new blackhawk, how to remove internal lock?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I've got three IL-equipped revolvers: two late-model Flattop Blackhawks and a Smith Airweight 638. I've had no problems with any of them. The 638 is my carry piece. Either it or one of the Blackhawks is within arms reach while I'm at home.

And no, I don't consider myself a "lock-apologist." That's just the way the world is right now. I doubt either Ruger or S&W would have bothered to put locks on their guns in the first place if they hadn't been badgered into it by unscrupulous lawyers and politicians (but I repeat myself).

Remember, in Ruger's case this was a company that was successfully sued by an idiot who shot himself in the leg trying to unload his OM Blackhawk while driving down a rough gravel road...at night. Is it any wonder they're a little gun-shy, so to speak, about frivolous lawsuits? Especially with all the fools at the local, state, and federal levels pushing "safe storage" and other nitpicky requirements?

The best way to get the locks to go away is to restore a modicum of common sense and rationality to our culture. That would solve a lot of problems...most of which have nothing to do with guns and their function.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
contender, are saying that some one actually put a lock in a 1911. @%&$@$^#%^&#$%&$%^&^(#$%^#%&#$% sob's. and further more @%(&*)&^*(&*%^&$^*%^&. Rant over for the time being

Rclark

Hunter
I do, however, just ignore the locks.
You can do that... but I know and you know they are still there. And it need NOT be there is the whole point. Also know it's there every time I pull back the hammer. The hammer has a completely different feel than a 'normal' Blackhawk.

to restore a modicum of common sense and rationality to our culture.
Not going to happen as long as everything bad that happens is 'someone' else's fault. People have to get back to basic self responsibility.

because DUMB people leave loaded guns around their house with kids left alone.
Yes, BUT you CAN'T legislate 'dumb' away. Every time you try, it affects us 'law' abiding citizens because we abide by the law. Every gun law on the books affects ME. Doesn't affect the criminal who doesn't care (may not even know how to read) about laws and regulations, section 1.034,5.5.5 of code x...... When my kids were little, guns were up and out of the way. A bit older, they learned how to use 'em. Curiosity satisfied. No problem.

jpickar

Blackhawk
J Miller you are right on.

I have only seen a picture of this Ruger lock so this is not a a totally informed question--------------BUT

Couldn't you just take out the strut, mainspring and mainspring support and replace them with the regular ones????

Thanks, John

ebg3

Bearcat
jpickar":fm9y4hqs said:
J Miller you are right on.

I have only seen a picture of this Ruger lock so this is not a a totally informed question--------------BUT

Couldn't you just take out the strut, mainspring and mainspring support and replace them with the regular ones????

Thanks, John
That's what I was hoping for when I got mine home and started taking it apart...nope, you can't do it! The frame is formed differently to accomodate the lock.

I wonder if the lock was an option just how many peolpe would select it? I would not.

jpickar

Blackhawk
After looking at the picture again-----------------------

it this possible,

to put in a regular strut and mainspring and make a mainspring support that will work witht he new grip frame.

I don't know I am just speculating here.

John

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
contender":4cc9t07u said:
Actually the infernal lock mechanisms came about due to legislation in a couple of states mandating guns HAVE a lock system on them to "prevent unauthorized use." And of course,, if you choose to not lock your gun,, and some thug steals it, & uses it,, they get to go after you,, not the thug! The manufacturers want to sell products,, so they had to design infernal locks.
I think that Springfield (in the 1911's) and Ruger have hit upon the best methods so far. Their locks do not interfer with normal operations.

Actually no state requres that a gun has to have an internal lock. The closest is Maryland. They require that any handgun sold by a dealer have either an internal lock, or a Barrel Lock.

Here are the two barrel locks I know of that are authorized for use in new firearms without an internal lock.
http://www.omegagunlock.com/productline.htm
http://www.fenrir.com/interbore/interbore.htm

Basically Ruger did not need to introduce an internal lock in any handguns, all they needed to do to satisfy the Maryland law was to include a barrel lock with the handgun.

Charlie

Otony

Blackhawk
jpickar":24oycig7 said:
After looking at the picture again-----------------------

it this possible,

to put in a regular strut and mainspring and make a mainspring support that will work witht he new grip frame.

I don't know I am just speculating here.

