Gunblast.com Review of new Ruger SR-762 Semi-Auto carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
308 isn't that bad for recoil, even non-padded stock should be fine. I fired my Saiga 308 with various stocks, no pads on them and it was fine. Now I have a Beryl collapsible stock on it, with factory rubber pad, that actualy mainly makes the buttstock wide, not thick or soft - works fine, still.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
clayflingythingy said:
blume357 said:
Maybe I'm just out of touch with the real world, but there was a time when Ruger's business plan was to build guns for the average man.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around $2,200 being what the average man or woman would pay for a rifle.

Bollocks.

The No. 1 was never an "average man's gun". Nor did Ruger offer el cheapo Model 77's to compete with Savage or the Remington 788 back in the day.

True, on those two examples. But with respect to handguns and pistols, their 22 rifles and even the Mini and their side by side shotgun, Ruger emphasized value. Value can of course be getting a $3K rifle for only $2K, but for most a $2K rifle would not meet the definition of affordable.

I've poked around trying to find who makes what for them, no luck. Troy & Magpul are listed for some minor parts, but nothing substantial.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Someone please post a link to current Ruger literature where it says every firearm they make should be affordable to every average joe.... that was then, this is now. If the average guy wants one of these he can give up a couple of future tattoos.. ...or save up for it. :?

I'd sure like to handle and shoot one.

I'm not in love with the MSRP either, but everything is higher than they used to be. As mentioned, the actual store price will likely be more reasonable, particularly after they've been out for a while.

The lack of a recoil pad shouldn't be too difficult to overcome for those who feel they need one. An M1A is quite tolerable with the metal buttplate so I'd give the Ruger a try before rushing out to buy a pad . . . and I'd not feel the least bit bad about adding one if I thought it were necessary. The adjustable stock will allow you to pretty much compensate for the extra length.

JMHO
:)

Mac11

Bearcat
Just bought one oTD for $1699. Took it to the range and did a 60 rd function, scope sight in and am very satisfied. The recoil is on par with a 20 ga shotgun, the gun functioned flawlessly thru the test and rds 55-57 actually butterflied into a single hole at 100 yes with XM80. Thanks Jeff for the great review!!!

There's an extensive Dick Metcalf review in the December Guns 'N' Ammo.

Yes, I know Metcalf has "baggage" but I thought he was thorough in this review. At least it was pretty comprehensive.

JMHO

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Every gun reviewed by Dick Metcalf is the greatest gun ever made. He will heap copious amounts of praise on the biggest POS ever assembled.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Now that DM has shown himself to be a dumb as Jim Dumbo, no one should read anything in G&A until gun owners have his head on a platter.

Hell, I remember his review of the S&W Sigma on its introduction. U would have thought it was the greatest handgun on the planet. :roll: DM is a paid shill for the gun companies. Over the years he proclaimed any # of crap guns as groundbreaking or some other hyperbole.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
clayflingythingy said:
Now that DM has shown himself to be a dumb as Jim Dumbo, no one should read anything in G&A until gun owners have his head on a platter.

Hell, I remember his review of the S&W Sigma on its introduction. U would have thought it was the greatest handgun on the planet. :roll: DM is a paid shill for the gun companies. Over the years he proclaimed any # of crap guns as groundbreaking or some other hyperbole.

Didn't he just get fired...???

unkkev31

Bearcat
Ok I just ordered my Ruger 762 from Turners and I'm hearing that people are having trouble with the gun not feeding from the Mags?
Has anyone else heard or seen this??

Dslelande

Bearcat
I get mine sat, was not detoured by the piston envy;) it will be a great gun, esp with a timney trigger and a magpul stock...buy rem umc if you need heap ammo, I'm sure it will cycle fine, don't be jealous of the scar lovers with there ugly plastic expensive guns that wanna justify why they spent so much more money for a half plastic counterfeit gun that they can't get mags for...is it perfect, no, should so many people waste there time hating on a great gun they are either jealous of or can't afford no as we'll! Less blogging more shooting! That's the only place to educate yourself!

...in part, from the following link

OK, here's my update to my (and the rifle's) issue.
The ammo I used was NATO spec FMJ/BT.
I contacted Ruger for the second time and learned that they are having problems with Magpul magazined feeding properly in the SR-762. Both companies are working on the issue, and trying things such as spring tension and follower configuration changes. Ruger has even applied a lube to the follower face to facillitate better feeding. My mags have both the black follower (Ruger shipped) and OD green follower (Midway purchase). Using both I experience misfeeds and a failure to properly cycle, about 50% of the time. (Differend percentaged for different problems.)
Ruger has asked that I send in their magazines for evaluation.
I'll keep posting with any updates.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-shotgun-discussion/153836-problems-ruger-sr-762-a.html

WAYNO.

heatingman

Bearcat
I have had my SR762 for a few weeks. Generally I love the gun. It is very accurate and I find the recoil light for the cartridge. The trigger pull is okay unless you are looking for this gun to be something other than what it is. My 1 issue is the P-Mags delivered with the gun. I had numerous failures to feed with all 3 of the Ruger issued mags on my 1st shake out of the gun. After that, I rounded up a few DPMS mags for subsequent shoots and the gun has since ran flawless. Right now I have 3 - 308 P-Mags out of the wrapper, and 12 still new in the wrapper, that I will be selling or trading for more DPMS metal mags. By the way, I have heard this same thing from the only 2 other people that I know personally, who own SR762's. Ruger should be embarrassed that it takes mags from another manufacturer to make their gun work properly.

heatingman

Bearcat
At least the SR762 does work well with other magazines(DPMS) that are accessible. I would really like to hear from others with SR762's, as to whether they have experienced failures to feed with P-Mags! Please chime in!

I have had my SR 762 for about a month. I have used the three PMags that came with the rifle and five more Gen 2 PMags without any problems. The rifle shoot well with any ammo I have tried, including Federal white box 149 grain, Black Hills match, Federal match, Magtech 150 grain ball, and Federal 165 grain soft point.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Can't say that I am not concerned about the failures I've been reading about related to the SR762 and the plastic magazines supplied by Ruger. In the several weeks I've had my 762 I've only fired about 100 rounds through it. There was one FTF in about the second magazine. Round did not fully chamber and was difficult to extract. May have been caused by the mag but don't know for sure. Following that the rifle has been flaw-less and very accurate. I will certainly look for any "defect" that may turn up but so far I think the SR762 is a winner. Gerry

Mac11

Bearcat
Just got a response from Magpul!

"Thank you for contacting us. We have heard of some issues popping up with the New SR 7.62 and Gen3 PMAGs, this is something that we are looking into with Ruger to see if we can find out what's going on. but as of now we don't have any answers at to a fix. Please stay in contact with us and Ruger and once we have a fix it will be announced.

Latest posts