I thought we had real RUGER collectors on the RF.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coogs

Maximum
Wow!, Steve very cool!!!!! Ya get hooked on one and ya JUST CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I should know, 30 Maxi's and still counting!!!!Coogs.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Chad for your notes

got another one but forgot its number :roll:

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
I`m grateful to the OP for this topic. I didn`t realise until reading p.275 and 276 of Ruger Pistols and Revolvers that my hi-polish mahogany case Super is considered ``scarce`` as they were actually meant to go in the white box and according to Dougan the reason they were super polished was to make up for the fact that there were no more mahogany boxes after the fire at the box manufacturer. Do you guys concur that most mahogony box Supers were not hi-polish?

IMGP3703.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
BC Mike said:
I`m grateful to the OP for this topic. I didn`t realise until reading p.275 and 276 of Ruger Pistols and Revolvers that my hi-polish mahogany case Super is considered ``scarce`` as they were actually meant to go in the white box and according to Dougan the reason they were super polished was to make up for the fact that there were no more mahogany boxes after the fire at the box manufacturer. Do you guys concur that most mahogony box Supers were not hi-polish?

No...I don't concur on that one. From the shipping dates I've got on dull/high polished Supers and Mahogany cased/white cased Supers that could not have been the reason at all.
The dull polish is known to have been used on the Super Blackhawk with guns shipped through at least 9/7/60. The Super Blackhawk high polish is known on guns shipped from at least 8/29/60.
But....the mahogany case is known to have been used with Super Blackhawks shipped to April 1961 while the white case is known to have been used from April 1961 to at least October 1962.
With an 8-month gap there between changes, is tough for me to believe Ruger started the high polish "after" the supplier fire.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey....I think I may have just cracked another mystery with the Long Frame Super.
For forever collectors have assumed the "C" stamped on the backside of those panels was the abbreviation for "centimeter". I've always wondered about that because a centimeter is pretty big, really....more than twice the length of the 3/16" of extra length everybody says is present on the Long Frame (and why would Sile, being a New York based company go by the metric system instead of our U.S. measurement system?).

Could it really be so simple to think that Ruger's XR3 grip panels may have been part number "A" or "Ruger A" at Sile, Ruger's Super Blackhawk panels were "B" or "Ruger B" and the "different" long frame Super panels were simply designated "C" or "Ruger C", and just stamped the oddballs with a "C" on the back to make a quick reference of which was which?

Something else to ponder...since Ruger went to the high polish before they went to the white case, you'd think Ruger would have kept their S47 price at $120 instead of dropping it $4 because of the cardboard case.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
But....the mahogany case is known to have been used with Super Blackhawks shipped to April 1961 while the white case is known to have been used from April 1961 to at least October 1962.
With an 8-month gap there between changes, is tough for me to believe Ruger started the high polish "after" the supplier fire.
Chet15

Pistols & Revolvers states a Memo, containing the "supplier fire" news, was sent from SR&Co. to their Distributors on Dec. 8, 1960. So, it's quite likely Ruger had a decent supply of Mahogany Cases "in stock", enough to last until April of '61.

So, I certainly think our esteemed Red Eagle News Exchange Editor has it figured out!

Thanks, Chet15!

flatgate

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
BC Mike said:

No...I don't concur on that one. From the shipping dates I've got on dull/high polished Supers and Mahogany cased/white cased Supers that could not have been the reason at all.
The dull polish is known to have been used on the Super Blackhawk with guns shipped through at least 9/7/60. The Super Blackhawk high polish is known on guns shipped from at least 8/29/60.
Chet15

Well that certainly fits with my hi polish mahogany box....shipped September 1960

IMGP6331.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Did anyone(The Principals, of course) do a reachout to Miss Patti, to see if any of (I am assuming here)Lynn's notes or records spoke of the purchaser of the SN 100 SBH? Just an idea, and additionally, perhaps Jim Hoobler may have an idea or comment, as he was involved in the sale of Lynn's estate guns after his death.........MIKE

chet15

Hawkeye
Another point that kind of backs up the High polish/mahogany case thought is that when Ruger made a statement in their 1961 catalog insert (small booklet type catalog), they made mention of the fire and that because of that they were going to the white fitted cardboard case, but there was no mention of the added value of a high polish in that paragraph. Interestingly, they don't tell of a price reduction by $4 n that insert either.
For Ruger price sheets, the mahogany case is listed as being available with the S47 in those dated 1/4/60 at $120 and the next price sheets are dated 3/6/61 with no mention of the mahogany case (or fitted white casae) and a price reduction of $4.

