No.1 is NOT discontinued!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Aha!! I wondered about that!! Especially since Lipsey's had never received word from Ruger that they were being dropped and #2.....Ruger still showed them on their website.
Had the hunch and printed in the latest RENE this past weekend, which you'll all be getting shortly.
I'll bet Ruger was tired of having a mishmash of parts all over the place so finished up anything and everything that was on hand....just cleaning the house.
Chet15

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
gtxmonte said:
Why is it that everybody always wants a Number 1 in some obscure caliber that nobody else chambers? We always hear "if they made so and so I would buy it today"............why not by some in normal calibers?................jus sayin.......LOL!!!

I'd hardly call the .358 Win "obscure"!! Browning STILL carries it in their BLR lever rifle, started chambering it over 30 years ago (1981 I believe?). Ruger chambered it in bolt rifles for many years, right up to a few years ago. The Savage 99 in 358 is a highly prized gun to own, as is the Winchester 88 lever. The .35 cal crowd has a decent sized and extremely loyal following. Some rebore services specialize in the .35 calibers, so there's obviously some demand for them. ....just sayin. :wink:

I only have seven 358's. I could really use another few to make sure I have my bases covered, and the Ruger #1 in .358 would fit nicely in the harem.

I was asking this same question about a #1 in .358 four years ago on this forum: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167843
...still patiently waiting...

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
I am beginning to suspect this parts cleanup idea. When you think about it, only barrels wouldn't work for what is supposed to be the 2016 production rifles. I know that last year any number of "different" rifles got made. So, how did all these new different barrels just get "found"??

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Black Frog said:
gtxmonte said:
Why is it that everybody always wants a Number 1 in some obscure caliber that nobody else chambers? We always hear "if they made so and so I would buy it today"............why not by some in normal calibers?................jus sayin.......LOL!!!

I'd hardly call the .358 Win "obscure"!! Browning STILL carries it in their BLR lever rifle, started chambering it over 30 years ago (1981 I believe?). Ruger chambered it in bolt rifles for many years, right up to a few years ago. The Savage 99 in 358 is a highly prized gun to own, as is the Winchester 88 lever. The .35 cal crowd has a decent sized and extremely loyal following. Some rebore services specialize in the .35 calibers, so there's obviously some demand for them. ....just sayin. :wink:

I only have seven 358's. I could really use another few to make sure I have my bases covered, and the Ruger #1 in .358 would fit nicely in the harem.

I was asking this same question about a #1 in .358 four years ago on this forum: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167843
...still patiently waiting...
When you can name only one or two guns that chamber a certain round, its a pretty obscure caliber. When you mentioned 358 Winchester, wonder how many on THIS site had to Google it to see what it was?

I am into different calibers myself, but I don't expect somebody to build it for me. You want a Number one in an odd caliber......build one. Or is it that you want Ruger to make it in hope that one day it will be worth a lot because it IS an obscure caliber, limited run rifle

Then there is the mention of a .348 Winchester. A flat nose lever action round that has only ever been offered in one rifle and that one was dropped in 1958.........LOL!!!

I know we all like what we like.........but damn Number 1 guys like some strange stuff as far as calibers.............LOL!!!

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
The point is, there have been far more "obscure" calibers than the .358 Win chambered for the #1 in the past.

If you had to Google what a .358Win was, you're obviously not into rifles, reloading, or historic chamberings.
Most people looking at #1's are VERY into rifles and their calibers. The #1 was never meant for the masses.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I didn't say I had to Google it.........I said I wondered how many DID.

I have been reloading for over 40 years and my current area of interest in rifles is 1000+ yard shooting, so I would say I am plenty into rifles and always have been. You would be hard pressed to mention any chambering that I have never heard of.

I also NEVER said the .358 was a bad round, it is in fact a great round for it's intended uses. It's just not a POPULAR round and that's what sells guns. The fact that currently I think it is ONLY chambered in a Browning BLR kind of attests to the popularity of the round, which is, not very. Historic? If you say so, but it's only been around since the 50s. Its a necked up 308. Hardly groundbreaking as the 308 is the basis for countless rounds. A historic 35 is likely the Whelen

I know that the .35 caliber has some great rounds that SHOULD be more popular, but the simply aren't. That I can't help, but it should be easy to understand why gun makers don't chamber many .35s. They don't sell enough

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
While fantastic, the 35 Whelen wasn't chambered in a production gun until Remington did in 1988! Historic, yes. Production-wise? No.
The #1 has already been made in all but two of 308-based calibers, all except the 358 and 260 I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Again, you're missing the point.
Look at the past history of chamberings for the #1, and you'll see quite a list of calibers that were not too popular in the mainstream of selling numbers of rifles.

You think when the guys at Ruger were deciding on which caliber to make a #1 in they were saying, "...hey, I bet if we make this #1 in 9.3x74R (or 460 S&W, or 7mmSTW, or .218 Bee, or 416 Ruger, etc....), we'll sell a BUNCH of them because this is a good-selling caliber!!"

