looking for info on Vaquero 40 SW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZwoodman

Bearcat
Evenin all,
I know they have made them and since i have LOTS of 40 SW ammo I was thinking of getting one of these. Any one have any info on them?
Were they a limited run?
Do you need moom rings? NE info would be appreiacted.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Yes, I have one of them. They do NOT need moon clips, they machined the cylenders specifically to work with the .40 S&W ammo. They were a special run for the San Diego Sheriffs Association and most have that laser etched into the right side of the barrel but a few were kept back and ended up with the right side of the barrel clean though all still had the warnings on the left side of the barrel, then even a few more were made in 2010 that had the warning moved to the underside of the barrel which is the model I have. There is a mention of them on the Ruger Vaquero page on Wikipedia as well, this is a cut and past of what it says...

"
An additional special Commemorative Edition chambered in .40 S&W was ordered by the San Diego Sheriff's Association in 2000 to celebrate the agencies 150th anniversary. The association wanted the Vaquero's to use the same caliber as their normal service weapons. The original order was placed for 500 but later was increased to 800 due to overwhelming response from the association members and alumni. To ensure plenty were available for members Ruger actually went on to produce an over-run of about 200 for a total of 1000 models. Some of these over-run models were taken by the SDSA members. All of the models sold to the SDSA members were embossed with the SDSA logo on the right side of the barrel and came in a special display case along with an acrylic encased badge. Approximately 125 of the extras were eventually released through select Ruger distributors in standard black plastic cases and with no SDSA logo. Most had the safety warnings on the left side of the barrel like normal Vaqueros and the original SDSA guns. However, Ruger ran out of the .40 S&W barrels before the frames and cylinders and later produced extra barrels to finish the remaining few guns. These are referred to as "cleanup" models, something all manufacturers do as the production run of a model is winding down. On these approximately 25 cleanup models the warnings normally stamped into the left side of the barrel were moved to the underside of the newer barrels leaving the side clean and completely smooth. While all of these models are desirable for their unique caliber, the few that escaped without any markings on the left side of the barrel are now highly-sought after collectables, not only for the unique caliber but for the smooth barrel that many collectors feel adds to the beauty of the guns.
"

I have been thinking of selling mine but hadn't really made up my mind yet, it has beautiful rosewood grips. I've seen several of these and I lucked out and got some of the richest color on my grips. A friend and I went in on a pair of them with consecutive serial numbers because the seller wouldn't sell them seperatally, even though they arn't part of a "set", they just happend to have consecutive serial numbers.

AZwoodman

Bearcat
What about the 38-40- /40 S&Ws? are they good? the straight 40 S&Ws are hard to find.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
That's a completly different animal than the special editions that take the moden Semi-Auto .40 S&W rounds.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Actually, it's the same Ruger Vaquero, only with an additional cylinder for 38-40.
38-40 and 40 S&W have the same bullet diameter. I like to think of 40 S&W as the rimless rendition of the old rimmed 38-40 cartridge, which first appeared in the late 1870s or early 1880s. 38-40 was known as a hard hitting, flat shooting, fairly light recoiling black powder cartridge, favored by Old West law enforcement. I chuckle when folks refer to 40 S&W as something entirely new; 'not hardly', to quote a favorite actor of mine!

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
What I meant was you can't expect to interchange the cartridges in the cylender, the special editions were specially machined to accept the .40 S&W Semi-Auto round without the need of a moon-clip.

AZwoodman

Bearcat
yes I was wanting one that was machined for the 40 S&W. Think I found one SS with a 4 3/8 in barrel.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
If you like the 40S&W cartridge (and what's not to like?) and Ruger Vaqueros (ditto), then I would highly recommend the one you are eyeing. I have 2 of the 5.5" 38-40/40S&W ones. They were used often for CAS, but seldom shot with the 38-40 cylinders because it is a PITA to load compared to the 40S&W which can be easily loaded using carbide dies. If I need 38-40 for some reason or just want to shoot it, it is always there.

With both lead (necessary for CAS) and jacketed bullets they are the most accurate 40s I've ever shot. I have several S&Ws and HKs in that chambering. They will easily turn in 1-1.5" groups at 25 yds with any decent load, and the weight of the full sized Vaquero makes them very mild shooting. The 40 is already pretty much maxed out, handloading can't improve it much so there is not a lot to be gained there from a revolver. That's one advantage of a 38-40 cylinder, because you can get some decent improvement there.

