FINEST 9mm HANDGUN EVER MADE.....?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The only platform I've EVER touched off a 9mm round in is an OM Blackhawk BKH34X that gets used as a garbage disposal for any of that rimless stuff I happen to find at the range.

But I do own some 9mm guns that I like to show off now and then. Like these:

GF-92s-two-types.jpg

:D

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
mickeymouse said:
Tam 212 said:
Surprised the CZ-75 brigade hasn't checked in yet...... :mrgreen:
The CZ 75 is a nice gun.....The only thing about that CZ 75 model is that owners of one, never hold on to'em.
There are so many pre-owned 75's for sale......Just like the Glock 9mm models. A whole lot of pre-oned for sale.....Don't know why.

Perhaps it's because they were service pistols in a lot of (primarily Eastern Bloc) countries. Sort of how the market was flooded with trade-in/used police S&W 5906's for awhile?

ChuckS1

Bearcat
I have a pre-B CZ 75 that I bought in Germany back in 1987. While a nice gun, it took a Bar-Sto barrel to get it to shoot worth a hoot. Otherwise, it's a nice pistol, but not as nice as my T-series BHP.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
I will keep an eye out for the Sig 210 as it appears many people consider it in the elite league. Here are the two I shoot in IPSC. The Sig 226 as my duty pistol and the Smith Pro-Series for shooting standard. Both very comfortable, reliable and accurate.

IMGP3421-1.jpg

IMGP7030.jpg

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
weaselmeatgravy said:
The only platform I've EVER touched off a 9mm round in is an OM Blackhawk BKH34X that gets used as a garbage disposal for any of that rimless stuff I happen to find at the range.

But I do own some 9mm guns that I like to show off now and then. Like these:

GF-92s-two-types.jpg

:D

Bob,
I Really Like that pair! Congrats! They wouldn't be consecutive would they?
Terry

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
rbertalotto said:
I think the SIG P-210 would top the list if that's the standard. From all I've read and heard about it (never owned or shot one), it's simply in a class by itself.

This is a no brainer...........Unless you have ever held, operated and fired a Sig 210, you have zero reference for what is the best 9mm handgun.

I had one and sold it for WAY more than I paid to someone that simply had to have one here in Massachusetts where they are simply impossible to buy legally. They can not be transferred into the state if they weren't here before 1998. Mine was... :D

P1000136-vi.jpg

NewSIGP210rockpatchmag1.jpg

(we can also look to the Korth http://www.korthusa.com/pistol_en.htm but I've never handled one so I have no personal knowledge, but a $4,000+ pistol must be real nice)

Ok I did some research and have found 5 in a gun store here in Canada for about $2200 in very good used condition. They don't have the nice wooden grips like those pictured here. All seem to be in the A 150000 serial # range.

DB30

Blackhawk
I shoot the Glock 19 best in training sessions. For stress relieving pleasure shooting, the SIG M49 (P210 made for the Danes) is my favorite. For a service pistol, it has a great trigger and very accurate. In the looks department, my vote goes to the Hi Power.
DB30

cubrock

Blackhawk
DB30 said:
I shoot the Glock 19 best in training sessions. For stress relieving pleasure shooting, the SIG M49 (P210 made for the Danes) is my favorite. For a service pistol, it has a great trigger and very accurate. In the looks department, my vote goes to the Hi Power.
DB30

I had the chance to buy one of the Swiss military P210s several years ago, in the original military box. I had the money. The price was very good. For some reason, I put it back and walked away. One of my dumbest gun purchasing decisions ever!

I've not seen one of the Danish military pistols. That Swiss one was the only military 210 I've seen, too. People who own them, keep them.

DB30

Blackhawk
The American Rifleman from January '99 briefly explained that Swiss P-210s were adopted by the Danish Police in 1948 (M49 designation), the Danish Army in 1953 and the the Danish Border Guards in 1962. Some of these were imported into the U.S. in the late 90's. They could be had with either wood or plastic stocks. Mine is "HTK" stamped from the 1st order placed by the Reichspolizei . It has black plastic stocks, matt finished black aluminum frame and a blue steel slide that is now turning plum colored. I traded a Colt 9mm Commander and some cash for it at a gun show in Medina, OH in the Spring of 2000. DB30.

cubrock

Blackhawk
DB30 said:
The American Rifleman from January '99 briefly explained that Swiss P-210s were adopted by the Danish Police in 1948 (M49 designation), the Danish Army in 1953 and the the Danish Border Guards in 1962. Some of these were imported into the U.S. in the late 90's. They could be had with either wood or plastic stocks. Mine is "HTK" stamped from the 1st order placed by the Reichspolizei . It has black plastic stocks, matt finished black aluminum frame and a blue steel slide that is now turning plum colored. I traded a Colt 9mm Commander and some cash for it at a gun show in Medina, OH in the Spring of 2000. DB30.

Very good info. Thanks for sharing that. The one I passed on was in a Swiss military box that matched the gun by SN. It was in very nice shape and I could have bought it for $1100-$1200 (depending on how much I dickered). This was about 2000, too. At the time, that was a lot of money to me, but still a good price on the pistol. I really, really, really wish I'd bought it. The next time I went into that shop, it was gone. It sold shortly after I looked at it to someone who had his head on straight.

jyo

Single-Sixer
I have a real soft-spot for FN/Browning P35s---own three---but the finest production 9mm pistol has to be the Swiss SIG P210---mine is a P210-2 and a .22lr factory conversion unit fitted with factory wood grips---it really don't get much better!

