Is the .357 Magnum obsolete?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We who use it understand the cartridge is very capable. But it used to be a top seller. Now for many it seems like it's not the gun or cartridge they look to. I know people of our vintage grew up with it and know it's abilities, but do the people coming up behind us have the same respect for those guns?

hittman

Staff member
357 Mag will likely live forever ...... 357 Sig; not so much. :lol:

grobin

Blackhawk
IMHO the 41 is going to die killed by the 10mm. Yes it's better ballisticaly; but not that much.

The 357 is not a good choice in a light pocket revolver, just like the 10mm isn't in a pocket pistol. But in something like a Blackhawk it's great! You can use the 38 Specials for practice and training, almost no recoil. The 44 mag/special is similar.

The pistol is replacing the revolver in perception today. They are easier for CC and the pistol is superior to the revolver for combat, everything else being equal. But how many LEO or military get to use a pistol in combat?

As for the 357SIG it's a failed attempt to get 357 ballistics in a pocket pistol; largely inspired by the TSA sky marshals.

My go to gun for reliable exclusive carry in the woods is a S&W 686 4" 357 filled with 180gr hard cast lead thumpers. If I have a long gun I carry a 4" SP101 357 with 158gr Blazer HP rounds.

Obsolete? My boys both pack 357's when hunting. 357 mag will be around a loooong time.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
Just because everyone thinks they need a cheap autoloader is no reason to discount the 357. First, no autoloader is very adept at shooting every load placed into it, popgun to full house, wadcutters, jacketed, cast, heavy fast powder, slow powder. The 357 was practically made for this. Barrels over 4"? Not many autoloaders can step up to the plate there. Reloading? Score one for a 357 revolver. No chicken dance trying to find brass thrown all over the place. The 357 not only is not obsolete, it's superior to almost everything. Except 44 Specials and 45 Colts of course....

trapperon

Blackhawk
It will never be obsolete as I know my old 6 shot 357 redhawk will NEVER wear out! No such thing as feeling recoil sting in this platform. Eats anything, shoots straight and tough as nails. I think the old 6 shot 357 Redhawks are real sleepers--really appreciate mine.

Ron

RGRacing

Bearcat
I want one of everything - 357 a few more - Love the versatility of the ammo choices.
357 Sig and 22 TCM - Boom - yes in deed.
45LC - A blast to shoot and reloading must.

a 44 is next -

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Just because the cops don't use them anymore doesn't mean they are not popular. Most cops use 9mm or .40S&W not the .45ACP. The 357Magnum has got to be one of the biggest sellers, both guns and ammo, especially if you include the 38Specials.

Rclark

Hunter
Nope. To me, obsolete means there is no one making a 'case' for the cartridge. When you have to roll your own case ... it is obsolete. I think most shooters enjoy shooting and loading for many different cartridges... the .357 being one of them. Being you can load it from mild to wild with peanut sized bullets that even women can easily handle makes it a popular cartridge.

There will always be shooters like me that prefer revolver cartridges over the semi-auto style, so I don't see any of the 'standard' cartridges going away anytime soon (... .22, 357/.38, .44Mag, .45 Colt). There is aways room for the niche cartridges such as .32, .41Mag, and .44Special too. For me, the .44 Special and the .45 Colt are the cartridges I most shoot.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Many people call it the middle magnum , I like to call it the versatile magnum ! Like many have said mild to wild the 357 will do 90+% of what people will ever do with a handgun! I too have a 7 1/2" 357 Red Hawk and it will roll right along with the hottest loads a sane person will put in a 357 case. I also have a 4" S&W Mod66 , light easy to carry and will handle std 357 loads , in smaller doses . My 357's have taken deer, hogs and field mice and does it all well.

My CC gun is a 3" SP101 with full 357 loads, I use the option of first shot kill , not spray and pray.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Mine in the Rossi 92 has become my favorite rifle. In a handgun it still gets the job done, and I would not feel under gunned in a normal life with just a 357 revolver. In a rifle? Totally different animal. Obsolete? No way.

grobin

Blackhawk
Just because LEO is largely going away from revolvers and there is a CC craze doesn't mean obsolescence. BTW in some jurisdictions private security is limited to non-magnum revolvers—weird!

BTW I owned a SP101 in 357 and liked it. Decent for CC. Pleasant to shoot. The revolvers smaller than that are just unpleasant to shoot and some even in 38 special!

Bear Paw Jack said:
Wayno, you got one on order yet??? That is nice.

Actually, no. :mrgreen: I've owned numerous sheriff-length .357's. They are the most sensitive to point of impact change with different loads, of any short barrel revolver I've ever shot. So...Once you discover what load prints closest to point of aim with its fixed sight, you've gotta stick with it. If you want a lighter load, it could change the point of impact enough to make the sights not usable. So if it hits point of aim with a 158 gr .357, like mine did, and a feller is never planning to deviate, then such a gun is great. But if he plans on changing loads for different uses, it can be disappointing unless you're really proficient at point shooting. Not a criticism, but it's just the nature of such a beast.

I have the same revolver in .45 ACP, and it always hits point of aim with any 230 grain load. So there's no reason to experiment with anything else. And I love it. 8)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Best chambering for a carbine in the woods, ever.
For handgun uses - never a bad choice (unless you left your muffs at home). Still accurate beyond reason in a capable revolver.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
Not obsolete in my house.
I own and regularly shoot a half dozen .357Mag revolvers.
I sometimes carry one for self defense and regularly carry one when hiking and/or hunting.
I have never fired a .38Spl round in any of my .357s and very few factory loads.
I load several thousand rounds of .357Mag ammunition every year, both cast and jacketed.