I WAS SCAMMED PLS B CAREFUL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
On another forum I frequent, the administrator specifically warns people about this sort of thing. According to him, if you post WTB ads, you WILL eventually be contacted by a scammer. A request to wire money is an immediate red flag! He recommends asking the seller for a picture of the item, with YOUR email address written on a piece of paper prominently displayed. If the seller balks or makes excuses, run away! As for the poster who won't send money to PO boxes, how does he pay his bills? Most of mine go to PO boxes. That's also how I get my mail, because the USPS does NOT deliver to the house here.

Mobuck said:
My suggestion: use USPS money order. Postal Inspectors are hyper about mail fraud and will chase the miscreants to the ends of the Earth. Most scammers know this and ask for some other form of payment.

yes USPS money orders are safer , but if you think the postal inspectors are going to send much time on a few hundred dollar scam you'd better think again , they have way to much stuff on their hands to worry about the little ones
and that's straight from the horses mouth after losing $1500 to one several years back

turkeyhunter

Single-Sixer
About two weeks ago I was scammed by some a$$hole in Indiana on a rifle, I sent him a postal money order for it and now he is giving me the runaround on shipping it. Saturday morning I am going to make a drive to Indiana (I am in WV) and pay him a visit and I will either get my rifle or a large chunk of his A$$. I have bought and sold hundreds of guns on the internet and I have ALWAYS been fair and HONEST with people and all I ask is for people to be the same with me. 99.9% of the people on these forums are good honest people but unfortunately there are some people that are just out to screw you, but not me because I won't stand for it.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Here is the one he sent me as I am looking for a Ruger stock:

Hi,

I can help you out with a lead. Please contact Timothy on [email protected] regarding your request. He is located in Loretto, Tennessee,38469 and the last time i talked to him, he had for sale. I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in TOP condition. His cell # 423-453-3937.

Thanks
Ben

Ironically, the protection is always in favor of the seller. The seller receives his money, then ships the gun. He's got little to worry about. Sellers often require guaranteed funds (USPS MO, PayPal, bank-issued check, etc.), to satisfy their convenience needs, but then the buyer is left with only the hope that the seller ships the purchased item. I've always questioned why a seller can never trust a buyer, but the buyer is expected to trust the seller. It's the buyer that is the one we hear about way too often being ripped off.

WAYNO.

Xsales

Buckeye
"As for the poster who won't send money to PO boxes, how does he pay his bills? Most of mine go to PO boxes. That's also how I get my mail, because the USPS does NOT deliver to the house here."

I posted this as an additional precaution

If you get a good feeling from the guy and all seems legit then P.O. is OK
(I have from members here with zero concern)

However, as someone you don't know then request an actual address you can google and see it IS a home and not some downtown building aka red flag if dealing with a person usually they live in a home

Counterpoint: if you had to SEND a handgun to the same person - using Fed Ex or UPS you can't use a P.O. box as they require an actual adress
So if person states I use P.O. box ONLY that would be a red flag to me

Everyone HAS an actual address whether for U.S. mail or not
THAT is what I would want to obtain prior to sending payment, iF I do not know the person or are iffy

Xsales

Buckeye
" I've always questioned why a seller can never trust a buyer, but the buyer is expected to trust the seller. It's the buyer that is the one we hear about way too often being ripped off."

The Seller only has to get the funds (trust payment will be sent by Buyer) but in the mean time Seller retains firearm - he is out nothing (sake of time & frustration) if Buyer does not pay/perfom

Conversely, If Seller does not perfom, Buyer is out the money AND the firearm - double whammy for him

Once Seller receives payment ZERO trust is needed regarding the Buyer

Trust falls much more on the Seller from Buyer

4kdave

Blackhawk
I have had purchases on this forum where the seller shipped at the same time I gave him the tracking # for the payment envelope. Not large purchases but still there are still trusting people out there.
Hope the OP gets his gun and still trusts the 99.9% on our forum.

jd950

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
My suggestion: use USPS money order. Postal Inspectors are hyper about mail fraud and will chase the miscreants to the ends of the Earth. Most scammers know this and ask for some other form of payment.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but the supposed safety of paying by USPS money order is pretty much an urban myth. Postal Inspectors investigate a number of crimes including mail fraud and if you were defrauded in a manner that involved the USPS or any other interstate carrier (including UPS or FedEx), they have jurisdiction no matter what form of payment was used (how much effort they will devote to any particular situation is a different matter).

