Goodbye, GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Sold my 3" GP yesterday. Didn't carry it anymore (bought it as a first gun for carry, but the thing is just as big as a fullsize Glock22 or P89, while being thicker and heavier) and the 3" barrel with fixed sights is no good for range use.
Will use the money to get a G27 for summer carry, but someday later I'll be looking for a new revolver. This time a long-barreled one. Not sure which should I choose (of course if even I end up having enough money). I planned GP100 6", but I've heard many times it's sort of barrel-heavy, unballanced and some people who love the 3" or 4" model just hate this one. What other .357s would you recommend?
Wouldn't mind upgrading to a bigger caliber revolver either, such as .44Magnum. Redhawk looks great, SW629 as well. How do these two compare in quality and accuracy?

Also might plan to buy a lever gun in the future, would be nice to have the same caliber for both. I know there are .357 lever-actions, but a friend who had one told me the thin .357 rounds are quite uncomfortable to load. Any opinion on that?
Thanks

Boge

Single-Sixer
I have a GP100 3" and I agree that in today's urban environment it is a poor choice for self defense. Not due to cal., but rather capacity. I can get the same horsepower (125 gr. defensive load) in a .357 SIG with 13 shots. If I were in a rural area in the middle of nowhere I would have no problem carrying the GP100, however faced with the possibility of several goblins in an urban area and all alone it just makes sense to have more capacity. Also, I live 5 mins. from the Mexican Border and when I venture into the desert I am usually armed to the teeth with a high cap semi-auto and a revolver backup with plenty of spare mags & speed strips and there are days I wonder if even that is enough to be frank.

The revolver ruled for approx. 150 yrs., and I love mine dearly, but it's time has passed as a primary self defense weapon in a modern fluid gunfight. Here's a great reason why:

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Nowata

Single-Sixer
I'll not comment on the carry gun, to each his own(I carry a Taurus 44compact or a Ruger Bisley 5.5in. in .44, crossdraw). I reload for the .357. 38sp.-level loads, as well as .357mag. loads can be loaded in .357 cases...so basically bunny-phart to deer-level(185gr. at 1475fps) from the same case. The cases seem plenty strong to me!!

WESHOOT2

Hunter
The Redhawk will withstand heavier loads longer.

Accuracy will be based soley on the specific example in hand.

Trigger pull will be personal preference (like me; I prefer the DA pull of the Redhawk vs the S&W).

Knecht

Single-Sixer
I have no complaints about GPs fit in hand, that's fine. I sold mine with the original rubber-wood grip and kept a Hogue rubber grip which I like a lot (all Hogue grips I have are awesome, wish they made one for vz.58 as well).
Don't have much revolver experience, aside that GP I only have Hi-Standard Longhorn and also shot my Dad's Colt Detective Special couple times. Also couple shot from some SW light-framed 5-shot pocket .38Spec...and exactly two rounds of .500SW Magnum.
Wouldn't mind buying .357 again, as I have realoading stuff for it.
On the other hand, .44 is kind of cool as well

Cary

Single-Sixer
I have a Winchester M94AE Trapper levergun, GP100 6" barrel, and S&W M620 4" barrel all in 357 mag. I punch paper and plink but no hunting so the 357 mag does the job for my use. The levergun is a lot of fun to shoot in 357 mag and the 16" barrel on it gets more performance out of the 357 mag round. I have a scope on my GP100 and have been playing around shooting at 100 yard targets with it. I'm surprised at how accurate the gun is at 100 yards. At that range I shoot it using a rest. The S&W M620 is my packing gun when I hike in the mountains.
Cary

recoil

Bearcat
Everyone has their own opinion/reason for their carry gun. I do carry my GP100 on occasion, but usually carry my SR9.

As far as a large caliber revolver, I would recommend a long look at the Redhawk, it's a tough and well made gun with great pointability and a smooth trigger...IMHO

Rclark

Hunter
Everyone has their own opinion/reason for their carry gun.
Boy isn't that the truth.... I carry my little .44Special CA Bulldog.... I think it is more than enough 'fire power' for my needs. Not that I don't mind the Bulldog, but it would be nice if Ruger came out with a 'similar' sized revolver in .44 Special or even .45 Colt. Big and slow is the way to go (over small, fast, and 10 times louder if .357).

As for a large caliber revolver, I would look at a nice SA Blackhawk. Either .44Spec, .44Mag, or .45 Colt/.45 ACP. My preferred caliber is of course .45 Colt, but the .44Spec medium frame flattops are very good too. Either 5 1/2" or 4 5/8". Everyone should have at least one. Careful though as they are addicting. Won't comment on the (Super) Redhawks as I sold mine. Never used it much was the reason. When I went to pick a gun from the safe to go into the woods, fishing, hunting, or to the range, the Super Redhawk always was the 'last' pick... so why keep it around. The Redhawk is a bit smaller though (my dad has one), but still not my cup of tea.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Knecht said:
...Also might plan to buy a lever gun in the future, would be nice to have the same caliber for both. I know there are .357 lever-actions, but a friend who had one told me the thin .357 rounds are quite uncomfortable to load. Any opinion on that?
Thanks

I load for a S&W Model 28, New Model Blackhawk, and Rossie Model 92. Nothing "uncomfortable" to me about loading 357 Mag.

