"Gunk" under LCI on p345

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ACM73

Bearcat
How do all of you owners of p345's clean the gunk that gets under the loaded chamber indicator out? My dad's p345 has had the lci stuck up about half way from all the crud underneath it for a while now. I cleaned it the best I could and I got it to go almost flush but was unable to get it the whole way. If I had time to piss around with it more I think I could have gotten it cleaner, but I feel as if I may be missing a simpler process to clean it out. Anyone have this issue and find a good way to clean it?

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
You're gonna have to remove it. I don't know how and the exploded diagram doesn't tell me for sure, but it looks like maybe you need to remove the extracor to get the LCI out.

Once you do get it cleaned, I'd keep it dry as possible. No lube or solvents in there, which will just attract debris and fouling.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Remove the rear sight to remove the LCI. I too have this gun and that's an issue with me also. Doesn't take much shooting to get powder fowling underneath this thing and it will tend to protrude upwards. I've considered completely removing mine to avoid this problem and then all you do is just look into the chamber to see if a round is loaded.

ACM73

Bearcat
I'll have to take the site off after a few more range trips. Thanks for the advice!

desertrat

Single-Sixer
It should be mentioned that you need to be very careful when removing the rear sight. Best direction to slide it off is towards the left side of the slide. This is because it will be more prone to bind the springs below on underside recesses if its moved in the other direction. Then slide it very slowly being careful to catch springs and spring plungers on the way off.

Good luck.... :lol:

*update* Sorry, my mistake. You should slide the sight off towards the right side to avoid what I mentioned. You need only move it far enough to the right to clear the LCI, being careful not to let the magazine trigger lock spring (left of centerline) fly out.