Payment via a USPS money order does not elevate the issue for them. At least in theory, there is a benefit in getting paid by a USPS money order because postal inspectors also investigate forged money orders and may treat that with increased interest over a basic "didn't get what you ordered" case. On the other hand, forgeries of USPS money orders have been on the rise for several years, so getting paid with one has its own risks.

The safest form of payment for a buyer is a credit card because of the ability of the cardholder to challenge the charge and the inevitable paper trail with credit card purchases, but of course, that only works with merchants. The least safe form of payment is Western Union, which I would assume to be a scam in almost all circumstances other than money transfers between family members. All other forms of payment are pretty much a roll of the dice. When I am going to send money to someone unknown to me, I will often do a basic internet search on the recipient's name, phone number and address to see if they look legit. It is surprising what you can find and if I can find nothing...I begin to think the deal is fishy.

fullbore

Bearcat
There is a great resource that I use at work to look at people. It is free.

radaris.com has areas to search. I specifically like the address finder.

addressradaris.com Get their address and punch it in. Most/some real people will show if you look around.

Scammers have come and gone over the years. I hate to see it in our communities.

I have passed on many a deal because the initial contact didn't pass the smell test... I usually will pass on any seller that demands or requests certified funds as I find that to be too much to the benefit of the seller and a sign of immediate distrust towards the buyer. (I did make my first EVER exception this week to purchase a gun off of a well respected forum member here, so like Ruger, I guess I can never say never!).

To me, when I offer to send a personal check with the caveat that the seller can hold "as long as he is comfortable or necessary to clear", then, that should be acceptable payment and most sellers will accept my check. I will NEVER wire money or deal with someone that is a newbie. I have seen a huge increase in scams on Armslist, to the point where I am just about done even looking at that site.

I am suspicious by nature, I would not have responded to his PM because of the use of simple, common names, i.e Tim/Ben and the lack of last names...no last name is a flag to me on the FIRST contact.

I have gotten some great buys off eBay because of NEW sellers not being established but that is usually small dollars and I am accepting the risk before I bid/buy.

Caveat Emptor, Baby!

Please let us know how this turns out for you....

Nh Rugerman said:
... I usually will pass on any seller that demands or requests certified funds as I find that to be too much to the benefit of the seller and a sign of immediate distrust towards the buyer. (I did make my first EVER exception this week to purchase a gun off of a well respected forum member here, so like Ruger, I guess I can never say never!).

Caveat Emptor, Baby!

I guess I'm not alone on this. I edited out this portion of my earlier post in this thread.

And since trust is not always a two-way street, I seldom purchase anything that requires that I go to the Post Office or bank to get a verifiable form of payment. If the seller cannot return the trust that I'm extending to him, then I don't need the item. Our semi-rural post office is overwhelmed with business, and it's common to wait in line the better part of an hour to get to the counter to purchase a money order. Why is my time less valuable than the sellers time? Recently I've purchased multiple items on this forum. The sellers required a USPS MO or similar form of payment. I offered my check. The sellers accepted my terms, but while I was in town I got a cashiers check from the bank anyway. Even that transaction took more than a half hour. I will stick to my guns. When a seller requires PayPal, a USPS MO, or a bank-issued check, I will pass, or pay with a credit card if they are a business. WAYNO.

Chance

Buckeye
mat523 said:
Here is the original PM:

Hi,

I can help you out with a lead. Please contact Timothy on [email protected] regarding your request. He is located in Loretto, Tennessee,38469 and the last time i talked to him, he had for sale. I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in TOP condition. His cell # 423-453-3937.

