my alaska custom ruger and rig...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spencer

Single-Sixer
onehandgunner said:
I am proud of you. That is the way a gun is supposed to look.

I second that!!! Looks awesome. If you ever think about rebluing that gun, We will send out a hit to break both your legs!!! :-D

More pics guys!! We need more pics!!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Hey, I got some of those . this .41 gets dragged around fearlessly and gets used to test every Crazy interweb reload formula I see posted .
Free-wheeled ,firelapped ( so it loves cast bullets ) , pretty slick inside and points like the finger of GOD.
Refinish some day ? Nahhhhhh. It stays ugly so my pretty guns can stay pretty.

This 45 colt Vaq. is not far behind in the fearless to carry dept. I just found it a 45 acp cyl. that fits real good so it's mileage may catch up.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I like the grips on that .41
When I bought thumper back in the late 80's.... (used as new)... it had the pach's on it....
they were the rage for a while, and I have other guns wearing them. But with the really heavy recoiling rounds they can tear my palm a bit, after a few cylinders....
I intend on swapping them out soon.....

this an old image of thumper.. not long after I got to Alaska.... she was in a bit better shape.. in fact I don't think it was ever in a holster before I moved to Alaska...

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
junebug 1 said:
Nice set! I like the knife too,could you tell some particulars about it and who made it?

I have two of these knives....
They were made by a gentleman back in Minnesota. They are Damascus, forged from old chainsaw chains...
One (shown), has a three inch blade.. the other a 5 inch.... They are really cool knives, but the spine is a bit thick in my opinion, to be a good hunting, skinning knife..
However they make great general duty knives, which is what all my knives do most of the time.
Both are up at my homestead at the moment... I'll try and take better pics this fall... As the blades are really cool..

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
reuben_j_cogburn said:
After seeing all the amazing custom gun work lately, I just couldn't help but show mine off as well..... :wink:
The custom faux bluing pattern is unique to the gun and changes almost daily...... I have found that continually drawing and re inserting it into my usually rather damp holster has buffed certain area's to a nifty bright shine...
Who needs stainless!! or those costly bluing tanks!
The equally custom texture to the holster was lovingly applied by rocks gravel, mud and water.......
It appears that even the brass of my ammo has taken on a bit of a dull luster......

See.. all ya really gotta do to get a true custom is to drag it out into the sticks.. (kicking and screaming, I'm thinkin)..... and let it play some...... before you know it you'll have a gun you can identify from 20 yards with one eye covered and a stigmatism in the other!!

Now don't hate cause my ruger seems a bit worse for wear... She's ridden with me since I got up here.. rain, shine, heat, snow.... up to my butinski in cold river water, tugging a boat off a submerged gravel bar.... tumbling gracefully down a hillside.. (totally on purpose)...... and lots of other activities I can not recall...
But so far she has always remained in that baggy old.. umm... custom gun rig...

ciao y'all...... :wink:

By the way.... the ammo is "Alaska Ammo 320 hardcast.... My lil buckeroo's.......

Absolutely perfect!

junebug 1

Bearcat
Every good gun deserves a good knife and holster.Honest wear on old and trusted friends never looks bad. My wife had some engraving put on my 4 5/8th .45 Blackhawk. My intention,if I live long enough is to wear it off. I carry mine in a crossdraw I made. An every day, every thing knife needs a little spine to it as you never know what it will be called on to do. Like most of us I think its a pretty fair bet you have more than one knife on you at all times , I sure do.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
junebug 1 said:
Like most of us I think its a pretty fair bet you have more than one knife on you at all times , I sure do.

Actually... I do carry more than one.. most of the time.. But my choices might seem a bit weird at first...
Since I'm rarely, in a situation where I need to suddenly skin an animal... (that actually happened once.....)
I carry a small 2 blade folder, by coleman... It fits in the pocket without being obnoxious... I also carry a utility knife.. Yup... a box cutter.... and a good pair of shears... These stay in a day pack or on the atv/snowmobile in a tool kit...

The box cutter and the shears get the most use... There are a lot of times I need to cut rope, line and ratchet straps.
Once.. when I was heading back up the talkeetna spur with a heavy load.. I was heading back to town to run the river... I hit a chunk of frozen snow as I diverted from a road approach back onto the trail. I tipped my machine over...
My primary snowmobile is a big Polaris LX widetrack... It weighs over 600 lbs... She was tipped over "down hill".. And I could not get her back on upright...
I had two 5gal gas cans in my rear rack. They were leaking, but also adding nearly 100 lbs to the weight of the sled. Naturally the ratchet strap would not release.. So I cut it with the utility knife instead..
A typical example of my need for a knife....
You may have been expecting something more interesting.. but nope..... it's all I got!!
:lol:

Joe S.

Hunter
That is my favorite model of the 44's. And i LOVE the wear!!!

Had one a while back and foolishly sold it. None have been the same since. I recently picked up an old model and maybe one day I'll have the cylinder fluted and a 5.5 or 6.5" barrel added. It is just so dang pretty as is i hate to msss with it. Not to mention its previous owner (a good friend) may disown me. Ha!

junebug 1

Bearcat
Reuben
A good knife is or can be as important to daily life as a good gun.I am never without two on me at all times.The four wheeler has its machette and all my packs have at least two more.They are carried the same place always so when I need one I don' t have to dig and search for it. I don't consider myself properly dressed without a gun and knife.

junebug 1 said:
Reuben
A good knife is or can be as important to daily life as a good gun.I am never without two on me at all times.The four wheeler has its machette and all my packs have at least two more.They are carried the same place always so when I need one I don' t have to dig and search for it. I don't consider myself properly dressed without a gun and knife.
I don't have a 4 wheeler, but both my truck and car carry packs with survival type of items. Boy Scouts Rock!
gramps

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
grampsI don't have a 4 wheeler said:
The trick is to carry just what you think you will need... Otherwise there can be no room left on the wheeler for anything else...
And it really sucks when you put your pack on and you bust out into tears.....

I am a minimalist for the most part...

water, rain gear, warmer clothing (socks, gloves)...

If I run into to much trouble on the trail... I go home and return the next day when there will be more light.. I have learned not to fight Alaska.... (it took some time... I can be a slow learner)...

reuben_j_cogburn said:
grampsI don't have a 4 wheeler said:
The trick is to carry just what you think you will need... Otherwise there can be no room left on the wheeler for anything else...
And it really sucks when you put your pack on and you bust out into tears.....

I am a minimalist for the most part...

water, rain gear, warmer clothing (socks, gloves)...

If I run into to much trouble on the trail... I go home and return the next day when there will be more light.. I have learned not to fight Alaska.... (it took some time... I can be a slow learner)...

When I was working in Alaska, I learned quickly to carry a pack with extra clothes/rain gear. The pack was real handy to carry food home from the AC store too. 8)
gramps

I carry enough to spend the night, miserable if it might be, I carry enough in a waist pack for emergencies. It get's awful thick in some places. One time I was out Caribou hunting with my son and he needed to go take a leak, and I put my compass around his neck and showed him what direction he was going in and told him what direction he needed to come, coming out. You never know, so you have to pay attention. You have to be careful even with the 4 wheeler, if the 4 wheeler rolls down a hill, which I have seen, your stay the night out stuff may go with it. I keep the stuff right on my body.