My new-to-me Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rifleman

Bearcat
This afternoon I went to my local gun shop/range to do some shooting. While in the shop, I looked over a 4" Security Six that I had been considering for some time. The owner, a good friend, offered to let me shoot the revolver and even fronted a box of ammo. Well, long story short, I really liked this old piece. It shot to the point of aim, was pleasingly accurate, and had a good trigger. While it isn't mint, it is a good , clean reliable revolver. I love it when one follows me home. :D

wixedmords

Blackhawk
They are fine firearms Rifleman. Did you get a blued SS or stainless?

I have a few in the stable now. No plans to get rid of them ever.

Very strong, mid-sized in stature, classic looks. What's not to like.

I am glad you are quite taken with yours. Enjoy it.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,

The Six series revolvers are the best kept secret going in revolvers. Stronger than the popular S&W model 19/66 and lighter than a Ruger GP100. They are accurate and with time the triggers become very good. I have a Police Service Six and the revolver is one of the guns I will never sell. It has aged like fine wine. The revolver was made in 1985.

Enjoy your new revolver,
roaddog28

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
roaddog28":5mjpg8rh said:
Hi,

The Six series revolvers are the best kept secret going in revolvers.
roaddog28

This comment is 100% true. God went to a great party the night before Ruger designed this revolver.

Dave

003.jpg

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
For my money the Sixes series are the perfect all around DA revolvers. Too bad the costs to produce them led to their being replaced. The GP is a great gun but I love all the sixes.

A

Anonymous

I have had mine for about 30 years. At some point I cracked the forcing cone so I replaced the barrel. All I could find was a SS bbl., so I recently swapped out the Cyl for SS one too. I kinda liks 2 tone revolvers anyway....This is the only gun I own that has history...if you know what I mean.

2010_0326sixsecurity0001.jpg

2010_0326sixsecurity0002.jpg

JSam

Bearcat
Picked up a Speed-Six a few weeks ago from 1974. Hope to finally shoot it this weekend if my reloading components come in. I love the size and feel in the hand.
Glad to hear I made a wise choice.

pawncop

Blackhawk
It was a 6" 1977 model Security Six that led me to this forum. Picked it up in 2005 for a really good price.

They are one of the best revolvers around.

Rifleman

Bearcat
Mine is a blued carbon steel version. It came with a Pachmair Presentation rubber grip that is functional and comfortable, but I'm wanting to replace it with some wood. I've long been a S&W DA revolver guy and a Ruger SA revolver guy, but this Security Six is growing on me.

bigtubby

Single-Sixer
Found my speed six about a month ago i am er was a smith and colt guy, went to buy some ammo and the guy offers me the speed six i didn't know any thing about them but bought it anyways. It is now one of my favorite guns, my python is still my favorite! But the ruger was a score $375.00
003-3.jpg

004-6.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Pythons are the shizzle. I got one in my future, but the Sixers are awesome in their own right. Plus, you don't have re-time them like the Pythons. I'm trying to talk dad out of his security six, still...

rpludwig

Bearcat
+1 on the Security Six...have a 4"SS, 1976 Centennial model that is a great all around DA. Cyl binds up a bit after shooting 50+ rds due to close cyl/bbl tolerance, otherwise a great gun.