KGPFNY-831 Ruger GPNY Special 6-Shot .38 Cal 4-in Barrel Pricing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jakescooch11

Bearcat
My Dad recently "sold" me his Ruger GPNY .38 DAO and we did some thinking and figured we'd sell it as we are not collectors and wanted to get a valuation. I cannot for the life of me find any solid information online about this particular spec, not to mention the near perfect condition, original box, and papers. I know he originally purchased it in 1983 and its serial number is 1721XXXX, making this the correct name as per a user on a different forum. I joined this one to see if any of ya'll had any idea maybe a ballpark estimate? This is the only statement I could find that i mentioned above.

KGPFNY-831 and KGPFNY-841 double-action only (spurless hammer) with dull finish and all-rubber grip. Known s/n range 172-08467 to 172-44934 (KGPFNY-831) and 172-31506 to 172-98145 (KGPFNY-841). "GPNY" is rollmarked on one side of the cylinder frame. A total of at least 2,561 of both models were purchased by the New York City Police Department. Both are extremely scarce.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
I think the last ones I knew about that sold ( NIB w/shippers ) was in the $700 range but that was about 5 years ago.

jakescooch11

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum.
I think the last ones I knew about that sold ( NIB w/shippers ) was in the $700 range but that was about 5 years ago.
I appreciate the quick response, I'm about an hour invested researching, theres so many similar specs with and a big price range on various auction and other sites and the serial # doesnt show on ruger's website. It seems I may have ran into a bit of misinformation, because I wrote 4in but the serial number puts it in the 831's and I found a thread back in 2014 from this forum saying those are 3in? Bit confused but I'll have it in hand friday. Thank you for the info it helps a lot.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
If you put a couple more numbers of the serial, we could help a little more. 172- is the prefix, and the last 5 are where we can really help. You do not have to disclose all of it,, but use 123XX and we can do more.
Oh, the prefix of 172 puts the manufacture date from 1989 to 1993. So he had to have gotten it after 1983.
There will likely be a few more Double-Action collectors drop in soon to assist with more info. But I think the value will definitely be north of $700.00. As hittman has mentioned,, that pricing is 5 years old,,,,,,,,!

jakescooch11

Bearcat
Thanks for that info, again Im sorry some of the things I said in the original post didn't match up, i'm still trying to get all the information myself. Ser. 172152XX, purchased in 1997** My pops doesn't have the best memory.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Wow, that GB gun was a steal and likely due to leaving "GP100" out of the title so searching for GP100 would not have hit. The 3" guns usually command a bit of a premium over the 4". I never bothered to pick up a 4" but have three of the 3" guns. Well, technically, I have two and my wife has one that I gifted to her.

One of mine is close... 172-154xx. My wife's is lowest at 172-085xx and the other one is higher at 172-319xx.

The box is seldom seen - does it indicate GPNY? The NYPD tossed the boxes so finding one with the box likely meant it was an overrun, especially if purchased new in 1997. I might guess the yellow box has no end label and the pertinent info was on the shipping sleeve - does it have that outer brown cardboard wrap?

BTW, the topic title contradicts itself since the -831 has a 3" barrel but you say it has a 4" barrel which would be the -841. Your info came from the RENE Ref which defines the catalog number terms:
"831" = .38 Special with 3" full shroud barrel.
"841" = .38 Special with 4" full shroud barrel.

jakescooch11

Bearcat
Thank you so much for the help it means a lot. Yes the box, revolver itself, and paperwork all indicate GPNY. I'm currently unsure about the outer box, and the FFL transfer is a tad bit delayed so i'll have it in hand Monday. And yes, the title was contradictory, it is the 3in barrel. I'll have pictures and more information when it arrives.

Side note: I'm glad I came to you guys for information, fellas in the gun shop today were asking plenty of questions about it while I was filling out the background check. Some had other GP100's and had never heard of this one, others compared them to .357's and other revolvers price wise. Very happy I had some knowledge incase offers were rattled off and I jumped the gun.

Thank you all, I'll get back with a better understanding soon enough.

jakescooch11

Bearcat
For anyone who was wondering about this old thread, I did receive the revolver and am in the process of selling it. Here she is.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpeg
    IMG_0850.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 42

jakescooch11

Bearcat
I'd be interested to see the box label and paperwork if they were printed with GPNY. If it was just hand-written with a Sharpie or such, then that would be less interesting.
Paperwork provides a timeline at least, box does have the label on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 41

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
With that box and the good condition of the gun I would expect the "right" person would go higher than $700 especially a Ruger collector. Good luck!

If you open the cylinder and look at the frame, do you see a five point star stamped into the metal? If you do then that means it had been accepted by the NYCPD Armorer to issue to an officer. If there is no star then that would be an overrun gun - still sought after by some Ruger collectors, just not worth as much as an accepted/issued gun.

Latest posts