Thanks
Ben

What stands out in this post is the CMPLETE LACK of reference to what he has for sale. This is a form/generic post and I make it a point to never respond to anything of this sort. Nothing to indicate he has a GP for sale. BEWARE and don't assume.

gunsbam69

Hunter
WAYNO said:
Nh Rugerman said:
... I usually will pass on any seller that demands or requests certified funds as I find that to be too much to the benefit of the seller and a sign of immediate distrust towards the buyer. (I did make my first EVER exception this week to purchase a gun off of a well respected forum member here, so like Ruger, I guess I can never say never!).

Caveat Emptor, Baby!

I guess I'm not alone on this. I edited out this portion of my earlier post in this thread.

And since trust is not a two-way street, I seldom purchase anything that requires that I go to the Post Office or bank to get a verifiable form of payment. If the seller cannot return the trust that I'm extending to him, then I don't need the item. Our semi-rural post office is overwhelmed with business, and it's common to wait in line the better part of an hour to get to the counter to purchase a money order. Why is my time less valuable than the sellers time? Just yesterday I purchased an item on this forum. The seller required a USPS MO or similar form of payment. I offered my check, take it or leave it. The buyer accepted my terms, as a one-time convenience to me, but while I was in town I got a cashiers check from the bank anyway. Even that transaction took more than a half hour. I will stick to my guns. When a seller requires PayPal, a USPS MO, or a bank-issued check, I will pass. WAYNO.

Along with trust, respect should also be a two way street. Sometimes, if someone says to a seller, "I understand personal checks are not listed as a payment option on this, but I'm in no hurry and am glad to give it time to clear if you're good with that," then the seller will be good with it. It may be that the seller just doesn't want to have to tell people they're going to have to wait that long. Sometimes the attitude a guy comes in with has a lot to do with the way the other guy deals. Anytime someone tells me they EXPECT me to take a form of payment I don't list as accepted, I tend to get a little stiff, even if it costs me that sale, and future sales. As a matter of fact, if I happened to be the seller in question, I'd be glad just to send payment back once received and write it off to experience personally.

G2

Hunter
This same scam is over on the Smith & Wesson forum.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum-office/426564-i-think-scammer-sending-pms-wtb-ads.html

This website has the phone # reported as Nigerian Scam.
http://mrnumber.com/1-423/complaints

Doesn't look good, THANKS for the heads up.

FWIW
As for what I will take for payment, you all have seen it,
Cash, Check, USPS M/O, Discreet PayPal, Gold, Silver, Diamonds, Saddles or IOU... :shock:

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
Mat523- from all the feed back you are getting on this transaction, I hope your not soured by this. We all hope that karma will catch up to this sucker! The short time I've been a member here, I've had all fantastic interactions with all other members, don't give up on US!---bedrockfred

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
G2 said:
This same scam is over on the Smith & Wesson forum.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum-office/426564-i-think-scammer-sending-pms-wtb-ads.html

This website has the phone # reported as Nigerian Scam.
http://mrnumber.com/1-423/complaints

Doesn't look good, THANKS for the heads up.

FWIW
As for what I will take for payment, you all have seen it,
Cash, Check, USPS M/O, Discreet PayPal, Gold, Silver, Diamonds, Saddles or IOU... :shock:

:lol: :lol: I traded a rifle for two saddles this past winter. Great minds must think alike!

mat523

Single-Sixer
I have contacted the local ATF branch here in chicago. Spoke with a field agent who was receptive to looking into the matter. Sent him all the info. We will see how this turns out.

6gun

Hunter
I would never trust a seller with low post count even if he is honest, he is unknown on the forum and hasn't built a trust with anyone.

I also wouldn't buy from someone that didn't give me a full address and phone number that I could look up and verify.

I remember a couple years back I was selling a Vaquero on Armslist and planed to sell local FTF a buyer from out of state contacted me and wanted to buy it, I agreed to send it to his FFL of choice had it all boxed up and ready to ship then he backs out cause he didn't trust me, just goes to show neither buyers or sells can always be trusted.