Gunsight Scout for SHTF?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
I have been pondering the applicability of an accurate bolt gun for use in a more extreme situation. Enemy kept at distance is kept at bay, so to speak. Should we get screwed over by our legislators I am keeping in mind what may remain "legal" for at least the short term. This rifle intrigues me a bit. The 10 round detachable magazine, the ability to use optics and have irons as backup, the short barrel.

One question is, does it shoot? MOA would be nice but paper plate @ 500 yards would be acceptable.

And, does anyone make a ringmount that would set back the scope for a more typical rifle scope eye relief?

I haven't delved too deeply as yet, so if there are other manufacturers that offer a similar platform I am all ears. Been a Ruger guy for a long time, all handguns, this would be my first Ruger rifle.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
I too have been looking at them a lot lately. That new stainless model Ruger came out with sure is pur-dy, they even come left handed! I can manage RH semi-auto's, but manipulating a bolt, trying to keep sight of my target while firing a standard bolt action rifle can be kind of trying. I have been looking around & it seems, even if I order & pay for it now...it will be several months before I can even start to expect it!

I don't care for mounting a scope "scout" style either, I haven't looked into who makes the mount yet, but I saw some pictures the other day of a GSR with the scope mounted traditionally!

I had been looking at a Remington 700 LH in 7mm, but am wondering about the accuracy of the GSR's...308's are sure easier to find at the store, as I have not yet began to reload...next year...I wanna move out of Kali first!

dfletcher

Blackhawk
The GSR comes with Ruger rings for conventional mounting. I went the forward mount route and use a 2.5 to 8X handgun scope, that seems like plently of power. Conventional mounting means you lose the rear peep sight. Just guessing but unless you remove the rail I figure with the Ruger rings your front bell will have to be 32 mm otherwise you'll run into the top.

The rifle's accuracy surprised me. I figured it would be about the same as the RSI but I'm getting 3 shot, one "largish" hole groups at 100 yds with Hdy 168 and Win 748.

I didn't want to buy the thing, wasn't looking for it but had the "gotta buy something" urge and the GSR came closest. I'm really happy I did, it's becoming a favorite.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine hasn't been superbly accurate, but it'll work. I haven't tried that many loads through it yet. I bought mine mainly for use with a suppressor.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I bought mine strictly as a short, handy utility rifle. I regularly shoot Hi Power rifle matches with it and am pleased with it's performance. Many folks on another forum actually use there's for hunting and have posted many a picture of it's success. I strictly shoot my reloads in mine and have not shot commercial ammo in it. I've shot around 500 rounds through mine so far.

It doesn't have a silky smooth action, but it's built like a tank, is handy and works for everything I need it for. I can't hardly even see 500 yards, much less hit a target that far, so that's not so important to me. I'm sure with ammo it likes, it'll shoot just as well as most mass produced bolt action rifles. My reloads give me about 3" at 100 yards with irons and I'm perfectly happy with that. I'm happy if I can even hit a pie plate that far. ;)

welder

Buckeye
I bought mine because I have always liked the Scout concept. This gun was an easy choice, .308, detachable box, short barrel and best of all a Ruger. I have yet to fire mine and will work with it when weather and work allows. I managed to pick up some ammo for it back in the summer, about 300 rds., all Winchester 150gr. Hope it likes it and wish I had bought more.

welder

Buckeye
rugnelli said:
If you would consider a .223, the Mossberg MVP is worth a look...

I have looked at one several times myself. I like it. Was hoping to hear from someone with some rounds downrange as to how they do. Reviews on line are all over the place.
Do you have or have you fired one?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cooper's whole point of the "scout rifle" concept was to have one rifle that could "do it all," i.e., do just about everything you could ask a rifle to do. And the scout seems to fit the bill for everything except "up close and personal," fast and furious street combat (probably involving multiple assailants). But that end of the spectrum can be handled by a good combat shotgun (extended mag pump), a pistol-caliber lever action, or even a good handgun if you're really good with it. Yeah, I'd prefer an AR or M1 carbine for that kind of action, but you could do good work with the riot gun, saddlegun, or pistol.

I have not fired mine, thus far. I just mounted a 3-9 Leupold on it tonight. I have the Predator with the 18.5" barrel. It seems to be very handy... at least it seems so while handling it in my living room...

welder

Buckeye
The Predator is the model I looked at. I especially like the fact it accepts AR mags. Shouldered well for me too. Maybe it will be my next addition.

CoyoteDown

Bearcat
If you can find a Mini in the 6.8 SPC I would say that in close or way down range this would be the do-it all rifle - compact, 20 round mags, works with a standard type scope (mine has a 4 to 16X44) all weather and light.

Just saying.

Got back from the show in Augusta this past Saturday and hefted the Gun Site. Good fit even for my tall frame. I was wondering if the stock extensions for the Gun Site would fit my Mini stock.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
CoyoteDown said:
If you can find a Mini in the 6.8 SPC I would say that in close or way down range this would be the do-it all rifle - compact, 20 round mags, works with a standard type scope (mine has a 4 to 16X40) all weather and light.

I was looking at one of those minis a while back. I have a 6.8 AR that I really like & wanted to get a compadre' for it. The only thing is, they appear to be the old chambering. I have seen some people have it reamed out to the SPEC II dimensions so there are no ammo compatibility issues. If I find a used one I may pick it up...I just never could by a new one & then immediately pay someone to have it cut up!

Is there store bought ammo available for it as it is? I haven't started reloading yet, so that is kinda important to me!

Sorry....not trying to hijack the thread!

CoyoteDown

Bearcat
Yes - OTC - Remington 115gr and Hornady 115gr. See SSA or Cabela's - most likely source. Much lighter to carry in the field.

Good luck on your search - they are out there.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
welder said:
The Predator is the model I looked at. I especially like the fact it accepts AR mags. Shouldered well for me too. Maybe it will be my next addition.

You're talking about a bolt action rifle that takes AR mags? I see a GSR with an 18" barrel. What gun are you guys talking about?

welder

Buckeye
Sorry ArmedinAz, it's a Mossberg rifle. I saw one at my LGS. There was a write up in one of the gun rags too, I just can't remember which one. You can see it on the Mossberg cite. Looks promising, about $459.99 at my local shop.

I took my daughter rabbit hunting today so I still have not shot mine. The more I handle it, however, the more I like it...

As far as caliber is concerned, for a SHTF rifle the .223 should be the most common round available or obtainable if it came to that... well, maybe excluding the .22 rimfire...