From 1911 to 345

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sgt405

Bearcat
Thoughts and opinions on why I like the 345.
I have been in law enforcement since 1975 and first carried wheelguns but when I carried a semi it has always been a 1911. Fit my hand the best, shot it better than anything else. Felt like an extension of my hand. Tried and carried others from time to time but nothing seemed to be the equal of my tried and true 1911s. Until now!

I came across another single stack 45, thin grip that balanced true in my hand just like my 1911s. It points naturally(at least for me) and is accurate as I can be. It's light weight is a plus as is double action. While I do like the one constant single pull of a 1911 I have come to realize in my years that the small difference in pull weight of triggers is a non factor.

I can live without the "loaded chamber" bar and key lock but gotta take the bad with the good. Overall I really like the feel, balance and pointability of the gun.

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your opinions Sgt. You made my night. With all of the hype last night and subsiquent disappointment with Rugers "Big Announcement" today, it was good to see your post. I've been thinking about getting a 1911 in .45 but I prefer a double action so maybe a 345 is something I should be looking at. Thanks again.

Will

GDSimms

Bearcat
Sgt405 said:
I have been in law enforcement since 1975 and first carried wheelguns but when I carried a semi it has always been a 1911. Fit my hand the best, shot it better than anything else. Felt like an extension of my hand. Tried and carried others from time to time but nothing seemed to be the equal of my tried and true 1911s. Until now!

I came across another single stack 45, thin grip that balanced true in my hand just like my 1911s. It points naturally(at least for me) and is accurate as I can be. It's light weight is a plus as is double action. While I do like the one constant single pull of a 1911 I have come to realize in my years that the small difference in pull weight of triggers is a non factor.

I can live without the "loaded chamber" bar and key lock but gotta take the bad with the good. Overall I really like the feel, balance and pointability of the gun.
I went from a KP345 to a Kimber SIS Pro which is a great gun. But I don't shoot the Kimber any better than I did the Ruger and the 345 sucked up the felt recoil much better. I miss my KP345 and who knows, one of these days, I may just have to pick another one up. It's a great gun!

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
All I can say is I have to agree!
IM001304.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
The 345 is the ONLY Ruger CF semiauto pistol that comes anywhere close to feeling right to my hand. Reminds me a good deal of a LW Commander.

I might have to purchase one someday.

9x19

Hunter
I'm really fond of my KP345 as well. It has proven both accurate and reliable.

RKP345DPR.jpg

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I knew virtually nothing about this pistol when I first encountered it...wasn't even a member of Ruger Forum yet. I did know that Ruger was known for making quality, tough firearms...that was it.

The first thing I noticed on picking it up was immediately how well it fit my hand. I decided to get it and have never regretted it. It is such an accurate shooter right from the box.

Soon after discovered and joined the Ruger Forum, continuing to learn more about it and other models. I have no issue with having a loaded chamber indicator...in fact I kind of prefer it, but do believe it did not need to stick up as high as it does...nor say "Loaded" on it. Ruger let their lawyers have too much input on that one.

With approx. 450 rounds fired, have never had a fail to fire. Only had a couple of fail to feed on last round. Disassembled the magazines, cleaned internally, slightly polished the feed ramp and all is fine since.

I wouldn't trade it nor sell it for anything.

Double Vision

Bearcat
I have a P345 and like the feel and quality of it, as with my other Rugers.
However at the first trip to the range with it, I put 50 rounds through it and shot poorly. I'm hoping for improvement on my next trip.

The Highlander

Bearcat
I like the looks of the 345, and the ergonomics are good for my average to small hands. I never bought one because I don't like the slide mounted decocking lever, and I don't think a DAO is available. I also own a SIG P220 in .45, so unless I could get a smoking deal on a 345, or they come up with a DAO, I probably will not own one.

When they came out with the SR9, the grip is very similar, feels the best of any of my high-cap 9's. Actually feels like a LW Commander to me. I LOVE my SR9.

Sgt405

Bearcat
Swampbilly said:
I knew virtually nothing about this pistol when I first encountered it...wasn't even a member of Ruger Forum yet. I did know that Ruger was known for making quality, tough firearms...that was it.

I wouldn't trade it nor sell it for anything.

What he said!

It now resides in a place of honor on my belt. 'nough said.

ps-800 ounds in qualification and practice, no malfuctions. Luv this gun. I can hear my 1911s crying in the safe!

Spike12

Bearcat
I had one and it ALWAYS worked though about 1000 rounds. the only reason I traded it away was a growing distain for plastic frames.

Not that there is any functional problem with them, they have a lot to offer, I just didn't like the flat sides of 345's grip surfaces and since it was all cast in there wasn't much I could do about it. The gun is built to be hidden vs. comfortable so the flat-ness is required and makes sense.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
Sgt405 said:

I agree with your observations. I too have the 345 and my 1911s. But, have you every tried a Springfield XD. I got one on a lark and as a ( gotta go to work gun) the XD is a great piece.

ClayinVA

Bearcat
I just picked up a used P345 from a gun show today for $365. It has some wear, but the dealer I bought it from said they had checked it out and it was in good condition. No information on the age or round count. Is that a reasonable deal?

It was a great fit in my hand; better than my P95.

Blizzard

Bearcat
For years I had a 1911. I like the feel of my P345 much more. I thinlk it is my favorite pistol.

Sgt405

Bearcat
Revolvertime
I did in fact have an XD9Tactical some years ago. I had my primary go down during a competition and purchased it to complete the weeklong event. While a good gun it had some deficiencies I could not live with as a duty gun. It was extremely accurate though.

flgolfer29

Bearcat
I just received a P345 from my local ffl. I was attracted to it due to the similarities to the SR 9 (grip ergonomics). It was advertised on Gunbroker as a dealer demo. The pistol cleaned up nicely and while I can tell it has been handled, it probably hasn't had more than a box of ammo run through it.

I too have a 1911 and enjoy shooting it due to it's great trigger and performance.

Currently, rehabbing from shoulder surgery (3rd time) and probably will not be able to shoot the P345 for another couple of weeks or so. However, I am itching to give it a try.

joe

pzlehr

Bearcat
It's good to hear good reports of the Ruger 45. I was thinking of getting a commander size 1911 and have both full size and officers. But I recently bought a SR9 and SR9c and they are good enough that I sold a couple of my Glocks and will carry the SR9. I have handled the Ruger 45 and I thought it felt much like the SR9. It's a nice size and points well, so now after reading these posts I think I will forego the 1911 and get the P345. I have a number of Rugers and they have all been very good firearms.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Rumor has it that Ruger might be releasing a 1911 this year to commemorate the centennial of it... p345 is still a great gun, but just in case you hadn't heard

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
The P-345 in my opinion, happens to be Ruger's best efforts in a semiauto in .45ACP caliber. While it lacks the heritage of the legendary 1911, it remains a viable alternative. Much can be said of the trigger of the 1911 as being superior to all other semiautos. And that statement, can be argued. But as an implement for which it was constructed, I rate the P-345 as good as any handgun in its class. I give the P-345 high marks for its lighter weight, and reliablity over the 1911. And because of these two factors, I would rate it over the 1911.

A.W.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
I really hope Ruger comes out with a 1911 this year. I plan on buying a 1911 this year and so far Smith and Wesson is what I have my sights on. Only Ruger can change my decision on that.