I WAS SCAMMED PLS B CAREFUL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mat523

Single-Sixer
I posted a WTB here on the rugerforum. I received a "lead" on a pm here on where I could get a 5" GP. The guy I talked to was very good and had me trust him. Of course in my stupidity I sent him $ and he Hudinied. Please everyone be careful
I feel like an idiot, I know I am out the cash, but I hope it can be a lesson for everyone. Unfortunately we like to trust forum members, but still verify who you are dealing with.
Matt

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but you need to give us all the details! Like who the forum member of this site is that ripped you off?--bedrockfred

Jim Puke

Hunter
bedrockfred said:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but you need to give us all the details! Like who the forum member of this site is that ripped you off?--bedrockfred

Provided you have given him ample time to make this right.

mat523

Single-Sixer
I received the PM from ARPUFF. I believe the scammer set the bs Account as well. He said his name was Ben. He told me about a guy named Tim Brown that was selling a GP. I called the guy , emailed the guy and everything felt legit. I have done deals on this forum before with wonderful results. Everyone I have dealt with was class acts. I let my guard down. When he asked me to WU money, I like a complete idiot did it. I still can't believe I was so dumb. So much for a college degree.
Matt

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
This all happened in less than 24 hours? Not trying to make you feel worse than you do, just trying to figure a way to maybe help.--bedrockfred

mat523

Single-Sixer
I wired, and he received the money yesterday. Being excited about my purchase I decided to look up the 1740 on the internet. Low and behold I find the exact photos of the "gun" on the internet. The description I was emailed was also the same as an armslist ad posted in 2013 from where the photo was swiped. As it stands I have just his word that he will ship the gun. I hope I am just being paranoid, but either way, I will never wire money again.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Doesn't sound good, but it has only been a day. I've never had any trouble on here, but the thieves can be cruisin here just like anywhere else. That said, I've had MANY of my listing pics from Gunbroker used on Armslist by thieves, so watch out big time on Armslist. When you see the pic out on the web, AND on Armslist, USUALLY the pic has been taken from a legit auction site like Gunbroker or one of the others, and is being used to run the scam on Armslist. There's no accountability there just like Craigslist. I've been alerted several times to this being done to my listings. Internet scamming is now rampant to the point the FBI doesn't even deal with it anymore until the scams reach the millions. The Armslist stuff doesn't qualify. Get a phone number or email involved and try and get a locale on it, then go to local law enforcement in that area. There's a BUNCH of shady dealing going on on there. I've bought things off there, but proceed with extreme caution. Every bad one I've backed away from so far has been unable to speak English well and generally rude or pushy or both, or doesn't want to talk on the phone at all. If anything on there makes you uneasy just back away from it.

ALSO, I'd report the username of the user on here to the forum moderators and administrators on here if you haven't already. They may be able to help.

Xsales

Buckeye
Do keep us posted

A SCAMMER, if he is one, is a horrible thing

As you may know:

Personally, I DO NOT:
1) Wire or WU money EVER (largest form of scam)
Sending USPS or bank MO at least you can verify a legit address on their end
If P.O. Box then Sorry no go
2) Send ANY type payment UNLESS you can really verify the person has the firearm
in hand - I will eMail (or call if it gets to that) about a specific thing about the firearm that only in hand can they answer correctly
3) Send payment IF anything seems off

That is just me but I would rather NOT buy then be taken for a ride

I hope your situation DOES end with exactly what you want :!:

9x19

Hunter
You have a name and phone number, plus email account... plenty of info to contact the sellers local PD... just tell them you're worried someone may be using aother's identity to steal... The PD can stop in to "warn the good folks."

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Matt,
I too received an message from "arpuff" about something I was looking to buy and he said there was a fellow named Timothy who had what I wanted. I had a bad feeling about it because the guy had exactly zero posts on the forum. I did not call the number given or message the email given because of that bad feeling.
Very curious to see how this turns out!

My suggestion: use USPS money order. Postal Inspectors are hyper about mail fraud and will chase the miscreants to the ends of the Earth. Most scammers know this and ask for some other form of payment.

mat523

Single-Sixer
I definitely have learned a lesson here. Hopefully everything turns out for the best and I really am not getting scammed. I am supposed to hear from Tim today with shipping confirmation. Anyone got any odds on if this will happen? I don't feel good about ARPUFF reaching out to other members on this sight with the same script that I fell for. It still feels fishy to me, fingers are crossed though that I am wrong. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens

mat523

Single-Sixer
Here is the original PM:

Hi,

I can help you out with a lead. Please contact Timothy on [email protected] regarding your request. He is located in Loretto, Tennessee,38469 and the last time i talked to him, he had for sale. I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in TOP condition. His cell # 423-453-3937.

Thanks
Ben

Mobuck said:
My suggestion: use USPS money order. Postal Inspectors are hyper about mail fraud and will chase the miscreants to the ends of the Earth. Most scammers know this and ask for some other form of payment.

^^^^THIS!!^^^^

I have never had a problem selling or buying from forum members, but I usually look at their profiles, post counts, etc. to see if they have been around for a while. Beware the newbie!

I hope this all works out for you in the end.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
That is the EXACt
same email address and email I received the other day when I was looking for a 9.3 x 74 Encore barrel. I emailed and after calling got really suspicious when the phone number was answered as some business other than a private home

hittman

Staff member
I too received the same PM in my search for a specific serial numbered Redhawk.

How many of us know a buddy with a gun for sale and know the guns serial number?

Ya gotta be careful.