LC9 disconnect mag disconnect???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Also, i'd MUCH rather deal with "having a modification to my gun and getting that one shot off to drop the BG and having to deal with courts" instead of being the one getting dropped and dying. Just my thought process, my first worry is my life, then things go down from there. If a magazine safety disconnect could possibly cause me to lose my life because i accidently hit the mag release while drawing, etc. i'm going to be the one getting shot. So again, i'll take the court system on a "weapons modifying charge" ANYDAY over being killed and my gun not being modified ;)

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Ok up at the beginning of the post I asked for alternatives to the LC9. I realize as I stated that I'm probably not going to get what I want but I'll try.

Serfin the net came up with a couple. The CZ2075 and the DB9. Again nothin perfect but..........

Anyone have exp with either of these pistols? Man that DB9 is a great size but the cz has most of what I want. Anyway any exp with them???

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
thumbs said:
...The CZ2075 and the DB9. Again nothin perfect but..........

Anyone have exp with either of these pistols? Man that DB9 is a great size but the cz has most of what I want. Anyway any exp with them???

I have a 2075 "RAMI", I really love CZ's but it is a double stack magazine gun. An SR9C has a slimmer grip and is about the same size. If I had to carry either I would choose an SR9C.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
sixgun said:
Ruger is shooting themselves in the foot with this mag safety thing. They are losing sales as the buyer will look at other makes and models. As stated earlier, why not produce a model for California and the like. In this case now that the pistol is already out, produce a model for everyone else without the mag disconnect.

The odds of California approving a gun model that is made for "California only" is next to nil, there's a ton of reasons for that but one is California likes to think of themselves as the setter of standards.

Ruger (and other gun makers) is not going to make two different models because they would have to supply trigger and safety parts for both. You could take a California approved model and convert it to the other 48 or 49 states version and the parts would be supplied and made by Ruger, they would assume liability for that. 10 round magazines are one thing, trigger groups, safeties and disconnects are another, no gun maker will go through all that.

rogerthedodger

Bearcat
Try this website,
http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16102.0
and also look on youtube, there is a good video on how to remove the LC9 mag disconnect.
Roger

A

Anonymous

That's definitely a lot more work than it is on the SR's, but doesn't look that bad, and is worth the effort in my opinion.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Definitely worth the effort. It's not too bad, my worst part was getting the damn two pins to line back up perfect at the end, and a little slowed down by the hammer assembly, but i got it all eventually. That video REALLY helps because you get to SEE what to do, i went off of the Ruger PDF file basically and saw parts 11/12 needed to come out ;)

rogerthedodger

Bearcat
Your welcome, glad to be of help. I have removed the mag disconnect on my SR9/40/C's, but havent had the "guts" to try on my new LC9. Maybe after its "breakin"! And, for those off topic folks, KAHR does make 2 versions of the P380, one for Kali and one for all other folks. :lol:

Roger :D

2ndamd

Bearcat
GEEZ!
The guy comes here to ask a question and people jump on him.
Not the Rugerforum I know and love represented very well here.

To the OP:
Here is the link I used. Please don't mind the manners of some of the other members here on this thread. We are usually a good bunch that like to help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qin3g_T9HvY

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the help guys. I bought a Kahr cm9 yesterday. I am not some kind of purest that demands no safety devices on a pistol but I just came to the conclusion that, unfortunately, Ruger just went to far on the LC9 for me. I could live with the other stuff. In fact I really don't mind them. Ok I think the safety and the LONG trigger pull is a bit much but I could live with it. I believe if you don't like the safety don't use it. But I also believe modifying a carry pistol is asking for trouble if it is ever used in self defense. Right or wrong that's how I feel.

In my thinking the mag disconnect is a dangerous addition to a personal defense pistol. I honestly believe there will be a LC9 owner that will loose their life because of it.

If they would have made a 9mm LCP I would have bought it even with the trigger. I own one have have carried it for quite some time. I know to each his own but that is my thought.

I also think removing the mag disconnect may very well, for no good reason, create a world of trouble if used in a self defensive altercation. It really doesn't make any difference if it has nothing to do with the safe operation of the pistol or not. A lawyer can convince a willing jury of anything. They convect innocent people everyday.

It is a shame. I was really in the market for the LC9 ever since it came out. I couldn't afford it ,at the time so I really didn't look into it. When I got ready to buy I thought about it further.

I can honestly say Ruger moved me to another brand because of the mag disconnect.

Not bashing Ruger at all. I own 5 Rugers and enjoy them all. I shoot my MarkIII very week at a bulls eye shoot. Ruger makes good stuff a good price. I just think they went to far on the LC9.

I hope this is not a trend that Ruger or any other manufacturer plans to follow.