Here's the link to the measurement converter I got off the internet to decipher the "C" on the back of the long frame panels (centimeter vs. 3/16")...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001661.html

3/16" as a decimal is .1875, so a centermeter is over 3/8" even.
Chet15

chet15 said:
Hey....I think I may have just cracked another mystery with the Long Frame Super.
For forever collectors have assumed the "C" stamped on the backside of those panels was the abbreviation for "centimeter". I've always wondered about that because a centimeter is pretty big, really....more than twice the length of the 3/16" of extra length everybody says is present on the Long Frame (and why would Sile, being a New York based company go by the metric system instead of our U.S. measurement system?).

Could it really be so simple to think that Ruger's XR3 grip panels may have been part number "A" or "Ruger A" at Sile, Ruger's Super Blackhawk panels were "B" or "Ruger B" and the "different" long frame Super panels were simply designated "C" or "Ruger C", and just stamped the oddballs with a "C" on the back to make a quick reference of which was which?

Something else to ponder...since Ruger went to the high polish before they went to the white case, you'd think Ruger would have kept their S47 price at $120 instead of dropping it $4 because of the cardboard case.
Chet15

Chad,
I like your thoughts! But I was thinking that Sturm Ruger orginally only had Rubber XR-3 grips would have been 'A' & then Wood XR-3 grips 'B' them the Super Blackhawk Long Frame grips 'C' because Bill ordered up 300 grip frames made first for the Super Blackhawks. But Elmer thought the grip was to long & one other writer ( I can't remember who!) said the same, so Bill shortened it. At the time there were only two types of grips for the single actions (Except Bearcat's) The Hard Rubber Grips Or The Wood Grips. Yes there are variations in the Wood Grips but they all were XR-3 grips.. Once the 300 Grips that were Longer Frames were finally used up, the as we know it today Super Blackhawk Grips are the same until the Smaller Rounded Trigger Guard Super Blackhawks came out Years later. J/S

chet15

Hawkeye
SteveRuger said:
Chad,
I like your thoughts! But I was thinking that Sturm Ruger orginally only had Rubber XR-3 grips would have been 'A' & then Wood XR-3 grips 'B' them the Super Blackhawk Long Frame grips 'C' because Bill ordered up 300 grip frames made first for the Super Blackhawks. But Elmer thought the grip was to long & one other writer ( I can't remember who!) said the same, so Bill shortened it. At the time there were only two types of grips for the single actions (Except Bearcat's) The Hard Rubber Grips Or The Wood Grips. Yes there are variations in the Wood Grips but they all were XR-3 grips.. Once the 300 Grips that were Longer Frames were finally used up, the as we know it today Super Blackhawk Grips are the same until the Smaller Rounded Trigger Guard Super Blackhawks came out Years later. J/S

Just speaking of wood grips made by Sile (and "Sile's" own possible "in-house" reference with the the "C" marking). Chances are, Ruger wouldn't have been the ones to mark the LF grip panels with the "C". I'll bet it was the contractor (Sile) that did that. Of course this is all specuation, but the "C" is definitely not the abbreviation for centimeter.

Sile didn't have anything to do with the checkered black rubber XR3 grips....JD says those were "molded by Firestone Rubber Co.", and anyway, Ruger's part number for their hard rubber panels was R-10-L and R-10-R (the first letter "R" being the abbreviation for "Revolver"). That was my thoughts...on the "wood" SA panels that Ruger offered (all made by Sile), perhaps the wood XR3 were Sile's designated "A", the wood S47 grip Sile's "B" and the oddball long frame grips were designated "C" by Sile. Again, just speculation on my part...but I'm sticking by my story!! :D

Maybe....just maybe, the guy who has pretty good access to a lot of receipts etc from the early days has a copy of something from Sile????
Chet15