New LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pmmm

Bearcat
Just bought an LC9 on Thursday. I went to the range on Friday and today. So far I have fired 435 rounds with zero problems. I really like this little pistol and will relegate it to CC usage after another couple hundred rounds. The trigger is a little long especially compared to my 1911 style pistols. But it is smooth with no drag or other anomalies. I was actually rather impressed by the gun. The recoil is very manageable and it's quite quick to get back on target.

I do have one question that I can't seem to find the answer to. How many rounds can be fired before the recoil springs are recommended to be replaced? I couldn't seem to find it in the owners manual.

By the way I'm new to this forum and this is my first Ruger. Nice gun!

Regards,

Pat

:D

welder

Buckeye
pmmm, welcome to the group.
As a rule of thumb for myself when it comes to the little 9mm's, I try to change the spring around 2000-2500. That's my own regimen and I will not argue the point with anyone over it. The little guns with the shorter, lighter, and less mass slides take a bit more abuse so the hastened schedule is appropriate in my opinion. The springs are relatively inexpensive and the insurance against battered guns is worth it IMO.

pmmm

Bearcat
welder said:
pmmm, welcome to the group.
As a rule of thumb for myself when it comes to the little 9mm's, I try to change the spring around 2000-2500. That's my own regimen and I will not argue the point with anyone over it. The little guns with the shorter, lighter, and less mass slides take a bit more abuse so the hastened schedule is appropriate in my opinion. The springs are relatively inexpensive and the insurance against battered guns is worth it IMO.

Thank you for the welcome and answer. I ask only because most 1911 style guns specify when to change recoil springs and most are well below the amount mentioned here. At any rate they are very inexpensive and I a couple coming to add to my parts store.

Thanks again for the reply's. I appreciate that.

Regards,

Pat

pmmm

Bearcat
So I sent an email to Ruger in an attempt to get an answer regarding when or how often to change the recoil springs. Here is the response I got from the customer service department. It's a non answer in my opinion and gave me zero information. I also thought it a rather odd answer.

Comment / question:

I have a new LC9 pistol just purchased the other day. How many rounds can be fired before the recoil spring needs to be replaced? I could not find this fact in the owners manual.

Thank you,

Pat

Response:
Ruger firearms have a very good reputation for service life; we have not experienced a common breakage of any particular component. With proper handling and care, you should receive many years of service from our products. We refrain from putting a round count on any of our pistols because there are so many variables that can affect the life of a pistol. We have no control over these variables, such as, type of ammo used, overall care and cleaning, abuse etc. If the pistol is cared for and only ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is used, you will receive many years of service from your firearm. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, MST Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

Ok thanks for the non answer. I guess you wait until the gun does not fire properly and then send it to Ruger for them to figure out???

Don't get me wrong I love the gun thus far. 435 rounds fired and it's been perfect. I see they offer the springs for sale and they are cheap by anyones standards, but I certainly thought I would get a more complete answer. At the very least one would think that a range of rounds could be appropriate.

No worries for 5 bucks I wil keep a set around just in case. I wonder if they would have the same answer for the guide rod?

Happy shooting.

Pat

welder

Buckeye
I agree, that is a non answer. I will tell you a little trick a Glock armorer told me: Pull the slide out of battery about a half inch with a dummy round (for safety) and gently let it go. If the spring is good it will finish the closure by it's self, with out the inertia of the slide. I fired a G19 several thousand rounds before it failed this test. The gun was still functioning fine but I changed the spring to prevent any battering.

pmmm

Bearcat
Good advice Welder thanks very much I appreciate that.

Regards,

Pat

CET2012

Bearcat
Ha ha, Ruger gave you a political answer rather than a gunsmith's advice.
Spring replacement? Oh no you should enjoy many happy years shooting this perfect machine. :)
I think its like asking the car painter how to paint your car..he's like, "Hey, that's my job!"
Ruger doesnt want us customizing their highly engineered LC9. Its like asking a Thai chef for the salt, pepper and mustard. They freak out because we tried to improve their product as if it were some sort of criticism of their performance but hey, I'll have salt and pepper if I want.
I will also make any mods I want to make within reason. Ruger should not take this the wrong way. I seek to improve the perfomance of my LC9 because I love it. Same goes for my 2006 Mustang GT. :)

Latest posts