Jerred engraved flatgate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike722

Buckeye
Ruger F latgate Single Six, serial number 8383, engraved by Charles Jerred. This is not a documented factory engraved gun, but similar in the style of the factory standard pattern. My guess is that this one was done soon after the engraving project for Ruger was finished. It has a little more embellishment, the base pin latch is engraved, along with all eight screw heads.
413446090.jpg

413446092.jpg

413446091.jpg

413446093.jpg

413446094.jpg

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
Another Jerred-engraved revolver most likely completed in 1956. It is not on the list of factory engraved guns, but a very nice example of Mr. Jerred's work (not quite as detailed as the one above).

Bill

xlarge.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Saw another one at the Monroeville, PA show in the late '80's...I think it was 83333 but would need to check my notes. That one also had a factory case with it.
Chet15

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
For those who do not have a copy of Compliments of Col. Ruger by John C. Dougan, I will share some info found in these pages about the Jerred Single Six engraving project.
Jerred engraved the 1st Single Six for Ruger in August of 1954. I took nearly 2 years to work out the pattern details and price. Pages 119-121 have a letter from WBR dated 2/16/1956 requesting Jerred not to engrave Single Sixes in the pattern worked out with Ruger as "outside " work.
On pages 187-189 is the letter dated 5/19/1958 ending the RSSE program and advising Jerred he is freed from this agreement and the Factory will forward inquires to him.
This gives rise to the opportunity of locating 2 distinctly different Non-Factory Jerred engraved Single Sixes; those he might have done before February of 1956 and those he did after May of 1958.
Someone more experienced with Jerred engraved Single Sixes than I ought to start cataloging these. I suspect they are really quite rare. I have only ever had 2 of these Factory RSSE's; they are in better hands now!
Oh, and on the Dougan book, I have a few, New, for $35 mailed by Media Mail.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
SEEMS ONE OF US(IF SOMEONE DID NOT)SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT JERRED'S NOTES IN LOG FORM THAT HIS SON OFFERED ON EBAY SOME YEARS AGO..........WAS ONLY $5,000 8) ..........ONE MAY ASSUME THAT THE "AFTER WBR" JERRED RSSE(S) WOULD BE SO NOTED. WOULD ALSO PROVE PROVENANCE AND EXPOSE THE RSSE DONE BY OTHERS WHO FRAUDULENTLY SIGNED JERRED'S SIGNATURE TO THEIR WORK(S) WHICH ARE RUMORED TO EXIST. :roll:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Seems to me that the eBay buyer of the Jerred records is not in the Ruger Collecting field any longer; so what happened to the records??
I am thinking I am in error on this and remembering the Larry Koller records? So, who has Jerred's records??

Gotta note here that Jim Schafer had an amazing display of engraved Single-Sixes of both the Jerred and Spanish engraved varieties in the ROCS display at the OGCA show this weekend. Truly a marvelous collection.

Thanks for sharing with us, Jim,

:mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
El Numero Uno said:
Seems to me that the eBay buyer of the Jerred records is not in the Ruger Collecting field any longer; so what happened to the records??
I am thinking I am in error on this and remembering the Larry Koller records? So, who has Jerred's records??

AT THE TIME, I ASKED HERB JERRED WHAT I FELT WAS A COURTEOUS QUESTION ABOUT A STANDARD AUTO THAT HAS AN ENGRAVED RECEIVER AND BARREL THAT I WOULD BET CHECK THAT JERRED SR DID AS A SAMPLE FOR WBR. ( IT CAME TO ME FROM BOB ANDERSON WHO HAD NO HISTORY ON THE GUN OR THE "WORK".) I TOLD HERB I'D BUY THE LOG IF THE GUN WAS WRITTEN UP IN THE LOG...........I WAS ADVISED TO "BUY THE BOOK AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF"........I CHOSE TO HANG UP THE PHONE AND UTTER SOME FORM OF OATH............ :wink: