle) Leupold Scope probably close to 10 years ago, and I have never even touched it up. Man it is hard to spray paint a $1,000 Leupold Scope. The last couple rifles I have had built I just sprayed the barrels with Krylon Camo in Black. I am a firm believer in the Rattle Can Finish. I would not have a problem putting a camo job on a Super RedHawk Hunting Handgun.

Bob

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Bob R said:
Seems like most buyers like the pretty Stainless Steel Finish much better than the Dull Target Grey Finish.

I am a handgun hunter. I operate pretty much at bow hunting range. I do not need a shiney handgun. I really like my Target Grey 480 SRH. My 35 Bullberry Contender thinks it sucks however. The Contender has not been in the woods since I started hunting with the 480 Ruger.

I guess you could always put a Rattle Can Finish on the new SRH with Krylon Camo paint. It works. I shoot in tactical rifle matches, and varmint hunt. I have not put a trick Hi Dollar Finish on a rifle in years.
I painted my Tactical 308 Barreled Action, Accuracy International Stock, and 6.5 -20 (Premier Reticle) Leupold Scope probably close to 10 years ago, and I have never even touched it up. Man it is hard to spray paint a $1,000 Leupold Scope. The last couple rifles I have had built I just sprayed the barrels with Krylon Camo in Black. I am a firm believer in the Rattle Can Finish. I would not have a problem putting a camo job on a Super RedHawk Hunting Handgun.

Bob
I am with you about not having a shiny gun. but I would send it and have it dipped in real tree or mossy oak.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I don't like the shinny finish in the woods. Sticks out too much.

IMG_1332_zps6c5c29b4.jpg

This is my working gun!!!

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
If the shiny finish bothered me while hunting (which it doesn't) I'd buy some camo tape. You could tape everything but the cylinder. I certainly wouldn't use spray paint. Bead blasting would be a better option. This guy didn't mind the shine. But certainly there are situations (if the light was just right) where it could make a difference.
DSCN5850-1.jpg

woodman39

Bearcat
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
But certainly there are situations (if the light was just right) where it could make a difference.
DSCN5850-1.jpg

The light will make a big difference.
I was hunting with a friend one day and he was walking along a fenceline with his rifle slung over his shoulder. The rifle had a bright blue finish and when he turned just right the reflection off the barrel was like a spot light. I was sitting on a hill about 200 yards away and I was amazed at how bright the reflection was.

Latest posts