New Walther PPK- opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I had a PPK, German made and yes, it was ammo finnacky. Dunno if it was bullet shape or psi, but some were reliable and some weren't. For about 1/3 the price, my CZ 83 (32 auto) was completely reliable, much simpler, better trigger and a grip that better matched my hand. Occaisionally you can still find a new one in 32, but most are 380.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I considered the CZ 83. They cost nearly as much as the PPK and parts and mags are very pricey. Nice gun but I just like the Walther better. Still, in the unlikely event I found a really good deal on one I would certainly buy it.

eveled

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
Ian Fleming knew nothing about guns, that is obvious... but I think Bond should have carried a Sig 230... but I suspect it was not made when the first Bond books came out:

Sig230.jpg

Apparently Bond in his latest incarnation carries a Pps.

Even Sig can't top the good looks and curves of the 230/232... look at their latest pistols, I think they hired ex Glock designers.

I've discovered that they made this pistol in 9mm also, but it seems only for police in Europe. I would pay a lot for one of these in standard 9mm.... then again this 380 cost me $450 used with one magazine and extra magazines run $50 each.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
The PPK's arer sweet guns ,my gunsmith just got one ,it's an older one,one that was made when they were being imported by Interarms , but runs like a top,but it does "scrape " me a bit as I have thick hands ,it doesn't bite him as he's quite a bit smaller than I .As to Walther's I've always found them to be high quality guns in fact my backup gun is a Walther PPS 9MM.I know this is one of the "new breed" Walthers but it's uber relialble and would out shoot my Glock G19 alll day long even with the bbl being 8/10 of an inch shorter + it handles better than the glock.
lou

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Blume357 - I think the Sig 230 was chambered in the 9mm "Ultra" if I'm not mistaken which was not a 9x19 parabellum but more equivalent to a 9mm Makarov but based upon the .380 acp "souped up". I could be off somewhat but the blowback 230 was never chambered in 9mm Parabellum. Maybe someone else can add something.

The 230/232 has to be one the the doggondest prettiest pistols ever conceived.

I will never understand why most of the semi-auto pistol makers started going to 'square / box shaped'.... a handgun is supposed to have curves in my opinion.... and the more smooth rounded edges the better... kind of like a woman.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
I will never understand why most of the semi-auto pistol makers started going to 'square / box shaped'.... a handgun is supposed to have curves in my opinion.... and the more smooth rounded edges the better... kind of like a woman.

agreed. I don't wanna trash any guns in particular but I picked up my first XD the other day and my LGS, didn't buy it just looked at it. They are maybe worse the glocks about that.