Hunting with Ruger no.1 open sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

350Rem

Bearcat
Thinking about challenging myself this fall and use my No.1 (7mm-08) with just the iron sights and no scope.
Shots will be between 50-100 yards. Anyone hunt this way?
How accurate are the factory supplied sights?

Thanks

Single-Sixer
Open sights are, mostly, the way I hunt. I enjoy the challenge of getting close. I have never killed a deer farther than 45 yards or so away, and at that distance open sights are fine. You do lose a little bit of hunting time at dawn and sundown though, which is where a scope comes in handy.

pruger45

Blackhawk
I hunted whitetail deer in Pennsylvania for many years with a 45/70 lever action with a Williams peep sight! Go for it!

Try it and see. The sights should be plenty accurate for the job if you can see them well.

Open sights would be a real challenge to me. Partially because of my eye sight and partially because of the tiny bead on the no.1 front sights. I wish I could use them, but I need a scope or red dot any more.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have a few 1A or 1S models I'd certainly use sans optics to hunt with. Practice, know your limitations and you're good to go.

wunbe

Buckeye
The Safari grade irons on the Boddington series are the only Ruger#1 irons worth a damn to me. The NECGW peep sights are very good but the front sight still needs a white vertical stripe to be readily seen against darker backgrounds.

wunbe

dakota1911

Buckeye
Used to hunt deer, elk and antelope with a Ruger No. 1 International in 30-06. This is when I was younger. Practice is the key but I found the supplied iron sights good out to 200 yards on a critter. This is when I was younger. Now I use a scope.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
After deer hunting for 9 years with only archery equipment, and limiting shots to 35 yards and LESS, hunting with open sights on a rifle seems totally acceptable to me. I've shot 70% of my deer kills with scoped rifles in years prior to the archery only spell. Now, I believe the very best weapon IS a scoped rifle but you pick your weapon and match it to the area you hunt. I would have to limit my deer rifle shot ranges with open sights to about 80 yards with my eyesight. However I see MANY deer at less than 50 yards.

700xcr

Bearcat
350Rem said:
Thinking about challenging myself this fall and use my No.1 (7mm-08) with just the iron sights and no scope.
Shots will be between 50-100 yards. Anyone hunt this way?
How accurate are the factory supplied sights?

Thanks[/quote) My Ruger I installed a NECG Ruger Ghost Ring Peep Sight.
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=6255&ST=Ruger%20Ghost%20Ring%20Peep#.WPGB2fQrK00

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I have the NECG Ruger Peep sight not the ghost ring peep sight for my No.1
I have it paired with an XS Ruger white stripe front sight, I think its .400" tall in my 7x57 RSI. I cant say I AM accurate with it but I can keep shots inside a 6" circle at 100yds, usually 2"-3" groups. Thats plenty for hunting.
Im shooting the classic 175gr round nose soft nose bullet at 2400fps handload.

pete44ru

Hunter
SHOOTER said:
Did you have to change the front sight when using the NECG rear peep?

Yes, a taller front sight will be needed to achieve zero with the NECG peepsight; but I would suggest checking out the Skinner peepsight for the Ruger #1, which Skinner says will zero w/o changing the front sight height.

http://www.skinnersights.com/ruger_firearms_22.html