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
I'm bouncing the Hi Power and CZ 75 back and forth for my choice as the finest handgun. I just don't know if they are the finest 9mm's ever made. I'm probably taking a bit of a historical slant to this.

My winner would be the Luger. It started the whole 9mm cartridge.

The Glock 17 would be my fourth choice.

1911 wins for best overall firearms and would be my choice for a 9mm handgun but it's not a true 9mm.

Barry in IN

Bearcat
I hate to just join the crowd, but I like the Browning HiPower. As they come, they are not perfect, but the problems are fixable. I like to think of them as being 90-95% there. But that is about the best I can say for most guns.

The triggers usually need some help, but some actually are pretty good. I find they vary a lot, and if you can check several, you can usually find one that is at least decent. Better than a DA auto trigger to me at least.
The hammer might bite, and different people get bit more by one hammer type than the other, but that's easily fixed too. The regular spur hammer with a couple of serrations filed away works for me.
Grips make a big difference. Thinner ones feel great to most people, and thick ones like the Pachmayr steel belted radials feel good to others. The basic frame shape seems to feel good to most people. It's just a matter of how thin or plump you want it.

Yeah, it's too bad these things need done, but the point is, they are fixable.
I can get guns that might have better triggers, but no matter what I do or spend they won't carry IWB as comfortably as the slim, rounded HiPower slide and frame.
I can get a gun that doesn't bite my hand when I shoot it, but while I can correct that on a HiPower in a few minutes with a file, I'll never be able to make another gun's grip frame feel as good as the Brownings.

Another one I like is the S&W 3913. I always liked single stack medium size 9mms, and tried most of them. I've had a couple, and like them a lot (even if they are DA). They are small enough to carry well, yet big enough to shoot OK.

But my favorite mid-size 9mm is the HK P7. I love those. I have two, and they bumped the 3913 out for my choice of mid-size 9mm. They are flat enough to carry easy, and I can shoot them better than any gun I have. I shoot them less than some other guns, but even when I don't shoot a P7 for awhile, I can pick one up and do better with it than what I've been shooting. It's as close to fully ambidextrous as any gun I can think of, and I shoot it better "wrong handed" than any other pistol.

There are a lot of gripes about the P7, but often they are exaggerations at best. They get hot due to the gas system after about 50 rounds, but some will act like you can't get through a magazine without setting your hand on fire.
Others swear that if you don't carry a P7 every single day, you will forget how to operate the thing. You take a firing grip, squeeze-cocking it in the process, and shoot. I've let quite a few people shoot mine who have never seen one before. Many have shot it again months later, and even though I keep quiet and watch for it, they had no trouble remembering how it works.

I got a Sig P-210 a couple of years ago. Actually, it's a Danish contract M/49. It is a wonderful gun, but I hesitate to say it's the finest 9mm.
The hammer chews me up worse than any gun I've ever shot. It could be fixed however, and there are "bolt-on" beavertails out there.
The magazine catch is the Euro type, which is not terrible, but not exactly handy either.
It's a pretty big gun for an 8+1 9mm. Nice for shooting, and the balance lets it "hang" nicely, but it's a bit big for what it is.
The safety lever is tough to reach with the right thumb. I can do it by shifting the gun in my hand, but that is not what I'd prefer by any means. It's easiest to manipulate it with the left hand, but I want a carry gun to be operable one-handed.
Magazines are over a hundred bucks when I see them. Usually around $140.
Most of these things are fixable, but finding someone (there are a couple) to do it, and (mostly) paying the price, is no small thing.

But the P-210 is soooo smooth, and it shoots so well! Just working the slide makes me smile. With the recoil spring and barrel removed and the hammer cocked, I can tilt the muzzle just a little bit and the slide comes sliding back.
The trigger is a joy. It's a two stage, similar to military rifles, but much better feeling. It's hard to describe. You have to feel it to understand completely.
It's fun just to sit and study the inside because it's so well finished in there.
And I am always surprised at what it feeds. It was designed long before 9mm JHP ammo was common, and it accordingly looks like it was designed around FMJ with a feedramp that is as close to vertical as any I've seen. Yet it gobbles up everything I've tried. I have some plated JHPs that are terrible feeders, choking everything but the P7s, and the 210 feeds them without a stutter. I shot a lot of cast SWCs in 9mm last year, in three or four designs, and it ate them up.
And everything shoots into neat little groups. Almost every load shoots better groups in the P-210 than any other gun I have tried it in.

Overall, as a range gun, the P-210 is incredible. But it's way down the list of guns that I'd carry. And it's not because of money, because I'll carry what I think I can shoot and operate the best whether it's my cheapest gun or most expensive.
So I can't say it's the best.
But it is the best 9mm range gun I've shot, without question.

Glassfixer

Bearcat
Hi. I really like shooting and the feel of my CZ-75, after some trigger work. As honorable mention, I would like to say I very much enjoy shooting my 9MM XDM. Probably equally as much. - Glassfixer