i need advice on primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JamesLoren

Bearcat
Hi, I prepared some cases a while back, primed them ,and set them aside. I can not remember if i used cci small pistol, Or small pistol magnum primers? Is there a way to tell the diferance between the two by just looking? thanks

Magnum and Standard primers? Not that I know of, maybe someone else can help. If you are NOT loading near Maximum loads it may not make a difference. But if you are using a ball slower burning powder like 296 or 110 you'll want Magnum primers. ps

contender

Ruger Guru
Generally, no you can not tell by just looking at them. I'd assume they are magnums, and load a medium load in them and use them for plinking ammo.

Rclark

Hunter
Next time... mark the box you store them in :) . Normally the storage boxes come with a 'label' to write this info on. As contender says, assume magnum and load a light/medium load in them.

mikld

Blackhawk
Yep, assume they are magnum primers and load up a little lighter load than you had planned.

By my Lyman manual CCI is the ONLY mfg. that doesn't color code the foil under the anvil. :cry:
I make notes and leave the primer carton out so this is not a wonder.
Yes load like they are mag. primers. Eric

pps

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Generally, no you can not tell by just looking at them. I'd assume they are magnums, and load a medium load in them and use them for plinking ammo.

+1

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
You could fire one of the unloaded primed cases in your gun pointed at the ground in front of you to see how large a crater is developed by the blast. Over ten feet across - it's a magnum primer. Gerry

Amistad

Single-Sixer
For what it's worth, I came into some Wolf Small Pistol Magnum primers not long ago. When I tried them, I backed my load down a bit. They fired OK. I then worked the charge weight back up to where it had been with Wolf Small Pistol primers. They fired fine. Actually, I could tell no difference between the primers...

Amistad

e3mrk

Bearcat
Isn't the back of the Case marked with the manufacturers name and Caliber?
All of Mine are.

GP100man

Buckeye
Not scientific by no means but ya can definitelytell the difference by taking a #2 pencil & pointing it straight up ,fire with a mag primer ,then a standard . Then see which 1 matches your mystery primers !!

I`ve personally not found alot of difference in power of the small primers until ya step up to small rifle .

Now the cups , there`s a big difference !!!
Different cups for different pressures .

Now , not to say small primers are interchangeable !!! There not.!!! Especially if your teetering on the edge of max pressures , but safe loads can be developed with any primer as long as the firearm can strike it hard enuff or does`nt peirce it .

Recommended ??? NO we have primer&powder companies that have done more R&D than we ever will !!!

Meandoring off now .

But I`ve done the same thing & used this method to determine the strength of the primers. Use standard safety gear !!! & do it outside !!!

Here`s a link to a test much more sophisticated than mine !
It`s mainly on rifle & LP primers but you`ll see a pattern develop if ya study it a bit !!

http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm