My New addition SBH 44mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merlin1274

Bearcat
Stainless with 7.5 in Barrel. It is in excellent condition. Nice shiny bore, Cyclinder is nice and shiny too. The more I read about the SBH the more I wanted one. So the trade for me was worth it.
Now time to find some scope rings and scope. Any suggestions?

Joe S.

Hunter
may want to call ruger! they forgot to finish your new gun!

may i be nosy? what did you trade?

Rclark

Hunter
Got one (with wood grips) that looks just like that one. While nothing compares to a .45 Colt revolver IMO ;) , you'll still enjoy shooting (it'll be a blast) the .44Mag SBH hah! :D . Can't help with scopes as none of my SAs have scopes. Anyway, let us know how it shoots!

Joe S.

Hunter
I have two friends with the Leupold m8 scopes in i think 2.5x and like em!
I had a 3x Burris on mine for a while. Other than i couldnt shoot offhand with it i liked it. It was dead on at 100 off the bench and would shoot 2" groups. I am shooting a hot loaded 45 tho. Not a 44.

Merlin1274

Bearcat
I went and shot it today.. Man its sweet. That lipsey could not handle the hotter loads. Since it was on the smaller frame. .44 is what the Doc ordered.. Now I can't wait till deer season to start again. But I should be able to get a pig or 2 before then.

Rclark

Hunter
I keep my mid frame for the smaller heavy stuff.
Me too. From black bear to Moose protection the midframe should handle it just fine. A 260g - 280g bullet at 1100fps should be plenty.... Brian Pearce's son got a big Black Bear with his .45 Colt flattop last year (or was that the year before already, mentioned in a Handloader article). But for Grizz or the Cape Buffalo, the large frame would be best.

Your .44Mag will handle that and more. Sorry we are getting off track a bit as this is really a .44Mag thread now :) .

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I bought a Millet and a Simmons for my super Blackhawk hunter in 44 mag and found both to be pretty worthless--I've gone back to developing my skills with the iron sights. If I had the money I would definitely look into the higher-end Leupold.

I bought my SBH to go after deer; I find the "dancing reticle" through scopes at a difficult to find and hold eye-relief distance as something that would probably cause me to lose time acquiring and getting a shot off before getting busted. A very high-quality red-dot or HUD may be the way to go to alleviate that.

PS: @RClark--the 45 colt is a fine weapon and may be able to deliver a hail-mary pass at some large game (better make sure it goes to the right place or you'll become the game) but it's not in the same performance class as the 44 mag as a hunter.

gpoldblue

Bearcat
merlin1274..........I have a SBH exactly like yours...Pachmyrs,Mag-na-ported,Weaver scope base and rings,and a Leupold 2x scope.
Wouldn't trade it or change it in any way....LOVE it!!!! Good luck.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Weaver makes a mount that doesn't require you to drill/tap the topstrap of your gun. Have no experience with it but others report they like it. The really good mounts will require drilling and tapping the topstrap to use the mount, but they offer a much stronger, more solid hold. Examples of drill/tap mounts: http://www.jackweigand.com or http://www.egwguns.com both offer rock-solid scope mounting platforms for Ruger revolvers, as does http://www.sskindustries.com with their TSOB mount. If you were to have located a Super Blackhawk Hunter model, you'd already have the mount that comes with that model.

Scopes would be a personal choice between a regular scope or a red dot of some kind. Experimentation on your part is the best way to find what works best for YOU. What suits one person may not suit you at all. Try some different models if you can before you buy. Congrats on your new Super and good luck with it!

john123456

Bearcat
hey triggerpull not trying to be rude but a properly loaded 45colt is in the same class as a 44 mag for hunting or anything else. maybe do a lil bit of research on ruger /tc loads for the 45 colt and you will see. agian not trying to be rude but that just simply is not the case and nice new 44 congrats merlin

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
john123456 said:
hey triggerpull not trying to be rude but a properly loaded 45colt is in the same class as a 44 mag for hunting or anything else. maybe do a lil bit of research on ruger /tc loads for the 45 colt and you will see. agian not trying to be rude but that just simply is not the case and nice new 44 congrats merlin
Yeah I know about the black-hole arguments of hot-rodding 45 lc to make it something which it was not intended to be. If you are talking non hot-rodded SAAMI compliant--I say no way.

Merlin1274

Bearcat
I was at the range Yesterday. At 35 yards I had no problem on a rest. Keeping nice groups in a 6" circle with the open sights. I am sure with some tweaking with reloads I could tighten that up some.. But it sure does not like the PMC JHPs.. They were all over the place.. It likes the 240 grain SPs Winchester and Fiochi. I like shooting it more then the Redhawk. But I like the double Action the Redhawk provides. Its just not as accurate and the SBH.. I am sure I could do better with it too with reloads.