I will say that if your shellholder has slop in it (excessive wiggle room holding the case) and you get in a hurry, the 357 has more of a tendency to be misaligned (due to slight tipping) with the expander. Never had an issue with a sizing, seating, or crimping die in that regard. I use a turret press and can't speak to a progressive. FOr me, it's a matter of a good shellholder and not rushing things.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Sorry, that was a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about reloading the ammo, ment loading the lever gun with .357s

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Knecht said:
Sorry, that was a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about reloading the ammo, ment loading the lever gun with .357s
I have both a 357mag and a 44mag levergun. With Regular loads the 44mag can put a hurt on your shoulder after a while. No problems with the 357mag. Of course downloading is possible with either one. :D :D

Boge said:
I have a GP100 3" and I agree that in today's urban environment it is a poor choice for self defense. Not due to cal., but rather capacity. I can get the same horsepower (125 gr. defensive load) in a .357 SIG with 13 shots. If I were in a rural area in the middle of nowhere I would have no problem carrying the GP100, however faced with the possibility of several goblins in an urban area and all alone it just makes sense to have more capacity. Also, I live 5 mins. from the Mexican Border and when I venture into the desert I am usually armed to the teeth with a high cap semi-auto and a revolver backup with plenty of spare mags & speed strips and there are days I wonder if even that is enough to be frank.

The revolver ruled for approx. 150 yrs., and I love mine dearly, but it's time has passed as a primary self defense weapon in a modern fluid gunfight. Here's a great reason why:

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/
Boge, at present I also live within a few minutes of the Mexican border. As with any environment that may be hostile (there are cougar, pecaries, assorted creepy crawlers with venom) I watch where I put hands and feet, and my head on a swivel (just like downtown Chicago). I carry an sp-101 with 15 xtra rounds, plus a .380 backup with 14 rounds- a total of 34 rounds. I have never used a one, while hiking(that includes Cali and Ak.). I am a civilian, and should someone shoot at me I am not beyond skulking away. If I get cornered, I'll fight. So far my tactics have worked to keep me from having to use any rounds. On the other hand if I was a LEO or Border Patrol, I'd gear up just like the military with 160-200 rounds.
I had a Gp-100 4 inch barrel, and foolishly sold it. With my young eyes I was able to shoot well with it out to 100 yds., qualified with a 95% on the Sheriff's Dept range. The Redhawk is a heavy gun but a good trigger. S&W 629 is lighter though not as robust, with a good trigger. If you shoot heavy .44 magnum loads then the Redhawk is for you. Lighter loads then the 629. I have a Rossi Puma in .44 mag, and enjoy it. It is an 1892 Winchester design. If you get the Rossi there are some upgrades you can do to it to make it smoother. The Rossi also comes in .357. Good luck in your quest.
gramps

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Knecht said:

I have a Rossi Model 92 in 357 and large hands (I wear an XL glove). I use the tip on my pinky to get the last round in the magazine. Not uncomfortable.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. Will see what I get...should give it some more brain-time before I buy another revolver. I did shop much more impulsively in the past and ended up selling some of the stuff, with losses of course.

k22fan

Blackhawk
.357 vs. .44 mag is your big decision to make first. As Jimbo357mag already posted, light weight .44 mag lever actions kick hard with standard cartridges. Because they're relatively short range rifles it's common for people to put inexpensive scopes on them only to have the recoil jar the reticle loose. Also from my sampling of .357 and .44 mag lever actions the .357s group tighter at 100 yards. If you go with a .44 mag revolver it's best to buy the model with a grip that You find comfortable. Opinions on which model is comfortable are all over the map.

To keep the recoil down a little you could split the difference. Consider .41 mag.

Joe S.

Hunter
i load my marlin levergun and leave the last 1/4" or so of the case sticking out of the loading gate and push it home with the next round. when i load the last round, i push it in, and it clicks in no sweat. doesnt bother me a bit, and i have fat fingers...

Brasso3

Bearcat
I agree that it is hard to conceal a GP100. I actually prefer a revolver to a semi in a CC role, as far as shoot-ability goes. But right now I carry a Springfield XDS in .45acp. Not because it has more rounds, as it only holds 5+1, but because it's just easier to conceal. If concealing it wasn't an issue, I'd carry a revolver.

Joe S. said:
i load my marlin levergun and leave the last 1/4" or so of the case sticking out of the loading gate and push it home with the next round. when i load the last round, i push it in, and it clicks in no sweat. doesnt bother me a bit, and i have fat fingers...

I have a Marlin 1894 44 Mag, and I use my pinky for that last round. It's not that my index finger is too big, it just feels like any finger is going to be stuck in there sometime if I to . If it does, I'd prefer to get my pinky to get munged rather than my trigger finger.

I REALLY like the 44 Mag cartridge. My Marlin, 4" Redhawk, 7.5" Super Redhawk and Blackhawk are like a set made in heaven.

silverback

Blackhawk
I have a rossi m92 357 with 20 inch barrel. get "steves dvd" will get you one smooth easy loading rifle. light weight easy to shoulder and accurate. I enjoy the 20 inch over the 16 JMHO. your friend probably needs to cut the mag tube spring about two or three bullet lengths and he will see a difference. all is explained in the dvd.

http://stevesgunz.com/

Cal44

Bearcat
k22fan said:
.357 vs. .44 mag is your big decision to make first. As Jimbo357mag already posted, light weight .44 mag lever actions kick hard with standard cartridges. Because they're relatively short range rifles it's common for people to put inexpensive scopes on them only to have the recoil jar the reticle loose. Also from my sampling of .357 and .44 mag lever actions the .357s group tighter at 100 yards. If you go with a .44 mag revolver it's best to buy the model with a grip that You find comfortable. Opinions on which model is comfortable are all over the map.

To keep the recoil down a little you could split the difference. Consider .41 mag.

I have a Marlin 1894 level action in 44 mag, and S&W 629 ported with 2.5" barrel, and a 5 1/2 " Super Blackhawk.

I like them all, most of the time I shoot 44 Specials.

With 44 Special all three are fluffy kittens cats.

Dave