Bearcat differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the old brass trigger guard Bearcats and the newer ones? Is it just the transfer bar inclusion or something else.

There were 22 mag conversions so is the bore diameter less desirable for shooting just 22 long rifle, longs and shorts?

I have a steel guard version but like the look of the old brass trigger guard and wonder what, if anything, I'd be giving up if I switch.

Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
The Bearcat started back in 1958. Over the decades,, it has evolved, as have all of the Rugers. There are variations. Gold anodized trigger guard, about 110 black anodized trigger guards, and aluminum cylinder/grip frame were the beginnings. Then along came the Super Bearcat,, with the steel cylinder/grip frame, gold anodized trigger guard which later changed to blue steel about mid-production.
All of these were the "Old Model" type.
The New Model Bearcat came out with the transfer bar safety system, steel cylinder/grip frame & steel trigger guard. And yes,, later on a convertible with the .22 mag cylinder, which was recalled by Ruger, and even later on, adjustable sights.

This lists the basic variations.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Far as I know New Model, Old Model, same gun, different guts.
Meaning when they came up with the safety conversion it was deemed "good enough". They never redesigned the gun like they did for New Model Single six and Blackhawk guns.

old models as noted had "aluminum" trigger guards, that were 'anodized' a gold ( brass color), the guns frame was ONE piece aluminum alloy, Super Bearcats the whole guns was 'steel ( 4140 chrome moly casting) as are the New Bearcats after 1993, so NOT "the same " guns........not a lot of room inside their frames to be doing much re -engineering, so the basic lockwork had the transfer bar 'added'....as for the barrels we were told the first early 1993 New bearcats they used the old barrels thus a smaller bore diameter and cause pressure issues????cannot, did not verify this ( slug and of the guns my wife had in her collection back then, she got rid of about 5 or 6 early low number convertibles she had,,,,oh well too new for her......:cool::rolleyes:;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The cool thing about the new and old models is the ability to swap parts. For example you can put the brass color trigger guard on any other models including the new model.

Also: The transfer bar conversion kit and the new model includes a wide spur hammer like a miniature super BH hammer that you can install in the old models. You just have to file the front face of the hammer flat to use it without the transfer bar.

BisleyBuff

Bearcat
Wow, thank you. So if I can find a brass color trigger guard I can simply put it on my existing bearcat, needs a new ejector rod housing as well as the old one is scratched and dented.

Thanks!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Here's my old model Super Bearcat with the new model Transfer bar wide hammer installed but without the transfer bar.
1705629280084.png

Custom grips and steel ejector rod housing.

Latest posts