Hollowpoints with some tin added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have been having some expansion issues with my #358156 Hollowpoints for my .38-44 Outdoorsman. My bullets of straight wheelweights expanded and fragmented going from 150 grains to 125 grains, I then tried a 50/50 mix of soft lead and wheel weights and they expanded but also fragmented and the weights dropped to less than 100 grains when recovered. All the bullets were fired into wet newsprint and all the loads were exactly the same. I loaded 12.5 grains of 2400. The latest bullets are wheelweights with about 5% tin and the weight retention was up, the bullet in the center is 135 grains while the others are 126 and 128 grains respectively. I plan on using these for whitetail deer this fall since I am having another surgery for my left arm and a rifle or a shotgun is out of the question and the .38-44 groups and shoots very well off a set of sticks out to 65 yards which I would not shoot past due to the caliber and the gun itself. I just want to make sure I have the best bullet possible and these cast #358156 HP's are revered for their use on game animals. All of the bullets regardless penetrated around 12 inches of newsprint.

Straight wheelweights into wet newsprint
picture2574.jpg

50/50 wheelweights and soft lead into wet newsprint
picture2620.jpg

Wheelweights with 5% tin added into wet newsprint
picture2710.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
Try a soft cast 158-160 SWC.
I got a dollar that says they'll expand just as much as your hollow points, without loosing the weight.
About 3/4 lead, 1/4 wheel weights ought to do it. Add a little rosin flux to the pot to help it blend and float the crud to the top.
Alox is your friend.

Hope this helps.

DGW

GP100man

Buckeye
They look as if the antimony content is up a bit close to 3-4%, OR zinc contamination you can haxe 2-3% & never know it.

Do you have to cast HOT (775-835) to get good fill out ???

I`d try to soften up your current alloy or try another batch .

Also what bhn are ya boolits , if ya get much over 13bhn they start splintering like ya got there.

Older WW alloy was more consistent than it is now !!

Hope this helps .

DGW1949

Hunter
GP100man"........... I`d try to soften up your current alloy or try another batch . Also what bhn are ya boolits said:
Yeah, that is exactly what I was getting at.

DGW