John

Yes. If you get out your hacksaw, files, and a piece of aluminum it is a few hours work. Unless you have a mill handy, then it might take a little longer. :roll: It is nothing too terribly complicated.

Note, I am not suggesting you do this, mind you, just informing you it can be done.

wd4ins

Bearcat
J Miller I'm with you! I Know exactly how you fell. When someone tries to protect me from myself because some dumba$$ screwed up it really chaps my butt. I will not buy a gun with a internal lock Period.

contender

Ruger Guru
Two bit okie; Yes,, Springfield (actually master gunsmith Dave Williams,) developed an infernal lock as well. I know,, I was at Springfield shortly after he'd designed it. It's in the mainspring housing,, and like Ruger,, it won't interfere with the function at all. PLUS,,,, you can swap out the mainspring housing with an aftermarket one quite easily if you so desire.

BrokNAirow

Bearcat
contender":2rzv0eyz said:
Two bit okie; Yes,, Springfield (actually master gunsmith Dave Williams,) developed an infernal lock as well. I know,, I was at Springfield shortly after he'd designed it. It's in the mainspring housing,, and like Ruger,, it won't interfere with the function at all. PLUS,,,, you can swap out the mainspring housing with an aftermarket one quite easily if you so desire.

Everyone has and opinion and like the saying goes ...you can't please all the people all the time...don't like it don't buy it.. it's just that simple...or just swap it out with aftermarket....

I'm Brok :mrgreen:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
BrokNAirow":sokajfqg said:
Everyone has and opinion and like the saying goes ...you can't please all the people all the time...don't like it don't buy it.. it's just that simple...or just swap it out with aftermarket....

I'm Brok :mrgreen:

That would be way too easy. Having a hissy fit on the interwebs is much more impressive way to win friends and influence people. :mrgreen:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm a Ruger Collector and a Ruger Shooter. I've no problem with buying "collectible" locked equipped Rugers. I don't care for the "whimpy mainsprings", though, so my shooters end up being sans lock.

flatgate

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I went to lunch yesterday with an ADA with more than 25 years of prosecutorial experience. He has prosecuted hundreds of gun crimes, which is ironic as he is a Benefactor Member of the NRA. He gave me a detailed explanation of what and what is not legal. This is a short version of our lunch.

Before you can talk about removing a safety you must first define what is a safety. There are two types of safeties #1 safeties that prevent accidental discharge (1911 thumb & grip safeties, cross bolt, transfer bar, etc.) and #2 safeties that prevent unauthorized use (trigger or barrel locks, S&W ILS, Springfield Armory ILS, Ruger internal grip lock, etc.).

Removing or incapacitating type #1 safeties will help get you a jail sentence even if the shooting was considered a good shoot. Why? You have removed or incapacitated an engineered safety that was designed to allow the shooter an extra safety of margin before a bullet leaves the weapon.

Type #2 safeties can be supplemented by locking up the gun or removing the ammo. If replacing the grip frame (Ruger) or mainspring housing (1911) removes the safety a supplemental security system can still be used.

The problem with type #2 safeties comes when you remove the S&W ILS or weld a piece of aluminum to the inside the Ruger frame just to bypass the safety. A prosecutor can use the information against you.

RSIno1

Hunter
Found this on another site:
I figured out that Ruger makes one! My Bearcat spring seat is the longest seat made for the Ruger single actions, go figure!! And it just bridges the gap in the grip frames with internal lock! So I starting using those. The beauty of it is that the temporary pin holding the spring compressed, sits in the groove in the top of the Bearcat seat and the bottom end of the strut goes thru the seat just like it would in the lock. Don't have to dismount the spring from the strut. In fact you don't even need to remove the grip frame! Just place the Bearcat seat on the strut below the spring and pin, and insert together into the grip frame and onto the two shelves. Now cock the hammer, remove the spring retaining pin and drop the hammer.
YyVN72vl.jpg

Enigma

Hunter
So, did anyone answer the OP's question? I refuse to read 3 pages in order to determine that.

To the OP: Order a pre-lock (or POST-lock) Blackhawk mainspring and strut. Add a Bearcat mainspring retainer. These parts will drop right into your current grip frame, and will eliminate the lock. Standard grips will now fit your gun. You'll probably spend more on postage than you will on the actual parts.

Latest posts