My GP100 sent in to Patriot Gun Polishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rallye_red

Bearcat
After thinking about this for too long, I sent in my GP100 to Patriot Gun Polishing in Florida. Its owned by Robert Kealy (a USMC veteran). I just received the gun back Monday. It looks amazing! Robert did a phenomenal job! Truly a work of art. I definitely could not have come close to this quality doing it myself. I've owned factory polished guns before, but again, they weren't even close to this. I also picked up some custom inserts that really bring things together.

Robert was a total professional from start to finish. Turn around time was excellent.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
I'll say it before any one else does "OOOHHH Shiny", very nice job.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
"You will ride eternal. Shiny and Chrome!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5Jkvcf4TU

CraigC

Hawkeye
Well, it's shiny but that's about all I can say. There is no care taken to keep the flat surfaces flat or the edges crisp. The barrel rib is also polished, which kinda defeats the purpose. There's a reason why S&W used to checker and then later bead blasted the top rib. Did this guy use to work for Gary Reeder?

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Very nice. I really like the look of polished revolvers when done nicely like this one. I'd get my SS Redhawk done, but it's my hunting and woods gun and polished isn't really the right finish for that task.

RME

Blackhawk
Fantastic looking GP. He did an excellent polishing job. He hit the edges just enough to blend them in perfectly and not round them off. I think you made an excellent choice to go with Patriot.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The edges certainly are rounded off, it looks like a "melt" job. The edges are rolled-over, the screw holes and bolt notches are dished out, there's not a flat surface to be found. I've seen other guns they did where the triggerguard and frame were polished separately, leaving a wallow in the joint between them. There's a picture on his Facebook page where he did the same thing with a Blackhawk. It looks terrible. This is exactly the kind of work we complain about on old refinished Colt SAA's. If you think this is quality work, you don't know what you're looking at but the evidence is all right there in the pics. All you have to do is look at the way light reflects off those surfaces.

11781764_905510102828072_6549486187375712196_n.jpg

RME

Blackhawk
Your polishing job by Patriot looks fantastic. Let the polishing professionals (Patriot) be in charge of polishing and getting it right. All others are welcome to their own opinions.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It doesn't take a "professional" to look at the work and tell it's not properly done. Just an informed consumer. Gary Reeder might be considered a "professional" but his work is still terrible.

ReederBadBisleyConversion_zps910e5ef8.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm sorry that some folks have paid good money for this work and are happy with it but I cannot in good conscience let this pass as quality work.

This kind of "professional" work has ruined more old guns than one can imagine. The trough between the grip frame and receiver is simply unforgivable.

Overpolished%20Blackhawk.jpg

GKC

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
Well, it's shiny but that's about all I can say.

If only you had... :roll:

It's obviously not up to your standards, but the gun owner is happy with it, and that's what matters. I guess I'm ignorant too, because I think it looks great.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Sorry but I can't listen to praise after praise when I know it's wrong. It's obviously true that some people don't know what they're looking at. How does anyone know if you don't tell them?