New Walther PPK- opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hey guys. I'm a huge fan of the .32 ACP round and have decided I need a larger one as a companion to my Kel-Tec P32. After considering as many new, used, and milsurp options I'm about to order a new, stainless Walther PPK from an FFL friend. Please note that I am planning to purchase the PPK, not the PPK with the longer grip. I've fired the PPK in .380 and the TPH in .22 LR and was impressed with both of them.

So, I have some questions. Will the longer mags for the PP and PPK/s work in the PPK? Are the mags caliber specific? I will fire reloads almost exclusively. Do PPK's tend to be ammo finicky? Do they do well with lead bullets? Any opinions or experiences are appreciated!

Just saw this post... you might get a better response from some forum like the highroad or the firing line... but I'll bounce this one back to the top just in case.

I really can't answer your mag. questions... but I bet the mags are pistol specific....

I have a standard PPK in .380 and it is 'okay' ... this is the older model that will give you the PPK scrape on the top of your hand if not real careful... but it has always been reliable.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I grew up in the era of the REAL James Bond and suchlike influences, so of course was a PPK fan from a young age. When I grew up and finally procured one (and a PP, too), I found out that these iconic pistols are actually vastly overrated--particularly so in view of actually shooting/using/carrying them in the 21st Century.

That's not to say that they're bad guns, or don't work. But I compare them to, say, a '57 Chevy. A factory stock '57 Chevy will still get you around as well today as it ever did, BUT would you want to live with it on a daily basis, with no air conditioning, a tinny AM radio, no seat belts, no power steering, no disk brakes, thin, crummy bias-belt tires, seats like a bus stop bench, and so forth? Plus which you have to manually "tune it up" every few thousand miles.

In other words, there are much better solutions to any "PPK problem" available today. :wink:

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
The thing I hate about the PPK is that it bites the he** out of my hand whenever I shoot one. Forget that.

There are a lot of other guns out there that are plain better than the Walther PPK.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks guys. I'm a big fan of the .32 Auto and do alot of reloading for it. I already have a Kel-Tec for daily carry and it needs a stablemate. I've been shooting small autos for a long time and my grip is somewhat low to avoid slide bite.

If you like the .32 auto, I bet you would like the PPK model a lot better than the Kel-Tec.

I like the concealed feature of the PPK.... it is as small as I would ever want to get in a handgun, I think. I carry a Sig 230 in .380 and it is slightly larger and heaver than the PPK and in my opinion. But that is in .380.

I think you should get one of the PPKs.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
If you go with the PPK be warned.. at some point, probably when your alone.. you will find a mirror hold the firearm up and give your best James Bond impression.

It's inevitable, you can't stop it. :| This can also be a humble experience as it also drives home the point of how much we don't look anything like James Bond no matter which actor you try to imitate.

Connery must have small hands because that PPK always looked larger than it really is when ever he is carrying it...

but then a lot of time you weren't watching him at all....

eunice11.jpg

Rei40c

Blackhawk
lol yep. I think some of it was for dramatic effect. If you watch a lot of the old movies there's a lot of close ups of bond holding the gun very close to his face rounding a corner looking for the bad guy or whatever he may be doing.

The gun was a main character really and they kinda presented it that way in the movies. Lots of Hollywood added flare but it gave you the impression that no matter what the situation, invading a evil masterminds base ect. the PPK is all you'd really need. Bands of armed bad guys? helicopters and speed boats full of armed gunmen?? No problem! The PPK has got you covered. lol

In the first bond movie, 'Dr. No'... if you watch it in retrospect, Bond was not a nice guy.... much like the new Bond... just a little over the edge and would not hesitate to eliminate a problem.

Ian Fleming knew nothing about guns, that is obvious... but I think Bond should have carried a Sig 230... but I suspect it was not made when the first Bond books came out:

Sig230.jpg

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I just found a 230 Sig chambered in .32 acp. This is REALLY a shooter. I sort of gave up on PPK and PPK/s although I do feel that the one you can depend on would be a PPK or PP in .32 acp.

You have a find Trooper Joe! I've never shot the 32 acp but anything for a Sig 230.... According to Wikipedia and the blue book they were also made in standard 9mm for police, but I have never seen one.... I would love to have one in 9mm though.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I am curious as to why you are a fan of the .32. This would be one of the last calibers I would carry. I honestly think I would rather carry a .22lr with one of the new hot loads than a .32 or a .25. If you must carry something really small, then a .380 would be a much better choice IMO.

Not throwing stones, just voicing my curiosity and opinion.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
I honestly think I would rather carry a .22lr with one of the new hot loads than a .32 or a .25.
The only thing wrong with that idea is that rimmed, rimfire .22 ammo is not nearly as reliable in either function or ignition as centerfire rimless cartridges. .22 or .32 for self-defense? Put me down for the .32ACP, please, unless the .22LR option is an 8, 9, or 10 shot DA revolver, which can overcome the unreliability issues.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I am a reloader and have a real affinity for .32 handgun cartridges. They're all very accurate and easy to shoot, even in tiny guns such as my Kel-Tec. Very cheap too when you use cast bullets. I'm a big believer in using the most accurate and reliable gun which is comfortable to carry for defensive purposes. For me, that is my Kel-Tec most of the time, I can always have it at the ready no matter what I'm wearing. By reloading you can really wake up the .32. Most domestic .32 ammo is very mild owing to the number of old and/or cheaply constructed guns in this caliber that are in circulation.

Being that I am such a huge fan of .32's it makes perfect sense for me to have one of the most iconic .32's ever made. I like the revolvers too, I just picked up a nice H&R 733 in .32 S&W Long and have a Charter Undercoverette .32 Magnum on layaway.

Snake45

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Being that I am such a huge fan of .32's it makes perfect sense for me to have one of the most iconic .32's ever made.
Well there ya go. Nothing wrong with wanting one because it's "iconic," or "historic," or cool looking or you just want one or whatever. (This is still America, for a while yet anyway.) It's not the best "tool" for the job anymore (any job I can think of), but it's still a cool gun to own and reasonably fun to shoot, if you can figure out how to grip it so it doesn't open up the web of your hand like a pair of straight razors. :wink:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
As far as the grip goes, I shoot my tiny handguns more than all my other firearms so I am already in the habit of gripping them to avoid slide bite. I also think the PPK would be an ideal in-between carry gun, for when I can get away with a gun that is larger than my Kel-Tec or Beretta 21 but not my SR9c. The stainless construction is a big plus too.

I've always appreciated firearms that are a bit larger than the norm for a given cartridge. My long action Howa 1500 is at E.R. Shaw receiving a 24" magnum contour barrel in .257 Roberts right now. I would love to see Ruger come out with a 5" barrel SR9 sometime. I would love to acquire one of the scarce Marlin 336 Cowboy rifles in .30 WCF, they had a full octagon 26" tube. Finally, its well known around here that I love the Sixes and GP's in .38 Special; if it makes a good .357 then it will make an even better .38!! 8)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My reloads use the same bullet (made by Rim Rock Bullets) and nearly duplicate the velocity. My loads use a stout charge of Accurate #2. You won't find it in a reloading manual, a buddy of mine who is a real ballistics expert came up with it for me. My Kel-Tec with a mag full of them at 900 fps would give any miscreant a bad day, especially since I can shoot it fast and accurate. Putting them in a PPK only makes a good thing better!!

Latest posts