FINEST 9mm HANDGUN EVER MADE.....?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Otony

Blackhawk
Having owned a zillion different 9mm pistolas (EXCEPT for a SIG 210) I will have to say my Browning Hi-Power is the ne plus ultra. BTW, the name of the Belgian engineer that actually brought the design to fruition was Dieudonné Joseph Saive, who also designed the FN-1949 and the FN-FAL. Obviously a clever fellow!

I would love to own a SIG P210, but I will likely purchase another P08 before ever doing so. Sumpin' 'bout Lugers.....

wproct

Single-Sixer
First of all, I love the 9mm semi-auto, and there are a many many great models to choose from, but the one I will never be without is the Smith & Wesson 5906. Not a concealed carry piece by any stretch of the imagination, but a great handgun! Also like the Ruger P95, just thought I would mention that because this is a Ruger thread.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I'm partial to the Star model B. Star scaled down the 1911 to a 9mm sized package. But because the 1911 lockwork was still under patent, they used the lockwork from the Star Model A. Externally looks the same, operates the same and feels the same as a 1911.

Ted

Pic for those who haven't seen one...
b-left.jpg

A

Anonymous

Snake45 said:
Depends quite a lot on what definition of "finest" one is using. And in this context, there are several. :?

Overall, though, and all things considered, I've never seen anything I liked any better than the 3rd Generation (some call them 4th Gen) S&Ws. I have a 5906 and wish I had a matching 5904 (alloy frame) to go with it.
Finest meaning the way it is constucted, performance and reliability.
A few years back, a lot of Law Enforcement agencies used the S&W 5906 and till today, many officers still wished they did.

I wish I had a S&W 5904 as well.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mickeymouse said:
Snake45 said:
Depends quite a lot on what definition of "finest" one is using. And in this context, there are several. :?

Overall, though, and all things considered, I've never seen anything I liked any better than the 3rd Generation (some call them 4th Gen) S&Ws. I have a 5906 and wish I had a matching 5904 (alloy frame) to go with it.
Finest meaning the way it is constucted, performance and reliability.
I think the SIG P-210 would top the list if that's the standard. From all I've read and heard about it (never owned or shot one), it's simply in a class by itself.

That doesn't mean it's my favorite, or would be my first choice for any of dozens of "real world" uses I can think of.

My sentimental favorite 9mm is the Walther P.38, but that doesn't mean it would be my first choice for real-world use, either. But then, that's not what you asked. :wink:

did anybody say the Browning Hi Power ??? :roll:

My choice of gun, in a caliber that I never cared for............. 8)

( My German ancestors designed, built and used this caliber in about the only way it was intended for ( parabellum), throwing LOTS of bullets downrange and try and 'hurt/wound/disable, NOT necessarily kill anyone , ...some call it "spray and pray"...and now today, the locals call it "drive by......" :wink:

add a set of "Home Boy, side mounts"......" ready to roll.......... :lol:

chopprs

Single-Sixer
I first thought of the Browning High Power.....and then I read the thread. I guess it was a good choice.
Second, close second, I would pick the Glock 19.

A

Anonymous

flatgate said:
Nah, a Freedom Arms Model 97..........

flatgate
That is not a 9mm handgun.....But a real real nice Cowboy Gun. I like it in 41 mag.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mickeymouse said:
flatgate said:
Nah, a Freedom Arms Model 97..........

flatgate
That is not a 9mm handgun.....But a real real nice Cowboy Gun. I like it in 41 mag.
Freedom offers an optional 9mm cylinder for the 97 for $295, so technically, it qualifies.

A

Anonymous

What???? Freedom Arms 97 has a 9mm interchangable revolver cylnder?

But, I wonder if the bore chambered for the .41 mag. How does it perform with the width of the barrel bore?
Unless the barrel is also intercangable.

A

Anonymous

Tam 212 said:
Surprised the CZ-75 brigade hasn't checked in yet...... :mrgreen:
The CZ 75 is a nice gun.....The only thing about that CZ 75 model is that owners of one, never hold on to'em.
There are so many pre-owned 75's for sale......Just like the Glock 9mm models. A whole lot of pre-oned for sale.....Don't know why.

Okay I'll vote for the Hi Power. One of the nicest guns I ever owned although my Sig P228 is probably a keeper.

I did own an SP-101 in 9MM for a short while, but that's another story.

rbertalotto

Bearcat
I think the SIG P-210 would top the list if that's the standard. From all I've read and heard about it (never owned or shot one), it's simply in a class by itself.

This is a no brainer...........Unless you have ever held, operated and fired a Sig 210, you have zero reference for what is the best 9mm handgun.

I had one and sold it for WAY more than I paid to someone that simply had to have one here in Massachusetts where they are simply impossible to buy legally. They can not be transferred into the state if they weren't here before 1998. Mine was... :D

P1000136-vi.jpg

NewSIGP210rockpatchmag1.jpg

(we can also look to the Korth http://www.korthusa.com/pistol_en.htm but I've never handled one so I have no personal knowledge, but a $4,000+ pistol must be real nice)