Does revolver recoil cause or help arthritis?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I've always read the assumption that heavy recoil causes arthritis. Now I know that injuries do "attact" arthritis, but what about recoil. I know that to fight this disease you are supposed to keep moving (before you stop moving) which actually makes me wonder if recoil might be beneficial. Any doctors or PTs on here that might know?

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've had a close relationship with Uncle Arthur for a while now. I can' say whether it comes from recoil, more likely it's a combination of poor decision making and genetics. I can say that the arthritis in my hands and shoulders bothers me more after a day of serious shooting. I don't usually shoot my big stuff when it's bothering me. A few shots of almost anything are OK. If I decide to burn up a bunch of 416 or 375 rifle ammo or a bunch of 44 or 357 handgun ammo, I can have problems for a few days. Just my experience.
Bfly

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I suppose it may depend on the type of arthritis. I have osteoarthritis and speciofically had no cartiledge in the joint where my thumbs meet my wrist.

Working and shooting often left me with enough pain that I couldn't get to sleep.

I had surgery on each side where the trapezium bone in my wrists were removed and some tendon in my forearm was used to secure the bottom end of my thumb. Doing well and shooting good as ever and as much as I like 1 yr later. I did a lot of weak-side shooting while the strong side was healing. Got pretty good.

Can't say anything about rheumatoid arthritis, though.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Hard recoiling guns can pose hand and wrist problems down the road (just ask John Taffin). I've been shooting big stuff from a very young age and many times have left the range banged-up (busted knuckes, swollen palms, sore joints, bruised shoulder, etc). I guess time will tell.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
If I knew I was gonna live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.
Just repercussions of my mis-spent youth. LOL
Sal

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
I'm convinced that a paste made of water and W-231 applied once a day will cure arthritis.... :lol:

toysoldier

Hunter
Iron Mike Golf said:
I had surgery on each side where the trapezium bone in my wrists were removed and some tendon in my forearm was used to secure the bottom end of my thumb.

That's called an Anchovy procedure (no kidding!). My wife had it on one wrist, and never complains...about that.

There's a big difference between movement and impact. That's why bicycling is better for you than running.

The rule for arthritic joints is, the more you move it, the more you can move it. Stop using it and it will freeze up.

Joe S.

Hunter
Thats why i walk to my stand instead of riding our side by side. Only use SxS when im bringing a deer out.

I jowever can not run as much as i hsed to when the arthritis is acting up in my knee

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Isn't that one of the reasons to reload? A few big boomers and then some reduced loads is the way I usually shoot. My hands and shoulders and lower back are the places I have to watch most. I try to exercise them but not punish them. With a few anti-inflammatory pills now and then I have been getting along pretty well. Getting old is a Rosie O'Donnell. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I hit the big 46 today! I've got arthritis and tendonitis and I'm only a kid. Well at least compared to some of you geezers. :wink:
I've got no plans to stop shooting and as the man said, "die of boredom."

Lee Martin

Hunter
Joking aside, big recoiling guns can cause damage. When I first bought my 416 JDJ barrel I shot the gun with TC's factory Rynite grip (as shown on this 445 SuperMag):

445SuperMag1.jpg

Like an idiot, my first session was 50 rounds of 400 grainers @ 1,800 fps. That pretty much crippled my hand a wrist for over a week (couldn't clench it without extreme pain). It eventually went away but I learned my lesson and swapped them out for Pachmyrs:

SSKContenders.jpg

416JDJ.jpg

The gun is now pretty easy to shoot with rubber. I also use heavy work gloves with the trigger finger cutout for the really big stuff (475 & 500 Linebaugh, 454, 500 Maximum, this 416, etc). A little padding plus gripframes like the Bisley go a long way to help your hands and wrists.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
The Doctor Is In! I'm going to give you all the great "tip" I received from a friend. A couple of years ago, I had a very painful case of the gout. I was told that "Just Black Cherry Juice" made by Knudsen and found in the Natural Foods section of major grocery markets/stores would work wonders. I bought a bottle and in two days, the gout was completely gone! He also said it is good for relief of Arthritis. He was right on again! I take about two inches in a small juice glass every morning and it has worked wonders with my arthritis and I have not had a recurrence of the gout either. The "Just Tart Cherry" juice does not work. It has to be the "Just Black Cherry Juice. Must be something to do with specific ingredients in that juice. Lately, I have found that juice to not last long on the shelves. Apparently, others have figured this out also. It runs around $4.40 a bottle and a bottle last me and the wife about a week..........................Dick :wink:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
"There's a big difference between movement and impact. That's why bicycling is better for you than running."
That reasoning makes sense.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My son thinks I'm a whimp but I have pachmayrs on all my single actions. I'm only 55 but the pretty wood grips on big single actions are punishing for me to shoot. Yes the rubber isn't pretty but makes for smoother shooting. Also its the cheapest way to get all pistols as close to the same feel as possible besides I didn't buy these guns to look at I bought them to use and enjoy. I have all the original grips that came on them put up so if I decide to get rid of one I can put it back original. Most came with the plastic grips anyway. I went out with my son the other day and shot his latest new toy. I only shot it once. The vaquero 5 shot 480 with wood grips was almost brutal. One shot was quite enough for me.

Montelores

Buckeye
Omega-3 fatty acids

Overview:

Omega-3 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can' t make them -- you have to get them through food. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut, other seafood including algae and krill, some plants, and nut oils. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development. They have also become popular because they may reduce the risk of heart disease. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish (particularly fatty fish such as mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna, and salmon) at least 2 times a week.

Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. Omega-3 fatty acids are highly concentrated in the brain and appear to be important for cognitive (brain memory and performance) and behavioral function. In fact, infants who do not get enough omega-3 fatty acids from their mothers during pregnancy are at risk for developing vision and nerve problems. Symptoms of omega-3 fatty acid deficiency include fatigue, poor memory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings or depression, and poor circulation.

It is important to have the proper ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 (another essential fatty acid) in the diet. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, and most omega-6 fatty acids tend to promote inflammation. The typical American diet tends to contain 14 - 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids, which many nutritionally oriented physicians consider to be way too high on the omega-6 side.

The Mediterranean diet, on the other hand, has a healthier balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Many studies have shown that people who follow this diet are less likely to develop heart disease. The Mediterranean diet emphasizes foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, including whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, olive oil, garlic, as well as moderate wine consumption.

Uses:

Clinical evidence is strongest for heart disease and problems that contribute to heart disease, but omega-3 fatty acids may also be used for:...

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm#ixzz1igvHvnJK

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

Monty

29 Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I appreciate arthritis, it reminds me that I'm still alive each morning.
If it was caused by shooting, then it's a badge worn with honor.
If shooting makes it worse, I'll be in pain with a smile on my face.

Latest posts