GP100 Wiley Clapp ammo problem-UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cossack17

Bearcat
golferboy426 said:
send it back and request a new gun if they refuse, use the ask the ceo portion of the web site for resolution giving him all the details
Golferboy426,
You hit the nail right on the head! I called the Customer Service at 8:30AM, but Service Manager had a day off today. Anyways, they send me a shipping label and the revolver is on it's way to New Hampshire. I wrote a detailed letter to the Service Manager and hope that they will take care of this issue.
I have 10/22 and LCP and never complained about Ruger products before. Just before I purchased GP100, I was hesitating between GP100 and S&W 686, but pulled a trigger on GP100 Talo, because I liked Novak rear sight, hawkeye finish and really did not care for S&W internal lock.
I hope that they will replace the gun...

Cossack17

Bearcat
WESHOOT2 said:
While I appreciate (yet do not understand) appearance issues, I judge the success of service or repair by its shooting.

To me, reliable accurate function is my criteria. I hope your serviced Ruger excells in these.
WESHOOT2,
I certainly understand and respect your opinion, but then let me ask you:
"Why do they run limited Talo edition revolvers and charge premium price for it?"
Reliable accurate function is the same as a basic GP100, so what is a point?
I don't mean to start a debate, just trying to explain my position too.

Cossack17

Bearcat
Boge said:
Before I called Ruger I would try some other .357 ammo. The ammo cos. as of late are on 24/7 operation & QC has dropped. Find a friend who has some .357 ammo or just buy a box of 20. You'll use them one way or another in the future. After all, if it is the ammo you wouldn't want Ruger to mark "knucklehead" next to your serial # in the Cust. Serv. database. :lol: :wink:
After all this development (on May 25th) it appears that I am not a "Knucklehead" after all, but it still does not make me happy at this point :D

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I am not in dissent with YOUR desire for a 'nice-looking gun'.

I speak for myself on this issue. Like my car(s), I only care about performance. When I started with handguns in 1976, I DID care (more) about appearance, fashioning custom wood stocks for my first Security Six, and polishing its outsides, etc.
As I changed over the years, appearance fell off my personal criteria-list. I learned for me that the reliable accurate function of my personal protection tools was what mattered most.

I recognize that others own their guns for different reasons than mine. But, if it was really ugly, yet performed beyond expectation in your hand, would you care?
My answer: "Only if it's for hanging on the wall for display".

I don't own a barbeque gun, either :mrgreen:
I'm odd.

Cossack17

Bearcat
WESHOOT2 said:
I am not in dissent with YOUR desire for a 'nice-looking gun'.

I speak for myself on this issue. Like my car(s), I only care about performance. When I started with handguns in 1976, I DID care (more) about appearance, fashioning custom wood stocks for my first Security Six, and polishing its outsides, etc.
As I changed over the years, appearance fell off my personal criteria-list. I learned for me that the reliable accurate function of my personal protection tools was what mattered most.

I recognize that others own their guns for different reasons than mine. But, if it was really ugly, yet performed beyond expectation in your hand, would you care?
My answer: "Only if it's for hanging on the wall for display".

I don't own a barbeque gun, either :mrgreen:
I'm odd.
WESHOOT2,
I had a good laugh, when you mentioned cars, and YES, my 4Runner is all tricked out and shiny.
And when I hunt in Maine with my Steyr/Swarovski set up, another guy with his beat up Remington pump kills a deer as well dead as me.
In certain things we are different, but I am sure that we have lots in common too. Like going to the shooting range and having a cold beer at BBQ. And that's a beauty of this world :D

Cossack17

Bearcat
Glad to report that Ruger Customer Service Representative called me today and they will be replacing my NIB firearm with another NIB Talo GP100.
Even in this busy times (for all firearm manufacturers), they made a decision to put me as a customer first.
In the past, I worked for eight years for Apple Inc. and know that the manufacturing defects could happened, but the attitude towards THE CUSTOMER can protect the reputation of the company and bring more business as a result.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
Cossack17,
It's good to hear that it's going to turn out good for you. I'm glad that the folks at Ruger didn't let you down

Cossack17

Bearcat
shoot-n-iron said:
I was hoping to get to buy the gun for cheap...
I like the spirit of your entrepreneurship, but my GP100 is a keeper, LOL
Cannot wait to take it to the range!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I am dissapointed that no pictures ever got posted of the original defect, the damaged return, or other details.

Hope the replacement revolver is 100%, but please post a pic to show your bretheren what to be dissatisfied with should someone else encounter such a problem!

