GECO .357 Magnum - Wiley Clapp GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NJITMetal

Bearcat
Has anyone tried GECO brand .357 in their GP100(spefically a wiley clapp edition)?
I fired about half a box of this ammo and every single spent case was sticking. This was the guns first outing ever, with only 2-3 cylinders of .38s prior to these rounds. It seems unlikely that less than 20 rounds of 38 made enough crud to make all these 357 rounds stick. Any other thoughts? Also seems like excessive leading to me compared to my other gp100 after sessions with more rounds fired.

Edit to add: I have never used this ammo prior nor did I have my other gp with me to try the ammo in.

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
I was unaware that brand was still available. It always seemed to be "bargain basement" ammo to me. I won't even reload cases from them.
I wouldn't worry about the revolver being the issue until you've had the opportunity to fire some higher quality ammo through it.

NJITMetal

Bearcat
Rainy Day Shooter said:
I was unaware that brand was still available. It always seemed to be "bargain basement" ammo to me. I won't even reload cases from them.
I wouldn't worry about the revolver being the issue until you've had the opportunity to fire some higher quality ammo through it.
I got some sellier and bellot to try next time out. I have used this in my 6" GP in the past with no issues.
I don't consider GECO budget or crappy but I could be wrong. I've shot lots of it in 9mm with good results.

This is a link to ammo I used

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ARU357FMJ158

gscrasher

Bearcat
Can't comment on GECO specifically, but if the brass is thinner or softer, that could cause more expansion on firing and a tendency to resist extraction.

bradepb

Bearcat
I recently bought 2 boxes of Geco .357 and tried it in my fairly new SP101. The cases dropped in freely but stuck badly after being fired, I only tried 10 rounds before giving up and I am now planning on trying them in my older GP100 to see if they work any better. Other than the baldy stuck cases they fired well and seem to be loaded pretty hot.

areslagae

Bearcat
Can't comment on the sticking issue but GECO is generally not considered budget ammo. It is quite popular here in Europe and is by many considered as "better than most US brands". It is manufactured by RUAG Ammotec which also manufactures RWS and Norma.

http://geco-munition.de/en/geco-world/ruag.html

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Funny this should come up. I just bought some from the SG Ammo website. Did not shoot it yet. Was considering picking up some of the Geco 38 Sp next. Now, not so sure. Maybe some others will weigh in on this brand.

Flatbush

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This is probably not what many would do but I have found to stop cases from sticking, with new guns, it is sometimes necessary to lube the chambers with a slightly oiled patch before shooting. After the gun gets broken in, clean and then wipe with a dry patch, is all that is needed. Something about getting the metal conditioned. If cases continue to stick, look at how smooth the chambers are. They might need honing. :D

NJITMetal

Bearcat
bradepb said:
I recently bought 2 boxes of Geco .357 and tried it in my fairly new SP101. The cases dropped in freely but stuck badly after being fired, I only tried 10 rounds before giving up and I am now planning on trying them in my older GP100 to see if they work any better. Other than the baldy stuck cases they fired well and seem to be loaded pretty hot.
Thanks for chiming in... Sounds 100% like my experience.
I will try in my other GP next time I get out.