How do you grip your LCP?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kraut

Bearcat
grip4.jpg

This is how it looks like when your finger tip is placed on the trigger of your LCP.
It is quite unconfortable (even if you have small hands) since your index finger is already extremely bent in the neutral (!) trigger position. When pulling the trigger, things become even more unconfortable.
If I pull the LCP trigger with the finger tip, all my groups move about 1ft to the right on the blank since I automatically pull Elsie to the right as well.

grip5.jpg

This is how it looks like if you pull the trigger of your LCP with the joint area of your index finger. Not a very "orthodox" method for a semiauto handgun but the best for the LCP (just my 2 cents). Elsie keeps straight when pulling the trigger. The result is a better shot placement. Problem: It is not that easy to rapidly fire subsequent shots.

How do I grip the LCP?
grip1.jpg

This is how I usually grip Elsie with 2 hands.
Now some will scream, hey, he is teacupping…and surely they are right. However, if I grip Elsie in the ways shown in the next 2 images, I have 4 problems:
1) My trigger finger interferes with my left (supporting) hand
2) The thumb of my left hand is nearly in front of the muzzle
3) The thumb of my left hand somehow interferes with the slide
4) It is neary impossible to adopt such grips quickly (with the LCP!) when rapidly pulling Elsie from a holster.
Additionaly, the grip does not feel very stable (with my hand size).

grip2.jpg

This is how our peruvian range officer grips my LCP.
His hands are considerably smaller than mine.
He shoots very precisley with the LCP. However, he needs a lot of time in order to grip the LCP this way.

grip3.jpg

This is how a friend grips my LCP.
His hands have nearly the same size as mine.
He is a Glock owner, and this is how he usually grips his Glock.
He feels quite unconfortable with Elsie and needs a lot of time to adopt this grip.
He has to pull the trigger with the finger tip, not with the joint aerea, otherwise the trigger finger would interfere with his left thumb.

Any comments or suggestions?

cwegga

Bearcat
I grip my LCP pretty much the same as I would any other handgun. A couple of exceptions being that I (some would say incorrectly) wrap my trigger finger through so I'm pulling with the middle segment of my finger and I take a ring finger under grip much like people go pinky under with SAs. I find my grip to be just as quick and easy as with any other gun so I'm not sure why you guys are having trouble with speed in getting a good grip.

I find with a lot of guns I end up wrapping too much finger around the trigger. I've just always needed to for comfort with anything smaller than full size because I have long fingers. It doesn't seem to affect my accuracy any so... I think if you are going to wrap your finger through though you need to take a thumbs high grip. Otherwise you will have to much interference between your trigger fingertip and your thumbs.

Anyway here are some pictures of before pulling the trigger and after pulling the trigger. My support hand thumb does not actually touch the slide even if it looks like it and my trigger finger ends up softly touching my thumb as if I was about to try snapping my fingers.

Before trigger pull:
111kphe.jpg

After trigger pull:
vxr8n.jpg

Kraut

Bearcat
Interesting!
The principal feature of your grip seems to be that
your left thumb lies over the right thumb.
(Is that what you call a "thumbs high grip")?

No, employing my own "Elsie-grip" I do not have problems with speed, just with the very short grip of Elsie.
The other 2 people I mentioned had problems with speed since they own other (larger) guns and felt a little bit lost with tiny Elsie.

cwegga

Bearcat
Kraut said:
Interesting!
The principal feature of your grip seems to be that
your left thumb lies over the right thumb.
(Is that what you call a "thumbs high grip")?

I dunno if that would be a thumbs high grip or not. That's just what I find comfortable. Maybe it comes from shooting double action revolvers where there isn't anywhere too convenient to put your thumbs? Videos I have seen from real shooting instructors etc. teach that thumbs should be parallel to the barrel and the strong one slightly above and behind the weak one. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong in all sorts of ways but it works for me and I don't have money to buy ammo much less classes right now.

This is a pretty good video though it isn't what I do and I don't know if it is even possible with something as small as an LCP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Kraut

Bearcat
cwegga said:
I dunno if that would be a thumbs high grip or not. That's just what I find comfortable. Maybe it comes from shooting double action revolvers where there isn't anywhere too convenient to put your thumbs? Videos I have seen from real shooting instructors etc. teach that thumbs should be parallel to the barrel and the strong one slightly above and behind the weak one. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong in all sorts of ways but it works for me ...

@cwegga:
Tried out your grip with my Elsie.
It does not work at all for me (i.e. for my hands). Feels extremely uncomfortable and instable.

The "right" grip is something quite individual I feel...

Latest posts