Ruger said they listened to the people and they wanted a 9mm LCP. Unfortunately they didn't make a 9mm LCP

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Agreed, the mag disconnect KILLED it for me to which is why the very first day i picked it up i took it home, cleaned it and went to the range and put 100 rounds through it to make sure everything functioned correctly and there wasnt any defect, and that very night i went home and pulled out part #s 11/12. My other guns dont have magazine safety disconnects, it doesnt alter the way the gun shoots whatsoever, so i see where youre coming from on the lawyer situation, but IMO that wouldnt be an issue in that situation, if anything you're worrying about the family of the attacker trying to sue you, etc. If they found that the mag safety disconnect was removed, i just don't think that would sway a jury from it being "self defense" to "he altered his gun so it's not a legal shooting."
If anything, IMO you'd get charged for altering your firearm and py a fine/do a little bit of time in jail, either way its worth it to me rather than having to worry about accidently hitting the mag disconnect when i draw in a situation where my life depends on weather i can shoot the BG or not, and i can't because on this gun that i own it has a safety that doesnt allow me to, but all my other pistols don't have that safety. In that situation, i'll remove the safety and if that situation, god forbid, ever does happen, hopefully im carrying my .40 and it's not summertime ;), but if not i'll take the wrap on modifying that stupid mag safety disconnect. Hell people remove them ALL THE TIME on other guns since it's ay easier, just because it's a bit harder on this gun who cares?? once it's out, it's out.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
The only problem in my state that would be a problem would be children or some child minded adult playing with it. I don't have children and I secure my firearms when not in use. I usually carry concealed.

They might say that you rendered the gun unsafe by removing the safety device. I think that's a stupid argument since there is no way to safe a gun from curious kids other than locking it up. I don't think that there is a gun out there that kids can play with like a toy and not get hurt or killed.

IMO all these safety devices hinder the function of the weapon and in some cases cause them to be unusable when you really need them...

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
sixgun said:
The only problem in my state that would be a problem would be children or some child minded adult playing with it. I don't have children and I secure my firearms when not in use. I usually carry concealed.

They might say that you rendered the gun unsafe by removing the safety device. I think that's a stupid argument since there is no way to safe a gun from curious kids other than locking it up. I don't think that there is a gun out there that kids can play with like a toy and not get hurt or killed.

IMO all these safety devices hinder the function of the weapon and in some cases cause them to be unusable when you really need them...
Agreed, which is why i disabled mine. The way i look at it, i bought the firearm, my other pistols don't have this "safety" on it, and i ddint want it on this gun either as it'd be my only carry gun with a magazine safety disconnect. I bought the gun, it's mine to do what i want to it as long as i dont make it full-auto or break any rules that alters the way that the gun fires. Removing the mag safety disconnect in no way would change the outcome of a shooting if you shot a BG in self-defense, unless you accidently hit the mag release and were only able to get off that one round in the chamber, which in turn saved your life.
I'll take a modified weapons charge over losing my life anyday. Not to mention in most states, a mag safety isnt a necessity for purchase in the state, so in those states you're definitely okay IMO, but again im not a lawyer so take what i say with a grain of salt. NOw it's the states like New York and California, etc. that require these "safeties," as long as you're not carrying it with the mag safety removed in one of these states that makes it mandatory to have and you have to use it, i doubt there's any basis for them to come after you for removing a magazine safety disconnect if a guy was trying to kill you and you defended yourself and killed the BG instead.

Boge

Single-Sixer
thumbs said:
...Now if I could find a pistol with the following I would buy it.

Reliable as the LC9.
Size and weight of the LC9 or smaller.
Double and single action(not on the LC9)
Double strike capability
No mag disconnect

The problem, as far as I know, is that pistol does not exist...

Why is 2nd strike important? Are you shooting 3rd World machine gun ammo?

The gun you want costs over a grand nowadays as it was made only for one year: the Colt Pocket Nine. Damn few made. The best small 9mm now is the SIG p290. Yes, I have all three, LC9, Pocket Nine & p290. The LC9 languishes in storage & I carry the SIG p290. Cheap it ain't but I can squeeze 1.5" groups at 15 yds. with it with quality ammo on a good day.

A

Anonymous

2nd strike is worthless. If I have a round not go off, I'm just going to eject that round and move on, I don't want to waste time trying to fire what might just be a dud round.

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Bolohead said:
Many years ago, that mag safety on another firearm saved my bacon.

Glad to hear that it saved you and you werent injured, but obviously you were doing something negligent with the gun if a magazine safety disconnect saved you/someone else from getting shot. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anythng so don't take it that way, just want to repeat the THREE BASIC RULES of safe gun handling that has kept me safe for the past ~20 years.

These are three very basic rules that are very easy to remember and follow, and if you do, shootings/AD's would be very rare. The three basic rules are: #1) (and the most important) ALWAYS THREAT A GUN AS IF IT IS LOADED AT ALL TIMES, #2) Always point the gun in a safe direction, and #3) keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Follow these three very basic rules and there wouldn't be any accidental shootings, or VERY few.

If everyone did this, the only way an accidental shooting could happen is if someone dropped an older loaded gun and it discharged, or someone that was shooting in a competition course tripped and accidently hit the trigger. You don't even need to have the safety on if you followed these three simple rules, there would still be very few accidental shootings. Basically the only thing the safety is going to save you from if you're practicing all three rules is possibly stop an older gun from discharging if dropped.

Other than those situations, i don't see an accidental shooting/discharge happening except for complete negligence. In my ~20 years of shooting i've never once had a close call or an accidental discharge because i follow those THREE BASIC RULES.

Bolohead

Bearcat
Stimo3 negligent no, because of the situation that we/me back then would go into. Crowded bars, and responding to a fight can always lead to someone trying to one up the cop. One sush occurance happened, and basicly I got my butt kicked, with the suspect grabbing my duty weapon. The suspect turing the weapon on me, and the firearm not discharging when he pulled the trigger. But that delay allowed my partner to, take out the threat.

You or others may have a differant feeling about this, than I do. But I am alive today as a result of hitting my mag release prior to entering the bar we went into. But neglegence on my part, no way!