Load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cyberscout19

Single-Sixer
I have some 190 cast hp for my 44 special . How does a person go about with starting data ? I have reloading manuals . Do you start with a bullet with close to weight and go from there ?

mikld

Blackhawk
My Lyman 49th shows data for a 205 gr cast bullet and if I were to try loading a 190, I would use the starting load data for that bullet. It is OK to use data for a slightly heavier bullet if the exact data for the chosen bullet is not available. Are they home cast, and is the 190 gr. the "designed" weight or actual weight?

I suggest to newer reloaders to find a load (bullet, primer, powder) in their reloading manual before purchasing components...

cyberscout19

Single-Sixer
Ok . Thanks . They are commercial cast bullets . Hollow points. I bought because wanted something for little critters . Squirrels, woodchucks , skunks, and such .

recumbent

Buckeye
Here is data for 190 gr,WC bullets. These are near maximum loads, you should use 10% less to start.
http://www.reloadammo.com/44sloads.htm

They are listed as cowboy loads so probably pretty mild loads.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
recumbent said:
Here is data for 190 gr,WC bullets. These are near maximum loads, you should use 10% less to start.
http://www.reloadammo.com/44sloads.htm

They are listed as cowboy loads so probably pretty mild loads.

Usually wad cutter loads are significantly less powder than a similar weight SWC, round nose etc. I believe that is because they are seated so deep, reducing the available case capacity. I have called and talked to a technician at Hodgdon regarding a bullet not listed in their data. As long as you are using Hodgdon powder, they will likely give you appropriate data.

mikld

Blackhawk
cyberscout19 said:
Ok . Thanks . They are commercial cast bullets . Hollow points. I bought because wanted something for little critters . Squirrels, woodchucks , skunks, and such .
Hint; find load data in your reloading manual(s) before you buy components. Many fewer headaches and time waiting (BTDT though myself :oops: )...

Latest posts