Frankenvolver or a rare bird?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
"BearBio, you're arguing just to argue. You're obviously cherry-picking to produce an argument because of personal issues. Your analogy is REALLY reaching and easily debunked but I'm not going to indulge you.

Five minutes with a screwdriver swapping out two parts does not a custom gun make. My comment about it was not intended to call anyone out or to induce a brawl. Lighten up. :roll:"

You have a reputation for arguing against the majority==here and on other forums (How many you been kicked off of now?) Simply put, the dictionary disagrees with your "definition". If ten minutes is insufficient to make a "custom gun", is 15 minutes enough? 60 minutes? 5 days, 2 weeks? Oh, Mighty One, what fits YOUR criteria? Please inform us lowly mortals!

"Now, my 1983 S-10 would be considered a "custom" and very little about it is "bolt-on". Triangulated four link, coilover suspension, narrowed 3/4-ton axles and a swapped-in V8 with EFI constitute a lot more than simple wrench turning."

Again, definitions vary...In my family (who raced bikes, quarter and full midgets) and made "custom" bikes in the 50's and 60's, and designed a car that held the world speed record (Challenger, piloted by Mickey Thompson, 406.6 mph at Bonneville), managed Lions Drag Strip, and pit chief at Indy 500 for Mickey Thompson, your car isn't "custom". You like to drop names so: I grew up at family BBQ's with Mickey, Tommy Ivo, "Cha Cha" and others. Met George Barris and Big Daddy Roth as a teenager. Several fishing trips with Mickey and Ed Iskenderian and their boys. What you did to your truck would be a Sunday afternoon job for them! (If any of them would even work on an S-10!). Rarely was there NOT a funny car or rail in the garage!

PS: My uncle tuned four blower-driven Chrysler hemi's, each hooked up to a separate transmission and drive shaft. My brother was in the first team Honda taught in the U.S. to tune 4-banger bikes. My cousin had a Stroppe Bronco built by Bill himself as her graduation present!

Now, can we stop seeing who can pee higher on the tree and get back to admiring the OP's gun. He likes it whether "custom" (By definition in the dictionary) or not (as per YOU!).

CraigC

Hawkeye
You're making a mountain out of a molehill with no intent but to disparage me personally. I don't get knocked off of forums because I don't make it personal, like you do, every time. This could have been a real civil debate about what constitutes a "custom gun" but you took it straight to the gutter with comments like your condescending S-10 "Sunday afternoon" jab. Which is not only off-topic but woefully inaccurate and simply a vain attempt to insult. Nothing about my first post warranted this kind of response.

And it's a great sixgun I'd be proud to own. It's just not what I, or most informed people, would refer to as a "custom gun". But then, we don't refer to the friggin' dictionary either. There is a lot of technical jargon that does not make it into your average dictionary, does that mean they're not real words? Uh, no.

It is merely my opinion and it was shared as an opinion. Not as fact and not as a declaration. One shared by many others, some of which have been in print but nevertheless, nothing to get in an uproar about or sling personal insults over. :roll:

Ale-8(1) said:
The gun in question is what Bob Campbell termed a "screwdriver variation" . . . and a pretty nice one, at that.

:) :)
Yep and it's not a disparaging comment to say it's not "custom".

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
adjective
1.Made to order: custom suits.
2.Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.
I'm not an English major but that definition doesn't help you anyway.

CraigC said:
Ale-8(1) said:
The gun in question is what Bob Campbell termed a "screwdriver variation" . . . and a pretty nice one, at that. :) :)

Yep and it's not a disparaging comment to say it's not "custom".

Um . . . I'm not in that argument. But one man's "custom" is another man's "screwdriver variation". IMHO there are degrees of "custom". Semantics will get'cha every time. ;-)

preeb

Bearcat
I'm a custom guitar manufacturer and in my world custom means fitting or changing an otherwise standard production guitar or guitar feature to ones specific request.
It can be an entire guitar or just a neck size or special color... etc.
So if it is CUSTOMIZED to one's special needs it is a CUSTOM, right? (-;
And with respect to the OP subject I would like to ask you gentlemen, what kind of $ tag would you put on it?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm not 100% up on .44 flat-top values but would have no problem whatsoever with the $900 asking price. You're getting a $900 gun with $300 grips for free.

preeb

Bearcat
I'm not sure... All original clean 44 FT's sell for less than 900 without being refinished or having non original parts (-;

preeb

Bearcat
Just bought a 4 digit 58' on gun broker last week for $832.
Clean original scarce sub-group Type 2a... (and I usually buy them cheaper in gun shows)

pix147847756.jpg

pix313436897.jpg

pix295854847.jpg

And here's another early 44 FT (and no.. it is not the Anniversary model (-;) picked up last month

IMG_2719x.jpg

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
They are out there, I got this one early last year for $650, one owner...son sold off some of the guns his dad left so he could buy a couple fancy "Black Guns".
(all the shiny is all reflections not bluing loss, the hammer had some funk, it is a fine shooter)

preeb

Bearcat
CraigC said:
I reckon I don't pay enough attention to the .44's. I'm usually looking for .357's as conversion fodder.

What are you converting the .357 into? .45 FD?