Finally grabbed a Bearcat-

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been looking half-heartedly for a while. I finally got serious and found one worth the asking price. It is a 1967 and unfortunately it has been converted. However, all the original parts were included, along with an incorrect box and the conversion kit paperwork. But what really drew me to this one was the condition. It looks like it has hardly any use. No chips on the frame, the cylinder is perfect, there's a couple of tiny dings on the grips, and a tiny ding under the roll mark on the barrel. But none of that is readily apparent. All in all, I'm very pleased. Seeing as this is really for my wife, I'll probably leave the conversion kit in as long as I can get the trigger a bit lighter. Here's a couple pics-
IMG_8538.jpeg
IMG_8537.jpeg

From the auction-
IMG_8497.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
Oh well, it was worth a shot. That box looks more like an OM box,, & not the "no-label" conversion box they normally use. if it has a fold down flap inside the box,, it's post Old Model.

Sorry, Contender. I was sort of thinking it would be a match for my 1976 .45 Blackhawk, but when I saw the writing I cringed. Why not use a piece of masking tape? Ugh.
IMG_8539.jpeg
IMG_8540.jpeg

By the way- when you look at the original hammer there's hardly any wear at all. But there are parts that should be there, and parts that aren't. I think. At least the hammer, trigger, pawl, base pin and cylinder latch are there. This is my first excursion into Bearcat Conversion territory. I do know the hammer spring and trigger spring are really strong…I'm going to have to do something about that.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, the box used to return a gun after the conversion. The first picture fooled me. I thought it might have been from an Old Model that someone had stuck the Bearcat in.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
FYI, here is a guide for spotting converted old model Rugers in auctions where all you have are some pictures to go by:

For OM Bearcats, the wide hammer spur is the tipoff indicating it is converted.

Nice. Now some advice. Do NOT get another one. They are just like rabbits; get two and suddenly you have a bunch of them. Ask me how I know.:eek:
Yeah, that sorta happened with my Single Sixes…

I think it was about 2 years ago when I bought an OM Super Blackhawk from Weaselmeatgravy here. Maybe 3. At that time I had no Ruger single actions in my safe. Now there's 14 with another coming on Tuesday…since this picture was taken the Wrangler went down the road, replaced by the Bearcat. And a Super Single Six is on the way.
IMG_8261.jpeg

Crockett12

Bearcat
I had a Bearcat for a lot of years and always carried it while big game hunting in case I saw a grouse! Well -- I did and after drawing down on the grouse, I finally decided to pass up on the shot because i didn't want to screw up deer hunting and miss the grouse on top of it! The reason -- the trigger was so bad (gritty & heavy) I wasn't sure I'd hit the grouse even though it was only a few yards away! After that I looked into finding a gunsmith to do trigger work and finally sold the gun because no-one could help with the trigger! Too bad too because it's delightfully small & light weight gun for carry but I've been told their triggers can't be smoothed and lightened!

I'm not one to give up easily. Anything mechanical can be refined and improved. Not that it's anywhere in the budget, but I know Bobby Tyler can work magic on them. So- it can be done.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I have always wanted a Bearcat, but don't know why. Maybe because of its small size, cuteness, and simple efficiency.

I would actually prefer having a modern one with the transfer bar.

I remember seeing stainless Bearcats with the off-color aluminum (?) ejector shroud.

But I have a stainless Single Six that I use mostly with its .22 mag cylinder.

Still want a Bearcat though.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Yeah, that sorta happened with my Single Sixes…

I think it was about 2 years ago when I bought an OM Super Blackhawk from Weaselmeatgravy here. Maybe 3. At that time I had no Ruger single actions in my safe. Now there's 14 with another coming on Tuesday…since this picture was taken the Wrangler went down the road, replaced by the Bearcat. And a Super Single Six is on the way. View attachment 36267
I'm stealing your storage solution!!

I'm stealing your storage solution!!
Go for it! Hardware store aluminum angle, some outdoor fabric and spray glue, and various sizes of bolts covered in heat shrink. I got the idea from a local gun shop. I hate the door organizers on most safes- pockets you can't use, pockets for guns that don't fit, and wasted space. Most safes that say they hold 50 only hold about 20. This way I can fit more. And enjoy the view while watching some TV.

Iroc

Bearcat
I remember seeing stainless Bearcats with the off-color aluminum (?) ejector shroud.
That's a beautiful gun you picked up……. for your wife 🤣. I believe Ruger changed the stainless Bearcat ejector shrouds from aluminum to stainless steel in 2016, mine was shipped in 2017 and has the factory stainless shroud.

Attachments

• IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts