LCR (.357 Magnum) Grips Screwdriver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

socrates007

Bearcat
Update:

I managed to find a proper length flathead screwdriver to fit my grip screw. I removed the screw and can confirm that my new LCR (.357 Magnum) does NOT have an internal lock on it underneath the grips. That is why mine did not come with a key - just like WAYNO's new LCRx which also has no internal lock and also did not come with a key. Thanks to everyone who told me to use either a flathead or a star screwdriver.

Here are two pics below with my grips removed:

Rightside_zpsb78cae22.jpg

LeftSide_zpsf8c9c1cf.jpg

socrates007

Bearcat
I just got off the phone with Ruger this morning. They confirmed to me that they have been phasing out the internal locks (located underneath the grips) on the newer LCRs. I asked Ruger why they decided to do that. They told me that Ruger is listening to their customers and that many people asked for the internal locks to be removed.

Isn't that great customer service from a company. They are actually responding and changing based on customer feedback and opinion. I thanked Ruger very much for their great customer service and for responding to their customers wishes. Kudos to Ruger - unlike some other revolver makers out there that seem to NOT care what their customers want!!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
It looks like they pulled that screw out of the coffee full of loose fasteners can at the factory. Slotted should do it.

socrates007

Bearcat
planetcat said:
It looks like they pulled that screw out of the coffee full of loose fasteners can at the factory. Slotted should do it.

Thanks planet cat.

I ended up using a flathead/slotted screwdriver and that did the trick. But, I contacted Ruger and told them about the type of screw that was on my new LCR (.357 Magnum). I asked them if they would mail me out a normal flathead/slotted screw and they told me sure they would - and for free as well. So I can really say that Ruger's customer service is top notch!

socrates007 said:
planetcat said:

Thanks planet cat.

I ended up using a flathead/slotted screwdriver and that did the trick. But, I contacted Ruger and told them about the type of screw that was on my new LCR (.357 Magnum). I asked them if they would mail me out a normal flathead/slotted screw and they told me sure they would - and for free as well. So I can really say that Ruger's customer service is top notch!

I don't know why you're so sore with this screw. A torx screwhead is by far superior to other screw heads, plus you have the added benefit of being able to use a flathead screwdriver if ya don't happen to have a torx driver.

Sounds like you're creating enough concerns and criticisms over this little bitty screw that you will never like this gun.

WAYNO.

socrates007

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
I don't know why you're so sore with this screw. A torx screwhead is by far superior to other screw heads, plus you have the added benefit of being able to use a flathead screwdriver if ya don't happen to have a torx driver.

Sounds like you're creating enough concerns and criticisms over this little bitty screw that you will never like this gun.

WAYNO.

You are misunderstanding me WAYNO. I am not upset over this screw. I just didn't know what type it was, and wanted to be sure what type of screwdriver to use so that I didn't bugger it up. Yes, the torx is a better design compared to a normal slotted/flathead screw. Again, I just was shocked when I saw it because I didn't know what type it was. All of the pictures I have seen before showed only flathead/slotted screws in the grips of LCRs. That's all...

I can not wait to shoot this gun. I have wanted an LCR for a long time and finally saved up to get one. This little screw issue means nothing and will not have any impact on how well I like the gun. Actually, I am glad that Ruger has improved their LCRs now in two ways: 1) By removing the internal locks, and 2) By giving a two-way combination grip screw (flathead and torx).

Again, I just never saw such a screw type like this one before and didn't want to mess it up when removing my grips :D

Ruger is much better than some of the other revolver makers out there because they are truly listening to their customers and changing their products accordingly!

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
If that screw head is #10 torx you might want to buy one anyway. They use that size for the crane pivot and the action screw and recommend checking the torque occasionally anyway.

socrates007

Bearcat
RedLabel said:
If that screw head is #10 torx you might want to buy one anyway. They use that size for the crane pivot and the action screw and recommend checking the torque occasionally anyway.

Thanks RedLabel.

Can you tell me where are the crane pivot and the action screws located exactly on an LCR? I just picked up a #10 torx screwdriver today.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Actually they call it the fire control housing retaining screw. Check page 23 of your owners manual. If you don't have one you can download one at ruger.com. Here is a link. http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-LCR.html. Also check out the video section. They have excellent videos on disassembly of all their guns including the LCR.

socrates007

Bearcat
RedLabel said:
Actually they call it the fire control housing retaining screw. Check page 23 of your owners manual. If you don't have one you can download one at ruger.com. Here is a link. http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-LCR.html. Also check out the video section. They have excellent videos on disassembly of all their guns including the LCR.

That's great. Thank you very much for the link :)