Flat Top 44 6 1/2” Ser # 2XXX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Recently picked up the 44 Flat Top that I consider to be in 98% condition. The reason I am starting this thread is because I noticed the front side, or the ramp on the front side, is checkered reminding of the top strap on. S&W M 27. It is nicely done and definitely done by someone who knew what they were doing. Have never seen this before so my question is was this typical on early Flat Tops? Appreciate your input.….Louis

Sounds like a nice gun but I'd bet it was simply checkered to break any glare on or around the front sight,,,they were 'normally' ONLY cross hatched ( serrated ) across the top down slope of the blade......... a year earlier the 357 mag flatops front sight was a squiggly line affair but the old man felt it was costly ( time consuming) went with the serrations...........:rolleyes:

buffalo4star

Blackhawk
Dan…..appreciate your input. Will post a photo tomorrow. Neglected to say it is a 1957 44, serial # 22XX. It's locked up and too lazy to get up to get the last two numbers. Lou

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
Lou...I have quite a few 44 FTs from 56-60 and none of them have the modification you described. Sounds like a former owner wanted to break up the light on the front sight blade even more than what the serrations provided. I do have a Super Blackhawk from 1966 with the same modification on the hammer.

Bill

Latest posts