If you wanted "good-selling" caliber in a #1, they've already made it in the past and you can find one if you keep your eyes open.

gtxmonte said:
I didn't say I had to Google it.........I said I wondered how many DID.

I have been reloading for over 40 years and my current area of interest in rifles is 1000+ yard shooting, so I would say I am plenty into rifles and always have been. You would be hard pressed to mention any chambering that I have never heard of.

I also NEVER said the .358 was a bad round, it is in fact a great round for it's intended uses. It's just not a POPULAR round and that's what sells guns. The fact that currently I think it is ONLY chambered in a Browning BLR kind of attests to the popularity of the round, which is, not very. Historic? If you say so, but it's only been around since the 50s. Its a necked up 308. Hardly groundbreaking as the 308 is the basis for countless rounds. A historic 35 is likely the Whelen

I know that the .35 caliber has some great rounds that SHOULD be more popular, but the simply aren't. That I can't help, but it should be easy to understand why gun makers don't chamber many .35s. They don't sell enough

If Lipsey or whomever is only selling a couple of hundred of each caliber/configuration, I guarentee they could sell all the .348's produced. Heck, I'd buy two! :wink:

Dave

chet15

Hawkeye
357Maximum said:
gtxmonte said:

Only a very small part of the Rifle shooting population own #1. They tend to be people that enjoy something a little different including cartridge selection.

Ruger #1 have been produced in the so called normal cartridges for years , there are numerous ones on the used market.

I recently sold the following in the following order all listed at the same time. All were VG to excellent in condition . First 3 were sold in less then a week.

1H -458 Win plain wood - 5
1S - 475 Linebaugh decent wood figure - 2
1S - 218 Bee vg wood figure - 1
1H - 405 Win vg wood figure - 3
1B - 7mm Rem exceptional wood - 7 sold after 3 months deeply discounted
1B -300 Win plain wood - 6
1H-375 H&H decent wood figure - 4

I currently own the following

Ruger 1S 275 Rigby
Ruger 1A 222
Ruger 1A 280
Ruger 1A 303
Ruger 1A 30-30
Ruger 1A 7.62X39
Ruger 1AH 2506
Ruger 1AK 6.5x55
Ruger 1B 225 Win
Ruger 1B 6mm
Ruger 1RSI 6.5x55
Ruger 1RSI 257 Rbts
Ruger 1RSI 7X57
Ruger 1S 38-55
Ruger 1S 45-70
Ruger 1S 300H&H
Ruger 1S 9.3x74r

So your 1B in .225 Win has a custom barrel?
There was a barreled action in .225 Win floating around the factory for a while.
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
El Numero Uno said:
I just received an email from Chris Killoy, the Ruger President, that the Ruger No.1 is not discontinued and is planned to be in the production lineup for 2017.

There is a difference between regular "production lineup" and a distributor exclusive. I wonder now if the email in the OP means Lipsey's will not have to pay up-front and will not be the exclusive source of the 2017 "production lineup" of which he spoke?

I wonder if they have a source for synthetic stocks? I wonder who will assemble them (rookies or 20-year 'smiths)? I wonder if the wood will be select walnut or something else? I wonder if there will be a 24" RSI? Or a picatinny rail? There are plenty of issues to wonder, rather to ponder until we see the product availability and pricing. I guess that makes for interesting threads. :?:

RSIno1

Hunter
gtxmonte said:
Maybe the secret is that Ruger should produce unchambered No1s with .22 barrels, .30 cal barrels, .35 cal, etc then everyone could just buy a gun and reamer and the universe would be happy.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Heliman said:
If Lipsey or whomever is only selling a couple of hundred of each caliber/configuration, I guarentee they could sell all the .348's produced. Heck, I'd buy two! :wink:

Dave

That only leaves about 248 to try to sell . . . . :wink:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
RSIno1 said:
Maybe the secret is that Ruger should produce unchambered No1s with .22 barrels, .30 cal barrels, .35 cal, etc then everyone could just buy a gun and reamer and the universe would be happy.

But ONLY if those unchambered guns come in all possible barrel profiles, lengths and stock styles.

Oh, and if Ruger will do the chambering you want at the factory before they ship them.

:roll:
:mrgreen:

trapperon

Blackhawk
I'm with Dave on the 348. I would take 2 and I know I can count on 4 more within my own family. Heck--250 sounds like a lot--but if you break it down to only 5 for each state--doesnt sound like very many at all!

Lets do it! ( 8 are spoken for already)!

Ron

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Time for a side-note:
Cimmarron sold 490+ Uberti-built 1885 High-Wall rifles chambered in 348 Winchester. I heard they sold the last few in the third year? I bought a beauty with double-set triggers, it is a 1" gun and has made venison.
The 1885 is still kicking, still in production. -Do I think Ruger could sell 500 348 Win No. 1 rifles in one season? Maybe half-that, IF they are accurate from the box.

info only. Not trying to start another useless wishlist.

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
I've waited patiently for so long....#1 in 358 Win, Pretty please? With sugar on top?

Santa says he wants a #1 in .358 Win. You wouldn't want to disappoint Santa now would you?!?

Ruger, you listening? Don't piss off Santa.