SW Ultimate J Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackBull

Blackhawk
I am hearing that SW and in particular the Ultimate J Frame is having some QC issues. Since my wife is considering buying one for SD, I have some concerns. Anyone else here the same or is this internet BS.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't follow S&W stuff much,, as most of my S&W's are older. So,,, I can't say anything about any QC issues with one of their models. But,, since I'm a bit more of a Ruger fan,, I'd offer a polite thought; Why not give the Ruger LCR a chance?

I offer that thought,, all while knowing as an instructor,, I tell people to find a gun that fits THEM,, not me. If your wife really likes the J-frames,, then let her make the decision.

I have picked up these 5 j frames in the last couple years and they have all been most excellent. Of course the lcr's have been as well.
20230630_015409.jpg

JackBull

Blackhawk
All my revolvers are Rugers. The LCR is a little too large for my wife's pockets so she is thinking J frame. The new SW is in 32 H&R which is also nice.

contender

Ruger Guru
Understood.

As an instructor for many ladies only handgun clinics,, we always preach; "Don't let anyone else pick out a gun for you. YOU find the one that YOU like, and the one YOU will carry, and the one that fits YOU & YOUR hands. Just make sure it's a quality firearm you can bet your life on!"

gunzo

Hunter
Had to look it up, ah, Ultimate carry they call it. A really neat piece IMO. Wouldn't mind having one myself. The 32 might be perfect for a woman as a 16 oz. revolver can sting a bit in 38. But if she can handle that, it's all good.

Yes, contender is 100% spot on that the owner/shooter has to decide. If she likes it I'd have her try one & see. As far as QC issues? I won't say they are without them, nor will I say they are rash with them either. Let one person have trouble & they're crying/reporting anywhere they can. If one passes a good once over upon receiving it, or buying it if you have that option, then first time at the range should pretty much indicate if it's good to go. Heck, the shooter might even decide it's not for her.

Curious as to where you heard of the issues too. Helps to know who is saying something.

june dad

Bearcat
I just helped a lady pick her weapon and she went with the LCR 38. we tried several different brands. She picked the LCR .Thanks

hporter

Bearcat
I am looking for one of those myself. How much are they going for (if you don't mind my asking) in a brick and mortar LGS versus online? They are going for fantastical prices on GB right now.

JackBull

Blackhawk
Understood.

As an instructor for many ladies only handgun clinics,, we always preach; "Don't let anyone else pick out a gun for you. YOU find the one that YOU like, and the one YOU will carry, and the one that fits YOU & YOUR hands. Just make sure it's a quality firearm you can bet your life on!"

"Since my wife is considering buying one for SD..."

Latest posts