Firenailer

Bearcat
I just got off the phone with Ruger about this exact problem. The Rep said to only use US Ammo meeting SAAMI standards. I told him I've had the problem with US made Fiocchi and Winchester as well as Foreign P.M.C.

I've also used foreign Magtech which worked fine. If I load the ammo that won't work in this GP into an old Smith snubby I have it all shoots fine.

The real trouble is that right now you can't get the same ammo twice and I usually buy in bulk when it is available so I don't have to go looking every time I go to the range. Right now ive got 950 rounds of PMC Im going to have to sell somewhere. They just aren't going to let me try a box in the store to see if it will work before I buy.

Hopefully they will have an answer after they take a look at it. Did the OP's gun work better after he got it back?

Cossack17

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
I am dissapointed that no pictures ever got posted of the original defect, the damaged return, or other details.

Hope the replacement revolver is 100%, but please post a pic to show your bretheren what to be dissatisfied with should someone else encounter such a problem!
My mistake, just posted picture with Speers Golddots loaded in my original Talo Ruger GP100.
According to Ruger, it will take couple of weeks to get a replacement revolver back to me. I do not have any problems with waiting. I know that they are very busy with new orders.

Cossack17

Bearcat
Firenailer said:
I just got off the phone with Ruger about this exact problem. The Rep said to only use US Ammo meeting SAAMI standards. I told him I've had the problem with US made Fiocchi and Winchester as well as Foreign P.M.C.

I've also used foreign Magtech which worked fine. If I load the ammo that won't work in this GP into an old Smith snubby I have it all shoots fine.

The real trouble is that right now you can't get the same ammo twice and I usually buy in bulk when it is available so I don't have to go looking every time I go to the range. Right now ive got 950 rounds of PMC Im going to have to sell somewhere. They just aren't going to let me try a box in the store to see if it will work before I buy.

Hopefully they will have an answer after they take a look at it. Did the OP's gun work better after he got it back?

I was able to load Speer Golddots in repaired GP100, but did not shoot it because my "former" NIB gun had damaged finish after the repair. Now I am waiting for another GP100 from Ruger.
I am sure that Speer GoldDot are up to SAAMI specs. It's a top notch ammo.

Firenailer

Bearcat
Thanks, good luck with the new revolver! I'm a fan of ruger products and hope that this works out, I really like shooting my 5" GP, but this ammo deal is worrying me. I've never had a revolver machined so closely it wouldn't accept an established manufacturers bullet no matter who made it.

The whole thing seems a little strange.

Cossack17

Bearcat
Firenailer said:
Thanks, good luck with the new revolver! I'm a fan of ruger products and hope that this works out, I really like shooting my 5" GP, but this ammo deal is worrying me. I've never had a revolver machined so closely it wouldn't accept an established manufacturers bullet no matter who made it.

The whole thing seems a little strange.
Firenailer,
Did you send your GP100 for repair?

Firenailer

Bearcat
I did, haven't heard from them yet but I did just get a UPS notice so it may be on the way back. I'll update later in the week.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

A

Anonymous

Jimbo357mag said:
Once again I am disappointed. This time with Ruger customer service.

I've been extremely disappointed with my encounter with Ruger customer "service".

I sent a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle back to the factory, because ammo wasn't feeding and ejecting properly. They kept it for weeks. They sent it back in a nice pretty new box and a manual and a "repaired" note. I'd sent the gun in with a brand new Ruger factory 30-round magazine. The magazine they returned with the gun was not a new magazine, it had dings on it and the finish scratched. And for some reason, they'd wrapped it with that blue painter's tape! It looked like crap. Oh, and the gun was not repaired. It was doing the same thing. I traded the gun at a LGS that had sold it to me, and sold the five factory new 30-round mags I'd ordered from Ruger. No idea what happened to the rifle. Melted down for scrap for all I care.

Cossack17

Bearcat
I received a new Talo GP100 today. Brand new revolver, all ammo loads 100%. I am one happy customer and looking forward to adding more Ruger products to "list to buy". Actually I have 22/45 on my mind for now.

pingman274

Bearcat
I bought a brand new Talo black GP100 and took it out with some PMC .357 and had the same issue. I could not get it to cycle with the PMC. Same picture basically posted. It appears to be two or three of the cylinders with slightly less depth. 38's of course cycled fine.

I guess I will be calling Ruger also. What's the deal, my 10 year old stainless shoots everything...

Latest posts