I WAS SCAMMED PLS B CAREFUL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mat523

Single-Sixer
Also, I am not soured by the experience, just a bit wiser. Everyone I've dealt with on this forum has been excellent. I will not let one bad apple ruin the rest of the bunch. It just bothers me that I was so stupid. As they say burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. With that being said if anyone has a 5 inch GP 100 for sale.....

gunsbam69

Hunter
mat523 said:
I have contacted the local ATF branch here in chicago. Spoke with a field agent who was receptive to looking into the matter. Sent him all the info. We will see how this turns out.

I did the same thing initially. They then came back and told me they had no jurisdiction in these matters, and to contact local law enforcement from the area the scam originated from :roll:

hittman

Staff member
Enigma said:
On another forum I frequent, the administrator specifically warns people about this sort of thing. According to him, if you post WTB ads, you WILL eventually be contacted by a scammer. A request to wire money is an immediate red flag! He recommends asking the seller for a picture of the item, with YOUR email address written on a piece of paper prominently displayed. If the seller balks or makes excuses, run away! As for the poster who won't send money to PO boxes, how does he pay his bills? Most of mine go to PO boxes. That's also how I get my mail, because the USPS does NOT deliver to the house here.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=114059

Please be careful!

Ruger45

Blackhawk
mat523 said:
I contacted Loretto Tn PD. They are very finalist with this scam and are already investigating. Apparently I am not the only one.
Doesn't make ya feel any better knowing the dirtbag took more people than you does it. :evil:
I know this because I have falling for a scam in the past cops took my info and said right out that nothing was going to come of it. :roll:

Xsales

Buckeye
Ruger45 said:
mat523 said:
I contacted Loretto Tn PD. They are very finalist with this scam and are already investigating. Apparently I am not the only one.
Doesn't make ya feel any better knowing the dirtbag took more people than you does it. :evil:
I know this because I have falling for a scam in the past cops took my info and said right out that nothing was going to come of it. :roll:

Never say never .......... Odd things happen, they MIGHT get involved being a small town:
8 years, I was scammed by a hacked/fraudulant PayPal account with a Sony laptop sale off eBay - Fedex was supposed to STOP the delivery (they didn't)
I contacted the Cumberland, Maryland Police Dept. (12,000 people)

I explained in detail the issue - They sent a cop over twice, got ahold of the person, found out he was an older gent who was being used by a 3rd party scammer & had gotten HUNDREDS of electronic items over 2 weeks time - They actually opened 30+ boxes & found my laptop (it was now IN their hands)

After 3 months (fully closed the investigation) they overnighted my laptop to me
Long wait, but THAT was fine Police Service

Rare event I had, but again, never say never ..........

9x19

Hunter
I was scammed on a Wilson Combat 1911... but the seller had sent me a copy of their license and used their home address for payment.

I contacted their local PD and they contacted the seller... he claimed someone was using his name.... until the USPS provided copies of the cashed Money Orders, and the signature on his license matched the endorsement signature on the MOs.

Turns out he was a reserve deputy with the county sheriff at the time (but not anymore), and he made full restitution (including postage and MO fees) to avoid jail time.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
mat523 said:
Here is the original PM:

Hi,

I can help you out with a lead. Please contact Timothy on [email protected] regarding your request. He is located in Loretto, Tennessee,38469 and the last time i talked to him, he had for sale. I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in TOP condition. His cell # 423-453-3937.

Thanks
Ben

Got the same note from a WTB posting that I put on another forum. Definitely a scammer.
Notify local police and federal agencies.....

Coogs

Maximum
This dude must be busy, or there is a bunch of 'em. I got the same response on a WTB. Just the way it was worded sounded fishy to me, must come with old age, I never responded. Good luck to the OP, I hope ya stick it to 'em. Coogs.

Im glad I have been an old time Member and have (I hope) good reputation. Have I had a deal go South, yes I have, normally it's all about that condition is not the same option, this some time's can not be avoided....I always make it right....and then there's never an issue....

