gp 100 ruger papers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moses

Bearcat
I traded for a gp 100 over the weekend and would like to get some history on it.
It is a double action only. According to marking on the gun it was made for an out of
country contract and then imported back into the U.S.
thanx
Moses

hittman

Staff member
A picture would help us identify it, if you can do that.

Otherwise we'll ask for things like .....

Caliber?
Finish?
Barrel length?
Full or half lug?
Which grips?
What are the markings?
Fixed or adjustable sites?
Serial number?

moses

Bearcat
Can't do pictures right now.
Caliber 357
Finish brushed stainless
Barrel length 4"
half lug
rubber grips with wood inserts
fixed sights
sn. 172-xx791
double action only

hittman

Staff member
What are the markings? An importers name stamp? A law enforcement agency name? A "star" stamped on the crane? Something else?

Being a CAI it probably is one that went to Canada (possibly RCMP) and then they changed guns and sold them as surplus. CAI buys A LOT of these type of guns.

I don't have my RENE Ruger Reference with me to run the s/n to see what it says.

hittman

Staff member
GPs with the 172-perfix were made from '89 to '93. The two xx numbers would narrow it down.

moses

Bearcat
Sn 172-63791
I have not seen a double action only Ln a gp 100 so I am interested in it's origin. I thought it
might be something special.
Moses

323ssplt

Bearcat
moses said:
Sn 172-63791
I have not seen a double action only Ln a gp 100 so I am interested in it's origin. I thought it
might be something special.
Moses
What you have is a great revolver. I have one too, and as a matter of fact it's serial number is 15 behind yours, 63806 vs 63791

Mine came with a Safariland holster, a speed loader and pouch. I was told by a Ruger Rep that these were foreign police contract revolvers, but he couldn't remember which country ordered them, though he thought it was European.

quicksdraw

Bearcat
I am no expert but i would bet my lunch money it came from Canada , I have seen DAO gp100s with various barrel lengths for sale . I did a quick check of sold items on Gun broker and found that a couple of them have sold on there , I was a bit shocked that they sold for just $425

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I think most people are looking for shooters rather than collectors. DAO would kill it for me although a collector may treasure it. There is just no accounting for taste in guns.

eveled

Hawkeye
A DAO fixed sight GP100 would suit me just fine. I never use the hammer on a double action gun. I have always thought that fixed sight revolvers should be DAO, and adjustable sight ones could go either way. Ed