I guess my Max 9 will be going back to Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

did this happen at Contenders?

I brought my Max 9. I was just going to write a review about how great it performs.

BUT! When I bought mine, I had the same thing happen. I bought it, took it out and yep, slide locked open with rounds still in the mag. It happened about two or three times per mag.

So I took it out again to the range, another day, different ammo to make sure. The problem got worse.

So I called Ruger and at first it was like they didn't believe me. I was nice and pleasant. While on the phone, the tech had me disassemble the gun for some reason. I think he thought when I was shooting I was touching the mag release lever.

Anyway, long story short is, i finally got him to believe me and then he sent me a label. They only had the gun for a day. Total turn around time was about 8 days. They said they replaced a spring and the mag release. Not very much.

Now? 100%. And incredibly accurate.

I did the five shot steel plates there at Contender's range. All except the furthest plate was an easy hit. And I could get the furthest plate but had to concentrate.

I did have one round not fire. Ficcoci (spelling) ammo. The round had a clear and deep firing pin strike, but it didn't go off.

I think it was a bad round.

They are great pistols. And I've probably put 200 rounds through it without a problem (except the one described above.)

Good luck!

…continued…..

In fact, I'm going to order one of those improved rear sights they have on shop Ruger.

Ron had his Max 9 with an Sig Romeo red dot mounted. They look really nice with those attached.

It's a great pistol. Feels really good in the hand with the mag that has the pinky finger extension.

I'm very happy with mine. But I was worried at first. Hittman, made a comment when I originally posted about it and he made me go out and buy a Glock 17. Which is also great. But it isn't as small as the Max 9. Just holds more ammo…

Let us know what happens when you call Ruger. This is a known problem if you search Ruger Max 9 issues. I'm curious if they believe you or not.

You have to call the Prescott location.

did this happen at Contenders?

I brought my Max 9. I was just going to write a review about how great it performs.

BUT! When I bought mine, I had the same thing happen. I bought it, took it out and yep, slide locked open with rounds still in the mag. It happened about two or three times per mag.

So I took it out again to the range, another day, different ammo to make sure. The problem got worse.

So I called Ruger and at first it was like they didn't believe me. I was nice and pleasant. While on the phone, the tech had me disassemble the gun for some reason. I think he thought when I was shooting I was touching the mag release lever.

Anyway, long story short is, i finally got him to believe me and then he sent me a label. They only had the gun for a day. Total turn around time was about 8 days. They said they replaced a spring and the mag release. Not very much.

Now? 100%. And incredibly accurate.

I did the five shot steel plates there at Contender's range. All except the furthest plate was an easy hit. And I could get the furthest plate but had to concentrate.

I did have one round not fire. Ficcoci (spelling) ammo. The round had a clear and deep firing pin strike, but it didn't go off.

I think it was a bad round.

They are great pistols. And I've probably put 200 rounds through it without a problem (except the one described above.)

Good luck!
Yes. I was running the 5 plate drill. It fired and ejected everything but this was the first time I've had it this bad. Usually it's a 1-2% issue. Now I don't trust it. I might get around to contacting them tomorrow. I'll take it apart tomorrow. I might have some piano wire but I might let them try and fix it. I have a Romeo on my Tanfoglio. I have a Crimson Trace Rad Micro Pro on my Max 9. I get 2" rested groups @25yds with 124 V Crowns.

Last edited:

Mike J

Hunter
I pulled the fcg and the spring had slipped off. I put everything back together and it's working now. If I run across any piano wire I'll probably make something better.
Maybe if you were to call Ruger & ask for a spring they would send it to you without you having to ship in your pistol. It might work better until you can round up some piano wire.

Latest posts