Folks on here are the best....from all my many year's of being here....Scott

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
My wife ordered some diet powder some years back, it did not arrive, so after waiting for a 2 week period, I found the sellers contact information, and called his home. Wife answered, said he not home, be home later, you call back. I told her either we receive the item ordered in 3 days or I would be calling Uncle Bill, who works for the INS and I would have him, his family, anyone else in his house deported within 48 hours.
He called me, within 5 minutes ask what the item was and promised to get it in the mail the same day.Item arrived 3 days later. Sometimes one just needs to push back. Overloadded

Where is there 'proof' that this scammer is in TN? Not sure how wiring money works but that is the only real link there is... and I think a crook can pick up that wired money just about anywhere.

If some of you folks have the time... you know there is a way to get back at this jerk wad a bit.... why don't we get together and post a couple of WTB's and get the response and waste his (or her) time... bog them down with promises of the money has been sent?

I think it would be helpful to have a section in the classifieds where buyers and sellers rated their transactions with other forum members. Voluntary, of course.

For example, if you bought from a member and were pleased with the transaction, you would give that person a positive rating. If you were lied to, swindled, or it took far too long to get your item, you would give that seller a negative rating.
This "rating" could be tied to a forum member's profile, so that anyone thinking about buying from that member could see how many positive, and how many negative transaction ratings that member has received. If limited to positive or negative choices (so that nobody gets unfairly flamed) , a person could decide whether they wanted to go ahead with the purchase. In this way, the buyer has a certain level of confidence that they won't be ripped off. As has been stated, the risk is primarily on the buyer.

Once the buyer has their item in hand, they could choose to give a positive rating, a negative rating, or no rating.

Just my opinion, YMMV. :)

blume357 said:
Where is there 'proof' that this scammer is in TN? Not sure how wiring money works but that is the only real link there is... and I think a crook can pick up that wired money just about anywhere.

If some of you folks have the time... you know there is a way to get back at this jerk wad a bit.... why don't we get together and post a couple of WTB's and get the response and waste his (or her) time... bog them down with promises of the money has been sent?
Tell them you live nearby and would rather come by and pay for it and pick it up rather than send through the mail and see what the response would be.

mr.deerstalker said:
Im glad I have been an old time Member and have (I hope) good reputation. Have I had a deal go South, yes I have, normally it's all about that condition is not the same option, this some time's can not be avoided....I always make it right....and then there's never an issue....

Folks on here are the best....from all my many year's of being here....Scott

x2 I have bought and sold some guns here never ever had a problem. Scammers are people who need chocking. ps

Lonnie

Bearcat
With the great expansion of online shopping I really don't understand why one of the big banks hasn't created some sort of secure transaction service. It wouldn't be all that hard to set up, and the banks would profit from collecting the interest on funds that they hold, or charge a small fee.

In short, if I was buying something, I would place the funds into the bank where they would be held until I receive my goods. Upon receipt confirmation the funds are then transferred to the seller. How hard could that be???

Xsales

Buckeye
Lonnie said:
With the great expansion of online shopping I really don't understand why one of the big banks hasn't created some sort of secure transaction service. It wouldn't be all that hard to set up, and the banks would profit from collecting the interest on funds that they hold, or charge a small fee.

In short, if I was buying something, I would place the funds into the bank where they would be held until I receive my goods. Upon receipt confirmation the funds are then transferred to the seller. How hard could that be???

Its called www.Escrow.com

Can put most anything in escrow and when both parties accept - everything xfers
Never needed them but I wonder if/how they want possession of the firearm

9x19

Hunter
Xsales said:
Lonnie said:

Its called http://www.Escrow.com

Can put most anything in escrow and when both parties accept - everything xfers
Never needed them but I wonder if/how they want possession of the firearm

Unless they are an FFL, they couldn't legally receive (even for overnight) any firearms from out of state.