Ruger QC and my 2nd New Wiley Clapp SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scooter1942

Bearcat
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for awhile, but this is my first post. I've been a S&W guy for quite some time and I've had a handful of Ruger revolvers over the years but have only recently started to grow my Ruger collection. Recently I purchased a couple of stainless Blackhawk's and a New Vaquero and have found the fit and finish to be outstanding. I've also recently purchased two Ruger made Marlin's and would argue that they are nicer than any of the original JM Marlin's. Beautiful deep bluing, gorgeous black walnut furniture and some real attention to detail.

But, I haven't had the same experience with the SP101. I've owned probably four of these over the years. I had a 9mm that shot fine but it looked as if it had been pieced together from different guns. Fit and finish was so bad that I had to ask Ruger if it was even safe to shoot. I currently have a 2" SP101 that's a little older that is just fine after an M Carbo trigger job. No complaints there. A month or so ago I got a great deal on a .357 3" SP101. The trigger was decent out of the box but it grouped horribly and only hit to point of aim with Federal HST. Everything else was so far off as to be unusable. I sold it. Then I noticed the Wiley Clapp 3" models with Novak sights. While not fully adjustable, they'd give me some "windage" adjustment and would provide a better sight picture. I ordered one on-line at full retail and the first one arrived last week. I refused delivery...the barrel was out of time, so much so that the front sight was canted heavily counter-clockwise and the flat top of the barrel was clearly not parallel with the top of the frame. We're not talking just a little off...I'm talking "how did this get out of the factory...off".

I reordered another Wiley Clapp which arrived today. The sights were straight, fit and finish initially looked great, trigger was crisp but heavy. However, once I got it home I discovered something that I mistook for grease on my cursory inspection. On the left side of the top strap, there's what looks to be a milling mark where the tooling that was intended to make contact under the top strap actually hit the side...or, the milling created an indent/crack in the frame. While the end result might be purely cosmetic, again I have to wonder about the QC on the SP101 assembly line. And in this case, I also wonder if this is safe to shoot for the long haul. I realize Ruger's tend to be overbuilt, but it is almost as if a stress fracture has been built into the gun. Provided this one shoots to POA, I'd like to keep it and I'll just live with the imperfection, provided it is safe. But, I also wonder if I should send it back to Ruger before shooting it and hope they can send me a flawless example. I do shoot reloads and don't want them to come back at a later date and refuse to warranty it based on that fact, when it is imperfect straight out of the box.

I've attached a pic. What would you do? Shoot the crap out of it or keep pushing until I get a revolver worthy of full retail?

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 179
A few years back I ordered a SP101 9mm. When it arrived it was shockingly poorly machined and finished. I also questioned whether it was even safe to fire. Every time I looked at it I got mad. I finally sold it to someone who didn't seem to have my concerns.

Ruger needs to figure out which of their employees working on the SP101 line needs new eyeglasses. Or harsh treatment in a re-training program.

gunzo

Hunter
That is a casting flaw, air pocket, pin hole, or the like. It may not affect strength gut personally I'd not want it.

Make the call, Ruger will give you an RMA #, & in my experiences UPS will pick it up & they will have the shipping label. They will usually take care of it quickly.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Every manufacturer screws up occasionally. Even Ruger.
30 years ago I bought a new polished stainless, fixed sight Old Army. It arrived and was gorgeous.
I looked down the barrel and strangely there was a groove running across the bottom of the barrel by the loading lever retainer.
Apparently when the cut was made for the retainer it went too deep and in to the barrel.
Ruger replaced the pistol and upgraded it with the faux ivory grips, no charge.

larry8

Single-Sixer
You are right that even Ruger can f'up once in a while. but they usually do very good work. I just bought a ss Redhawk that was (and is) the nicest revolver that I own with the exception of my Super Redhawk I got several months ago. I was so amazed at the fit and finish of the SR that I bought the Redhawk. Truely amazing quality. And the smoothest triggers of any of my other revolvers.

hittman

Staff member
My Redhawks have some of the smoothest actions I've EVER had on a double action. Bar none.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I like Ruger, but they need the negative feedback when they screw up. This defect should've been detected and never allowed out of the factory.

When people accept defective items, the manufacturer has no clue nor incentive to fix what's wrong.

Send it back; ultimately you're doing their customers a favor and doing Ruger a favor.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

A POLITE call to customer service,, and explain your issues. Request a RMR tag. Politely allow the frame has an obvious defect.

They will make it right.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Appears to be a casting flaw. It, by itself, on the surface may be just cosmetic. But if there is one, are there or could there be others? I would send it back.

Welcome to the Forum!

Star43

Blackhawk
I would send it back. In my opinion, that gun never should have left the factory like that. Yeah, it's cosmetic and the gun would probably be ok, but that isn't the point. That is the way to help stop these things from happening again, IMO.

Star43

Blackhawk
I would send it back. In my opinion, that gun never should have left the factory like that. Yeah, it's cosmetic and the gun would probably be ok, but that isn't the point. That is the way to help stop these things from happening again, IMO.
Oh .......And welcome to the forum. 🙂

Second the casting flaw, don't believe it's a machining issue.
No way to know how many other flaws are in that casting, without x-ray/radiograph. I'm not too particular but I'd
be returning it.
By itself it may be cosmetic, but if it's got a bunch of other inclusions hiding in the same area, then not so much.

Iroc

Bearcat
I've got a few Rugers and from what I've seen Ruger doesn't make a perfect gun, but looking at yours I don't think I would except that one.

magpouch

Single-Sixer
Casting issue, likely minor but i've followed them (grinding them) a good long ways too. Contact Ruger and show them that photo. NDT should have failed that part and scrapper or repaired it prior to building on it...

Star43

Blackhawk
I hate to say this but it makes me wonder how many go out the door looking like that ?? Sure, you rightfully took the time and effort to point it out, but how many other guys just aren't saying anything about their possible problems. Anyone would surely think that QC would not let that gun leave the building in the first place.....I don't think this would have happened back in the day when Mr. Ruger was around .......it's just the way things are these days. I saw a S&W revolver the other day, and this was not the first time either, that I asked the guy behind the counter if it was a new gun or used ?? I honestly did not know....He just kind of laughed and said "of course it's new".... I was not too impressed with the gun or him.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I hate to say this but it makes me wonder how many go out the door looking like that ?? Sure, you rightfully took the time and effort to point it out, but how many other guys just aren't saying anything about their possible problems.

I am guilty of that. In 2010 I bought a new Bisley style Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Beautiful revolver. However its ejector shroud had a deep divot in it and a scratch near the serial number (still visible). I called Ruger to get a replacement shroud, but did not emphasize that mine was flawed when new - I thought they wouldn't believe me. So, I actually paid for the new shroud and Ruger didn't realize they shipped a flawed product.

Still a nice revolver, though.

IMG_2006.jpeg

Latest posts