MidwayUSA and GP 100 Compact grip backorder saga.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

infantryman

Single-Sixer
I just got a response directly from Larry Potterfield (CEO of MidwayUSA) who told me they were getting the rubber portion of the GP100 Compact grips directly from Ruger around 10/28. I then wrote Ruger telling them that and inquired if they are honoring that shipment. So we'll see what they say and if indeed those of us awaiting the elusive grip at a sane price will be happy. :roll: :!:

infantryman

Single-Sixer
LOL.... Ruger responded and said, " Unfortunately we do not have this information readily available." Whatever that is supposed to mean. So much for keeping up with inventory.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Of course they don't have that information readily at hand.

If there was inventory on hand they'd be shipping them out.

Do you REALLY expect Ruger to go digging for an external companies purchase order (Midway's), then dig into their expected receipts, then check inventory levels and other purchase orders that may be in front of Midway's, and then give out that information to a totally uninvolved individual, when it's none of your business no matter how you look at it ? You can't be serious .....

REV

infantryman

Single-Sixer
^^^^Well EXCUSE me grumpy pants. LOL :roll: Like I'm inquiring about secret clearance level topics here..... somebody tries to help his fellow shooters find an in demand item and they get an attempted admonishment. :p

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not secret ... Agreed ... Mostly ....

Call up Remington and ask when their next shipment of .22 shorts is being shipped to Joe's gun shop in Tulsa, and see if the results are any different ... Or any company for that matter.

It's an unreasonable request that virtually no company would honor, and then you implied that Ruger didnt even know their inventory, which I'm pretty sure they have a handle on. Not only that, Ruger is almost certainly waiting on the same items from THEIR supplier.

Either way .... Midway seems to promise things, and then extend the date at the last minute quite often. Good luck finding those grips. They're the best grips they ever put on the GP's.

REV

exlogger

Single-Sixer
Infantryman-- I bet you feel like a wiser man after that "sharp rebuke" from "cranky pants". :wink:

As for the compacts.... I would keep waiting for Midway. They are ridiculously high on ebay.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It's presumed that most consumer folks don't take the time to understand - or have never been exposed to - a manufacturing supply chain process. Since the 30SIMBA lexicon (business shorthand for "30-something marketing MBA" syndrome) most manufacturers buy as much as possible of a finished product's parts list from sub-tier suppliers. Hence someone somewhere has to make and maintain the molds, the formulation, the quality standards and controlled manufacturing processes (for the grip bodies) just to be able to inventory and deliver the rubber stuff to another assembler entity, who buys or makes the screws, the bushings, the inserts, and assembly & QA practices just to sell them to a distributor (MIDWAYUSA) or to Ruger.

Most folks born since 1960 are just used to making a call and getting a product, and have little patience for any delay, seeing any explanation as "an excuse" for them not being instantly satisfied. It shows even on this forum.
And I confess to the same from time to time, as I remain convinced I'm the customer in the deal.

revhigh

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
It's presumed that most consumer folks don't take the time to understand - or have never been exposed to - a manufacturing supply chain process. Since the 30SIMBA lexicon (business shorthand for "30-something marketing MBA" syndrome) most manufacturers buy as much as possible of a finished product's parts list from sub-tier suppliers. Hence someone somewhere has to make and maintain the molds, the formulation, the quality standards and controlled manufacturing processes (for the grip bodies) just to be able to inventory and deliver the rubber stuff to another assembler entity, who buys or makes the screws, the bushings, the inserts, and assembly & QA practices just to sell them to a distributor (MIDWAYUSA) or to Ruger.

Most folks born since 1960 are just used to making a call and getting a product, and have little patience for any delay, seeing any explanation as "an excuse" for them not being instantly satisfied. It shows even on this forum.
And I confess to the same from time to time, as I remain convinced I'm the customer in the deal.

Exactly.

As I tried to explain ... Perhaps not fuzzily and softly enough in today's easily offended atmosphere :roll: ... People have to understand external purchase orders, production orders from suppliers, customer orders, inventory levels and MRP, etc, etc. Ruger may have 1000 of those grips sitting in a bin somewhere, but those 1000 grips may be allocated to their own production orders, and to other previously placed customer purchase orders with a near delivery date. THEREFORE .... Even though inventory may show 1000 on hand .... THEY ARE ALREADY ALLOCATED to another production order or customer.

Most front office folks have absolutely NO ACCESS to this data ... Only purchasing, MRP, and plant personnel will have that.

So ... To complain about Ruger not knowing what their inventory is due to some front office personnel not knowing details ... Just shows lack of an understanding of modern business systems and how plants actually work.

Now ... Having said that .... Ruger SHOULD know how many FINISHED PRODUCTS they have available. For example ... How many GP100's are there available for sale. The normal employee would NOT know how many grips they have because grips are a COMPONENT of a finished product.

Having said THAT ... The Ruger store should have an inventory as well, where the grips ARE a finished sellable product, but they're almost definitely not the ones supplying Midway.

Either way .... Virtually no company would be able to provide the data that the OP requested ... At least not reliably ... Unless you just got lucky and talked to someone in the supply chain, and even then ... It would be unusual for them to give out that info.

With regard to that info being 'top secret' ... It could be. If S&W wanted to know how the SP101's were selling, Ruger saying that they had 10,000 grips on hand could tip them off.

You have to think a little beyond the OP's question to see the implications of what was involved, before you say things like 'Ruger doesn't even know their inventory', or 'they can't even keep up with inventory'.

REV

OwlCreek

Bearcat
I think these are $20 for just the rubber grip.
http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_gp100.php

DPris

Buckeye
Not the same grip.
Altamont sells the bigger full-sized rubber.
We're talking about the smaller compact grips.

And I'm emailing back & forth with my contact at Ruger now.
He's saying again that Ruger is NOT making those.

Trying to track down who is & what the story is.
Denis

eveled

Hawkeye
If altamont was smart they would be making the compact ones too. I've already sent them emails, and links to threads about the compact grips. If everybody else does maybe they will see the demand. Ed

Latest posts