New to me Ruger P-95, possible problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Really, how can they say they will fix anything for free no matter the problem. People do tend to abuse firearms and some just can't be fixed or should not be fixed because the owner should not own a gun. More often than not, the fix is simple for someone that knows the gun... I suspect this one is a simple part replacement.

demented

Single-Sixer
One problem I've found with Ruger through the years is sometime there are tolerance issues with some parts. As example I had a P-97 that the extractor was short, this allowed to right side de-cock lever to fall off. I suspect this is a tolerance problem with this 95, something not quite to specs, can't see it being either the frame or slide but who knows? That's why I'd rather CS have a go at it. Part of the problem, Ruger has created, they have never been open about selling parts to allow users the try to fix issues. I understand why, there are people that have no business attempting to repair anything.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Al James said:
Best CS in the business in my experience. YMMV and apparently it does.

Yup ... Unfortunately ... It's too bad their customers need so much of their 'best' CS in the business .... I've never needed customer service for 20-25 year old Sigs ... or 10+ year old CZ's ... let alone a 2-3 year old P95, which most likely has a few hundred rounds through it at most.

Thank God for Ruger customer service !!! :D The 'best' in the business !!

REV

demented

Single-Sixer
Yes, I'm sad to say the last years I've had several Rugers that had to be returned for service, some as many as three times. As long as Ruger was willing to keep trying, I was willing, to a point, to let 'em. My list included two P-97's that took two trips back for various problems, a 345 that would not fire when trigger was pulled, this in spite of it NEVER being dry fired, mag or not, an LC9 that had light pins strikes and wouldn't lock open when empty and I won't even get into the SR-9 problems I had even after THREE trips back. One revolver problem, just one, a Sp 101 that made it to me with no rifling cut in the bore, shooting it with a full power .357 was interesting to say the least. Along with mandatory safety glasses, a good pair of gloves would have been nice also, it threw stuff everywhere. Hopefully Ruger will return to the days when problems were rare.

Al James

Hunter
Its never fun to have issues with a gun. Or if you sell guns....to recommend a gun to a customer and then have it come back missing parts or not functioning. I've dealt with the CS of pretty much every gun company at one time or another. Some seem to really suck and they do so consistently. Ruger has always been great....consistently.

Do your pet brands have customer service departments Rev? Why? That's what I thought. :wink: Ruger used to be one of our least problematic gun companies. But they would still have a lemon occasionally. Ruger CS has had their hands full lately. Voluntary recalls [not silent like some makers] will do that, introducing completely new models can introduce issues, or starting a completely new factory like Ruger has done. All the while don't forget they have been dominating the markets based on actual sales. How companies handle THEIR mistakes can really make a big difference in a customers perceptions of service. From cars to guns...it means something.

Man made mechanical devices DO break or need adjustment at times. Even your vaunted "top-shelf" pistols like to throw parts occasionally. And when they do...its nice to have a company that stands behind their product. I have sent back plenty of Sigs, Glocks, S&W's, etc. For years Sigs were notorious for breaking MIM parts. Slide catch...snap. Extractors...snap. Decockers....snap. Take down levers....snap. Order a new part from Sig to install and it shows up and says "Made in India". LOL top shelf marketing works.

You "most likely" don't have a clue how many rounds have been through the P95 demented is having issues with. And just as a reminder for everyone here reading....How many P95's have you owned Rev? Oh that's right, now I remember.....ZERO [0]......

Just for giggles I googled "broken Sig" and then "broken Ruger". Interesting....Sigs do break AND it sounds like their CS can really suck at times too. Remember Rev....You are one man with a few samples. Your 20 year old Sigs are not the Sigs of today. Just like Ruger is not the same company as it was when WBR was alive and running things. There are ups and downs with every company. Its how a company owns its screw ups that makes a difference.

Run a volume gun store for a few years and get a little [any] experience with the various CS departments. Then you can speak from experience rather than from your "my equipment is the best" position.

You sure do spend a lot of time trying to provoke me. And a lot of time talking about how awesome your couple of Sigs and CZ's are....on a Ruger forum. Just saying.....

demented

Single-Sixer
Try SIG or Beretta customer service if you do need a return. Nightmare of biblical proportion dealing with either. S&W at one time rivaled Ruger for working on firearms on their dime, lately they've become harder to deal with. I've sent Glocks and Walthers back also so Ruger ain't got the return market cornered by any means. I hope the new Ruger American is a success, Ruger needs a service grade pistol thats better than the SR's, thats for sure.

revhigh said:
Al James said:

Yup ... Unfortunately ... It's too bad their customers need so much of their 'best' CS in the business .... I've never needed customer service for 20-25 year old Sigs ... or 10+ year old CZ's ... let alone a 2-3 year old P95, which most likely has a few hundred rounds through it at most.

REV

lol +1

revhigh said:
Al James said:

REV

But I own over 20 Rugers (4 of them are P95s) and have never had a problem with any of them... how can this be?

demented said:
there was no mention of no parts available so my guess is there are P-95 parts in stock. I doubt they will sell those parts but they do have them.

Well you answered your own question in the other thread. So what's the problem?

demented said:
there was no mention of no parts available so my guess is there are P-95 parts in stock. I doubt they will sell those parts but they do have them.

Ruger never said they had them. "Not supported anymore", I believe was the term they used on the phone.

demented

Single-Sixer
They have parts, they just ain't gonna let you or me buy any, they are saving them for later model 95's they feel they still have to fix. After enough time passes, the parts they have will be unavailable in any instance. Helluva deal, Ruger has never let us purchase spare parts, then they decide to drop firearms and here we go, no ways to gets parts at all.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
I've never needed customer service for 20-25 year old Sigs ... or 10+ year old CZ's ...

Hi,

Rev, I've had occasion to check CZ's customer service!

Shortly after purchasing my CZ-75B--mid-2002--I wrote to them asking what "field repair kit" parts they recommended for the range box. I got a nice reply from Mike (Eagleshield?), who was their onsite gunsmith at the time. He suggested I'd probably want to change the barrel, at about 50,000 rounds. At the rate I currently shoot that gun, we're talking about 250-275 years to reach that number, so I'm not gonna worry TOO much about wearing out a barrel... ;)

Rick C

demented

Single-Sixer
My 95 came back from Ruger today, its all better now. Cost to me was zero, they took care of shipping both ways, new trigger bar installed. This plus the recoil guide assembly they sent for my other 95 have me ready to go.

Al James

Hunter
Glad to hear they got it running again! And it didn't cost you anything but your time. Great news!

welder

Buckeye
blume357 said:
Yippee! Lot of hoopla.... and the final word is Ruger Customer Service comes through...

for those that discount the P series and Ruger... :p

Lot of hoopla indeed.

Good on Ruger.