If I found one, I'd get it with no hesitation if the price was reasonable. It would make a great general field, range and plinking revolver, especially if you already shoot an auto in that chambering. It's accuracy, at least based on the two I have, is outstanding.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
VAdoublegunner said:

If I found one, I'd get it with no hesitation if the price was reasonable. It would make a great general field, range and plinking revolver, especially if you already shoot an auto in that chambering. It's accuracy, at least based on the two I have, is outstanding.

I agree 100%. I also have one but I reload and shoot the 38-40 more than the 40 S&W. VAdoublegunner is also correct that the 38-40 is harder to reload. Dies and brass are easy to find. I did find an old Lee handloader but I have never used it.

The heavy Vaquero frame is great for handling the 40 S&W recoil. And you don't have to chase your brass as the range. The Vaquero saves the brass right in your hand.

Dave

AZwoodman

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I have the 'collector' Vaqueros 40 S&W coming this week. The seller has documation that it is one out of a 100 run so that is cool.

But realy want one to shot, so I have my eye on 2 38-40 / 40 S&W. One at $700 and the other one at $800. The last comes with a hardwood lock box and papers. Seems high but how often do they come on the market?

My understanding is the the 38-40 / 40 S&W, you don't use moon rings. Is that true?

Any way can't wait until they come in so i cn show them off at my gun culb's Christmas party. I am afarid that I too suffer from RDS!

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Congrats, though I think you mean a run of 1000, not 100. I have a couple of them myself with sequential serial numbers.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
AZwoodman said:
My understanding is the the 38-40 / 40 S&W, you don't use moon rings. Is that true?

True. No moon rings are needed.

It's pretty cool too. The heavy Vaquero really stands up to the 40 S&W.

Let us know what you find after you shoot it for a while. It sure is nice not to chase your brass all over the range.

Dave

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
That is correct, you would not use moonclips with a SA revolver unless it was a really unusual and inefficient design. The concept would make it extremely difficult to load and extract the fired cases since you would have to pull the base pin and take out the cylinder every time. Furthermore if the fired cases were sticky you'd have to have something to poke them out of the cylinder with while all were attached to the moon clip. Not a good design idea.

Moonclips work with DA revolvers because the rear of the cylinder is open. It aids extraction. You do not need moons for loading since the cartridge should headspace on the case mouth. And you do not need them for extraction since the ejector rod pokes them out individually just like rimmed brass.

AZwoodman

Bearcat
:lol:
Ok I got the Vaquero Friday and it is a beauty...Paper from seller says it is one of a 100 but like you all have said i think it is 1 0f 1000.
But with the early SN I think it was part of the frist run. May be it was one of them that the engraving was bad so they replaced the barrell.

"57-49XXX and 57-85XXX 1015 guns 800 to the sherfi department -75 mis engraved guns"

2 questions:
1. How do you read the serial number? Is it 57-49001 to 57-49999? Or?
2. Is it too valuable to shot? I'm 61 so long trem is not so long with me... :oops:

Looking for a 38-40 / 40S&W or another 40 S&W Vaquero...if this one shouldn't be used...

Thanks you guys are a LOT of help and I apperciate it.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Is the safety warning on the underside of the barrel or on the left side of the barrel?

You might also want to read this page for more info;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Vaquero

AZwoodman said:
:lol:
Ok I got the Vaquero Friday and it is a beauty...Paper from seller says it is one of a 100 but like you all have said i think it is 1 0f 1000.
But with the early SN I think it was part of the frist run. May be it was one of them that the engraving was bad so they replaced the barrell.

"57-49XXX and 57-85XXX 1015 guns 800 to the sherfi department -75 mis engraved guns"

2 questions:
1. How do you read the serial number? Is it 57-49001 to 57-49999? Or?
2. Is it too valuable to shot? I'm 61 so long trem is not so long with me... :oops:

Looking for a 38-40 / 40S&W or another 40 S&W Vaquero...if this one shouldn't be used...

Thanks you guys are a LOT of help and I apperciate it.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Yea, that's an initial over-run model. Ruger has a minimum order size of 500 but didn't have but about 800 orders initially with a few more later on so they had about 100+ extrras that didn't get the SDSA logo and had the warnings on the left side. Later on they made 25 or so that had the warnings hidden under the bottom, I have two of those with consecutive serial numbers.

Latest posts