$199.00 GP 100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dsf

Bearcat
and a $27.00 rear sight. (y)

I bought this used GP 100 last year at a LGS. It was returned for a cracked forcing cone and rather than send it in for repair the store put it up for $199.00 with an "I swear I will never shoot this gun because I will die" receipt. Sent to Ruger (free ship each way) and came back with a new barrel attached.

IMG_0754.jpg

I've used the Magnum Research rear sight on Blackhawks and they are an easier fit on the GP100. You need to roll over the bottom edge of the sight blade to avoid collision with the hammer, but it's easy to do. Bevel a notch or the entire blade bottom just a bit. The spring holes don't line up, but I keep the Ruger spring in the rear hole and it works fine.

IMG_0755.jpg

Not quite as high as it appears in the photo. Depending on load and how you see the sights a shorter front sight blade may be needed.

dsf

Bearcat
The Magnum Research rear sight is well made, nothing low end about it. It's marked LPA. For the life of me I can't figure out why they're so inexpensive. By comparison, I just bought a Wilson Combat made rear sight to replace the factory one on a Colt Python - $109.00. Not seeing any difference between the two re quality.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Right place, right time. Awesome

Reminds me what happened to my nephew about four years ago. He had recently started working at the NYPD in Queens and he was manning the front desk for someone. An elderly man walked in and he wanted to turn in a pistol. My nephew was asking him the story. The guy was a Vietnam Vet and had bought the pistol legally about that time but had no use for it and wanted to just surrender it to dispose of it. My nephew told him instead of giving it up he'd purchase it from him. They met up soon after that day and the deal was done. I don't recall how much he paid but I think he still talks to the gentleman because they liked each other. The pistol, Colt 1911 Gold Cup! The seasoned cops in the precinct were pissed that this rookie hit the lottery.

dsf

Bearcat
A little surprised Ruger didn't ask that question but guess they can't prove it was a reload. Smart buyer and great deal.
I was the 2nd buyer of the gun. Ruger knew where the gun had been bought because when I called they asked "did you buy the gun at Guns, Fishing & Stuff in Vacaville?". Which I did because that's where the 1st buyer bought and later returned it. I was waiting for a follow up question re damaging or if I was the original owner, but they never asked. Perhaps because the CSR was remiss or it made no difference.

I got the impression their records took them only so far. Had they asked I was OK paying for the work. I bought the gun figuring it would run $200.00 or so to repair and that's still a good deal.

Last edited:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Ruger CS has rebarelled one GP100 for me for free and fixed a trigger problem with a SP101 I bought second hand also no charge. Ruger is very good that way.

harley08

Blackhawk
Ruger stands behind the guns they make. They fixed a Ruger rifle that I own no charge.
That is why I buy Rugers.
Now Smith and Wesson is the worst company!
I had a S&W .357 revolver blow up in my hand while shooting 38 specials in it.
I sent it to Smith and Wesson and they told me to send them $600.00 and we will sell you a new one.
NO way! I have not or will not but another S&W!! POS!

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Ruger stands behind the guns they make. They fixed a Ruger rifle that I own no charge.
That is why I buy Rugers.
Now Smith and Wesson is the worst company!
I had a S&W .357 revolver blow up in my hand while shooting 38 specials in it.
I sent it to Smith and Wesson and they told me to send them $600.00 and we will sell you a new one.
NO way! I have not or will not but another S&W!! POS!
Are you the original owner of the S&W? They have a solid lifetime warranty for original buyers of their firearm inventory.

harley08

Blackhawk
Are you the original owner of the S&W? They have a solid lifetime warranty for original buyers of their firearm inventory.
Yes I am the original owner.
Really? I wonder why they would not replace my revolver.
My Advice - Do not buy anything from S&W
Buy a Ruger!

Latest posts