Do Ruger revolvers have larger diameter bores than other pis

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gene Pool

Bearcat
Gentlemen,

I am reloading target (reduced) loads with lead bullets in 41 magnum pistols. I have been using .410 diameter Meister 215 grain SWC's in my Smith & Wesson model 57 with accurate results. But when I try the same bullets in my Ruger Blackhawk, accuracy suffers.

I recall several years ago when competing in black powder, I had to use a .003" oversize ball (compared to other pistols of the same caliber) in my Ruger Old Army.

So my question is, do Ruger Blackhawks have larger diameter bores than other pistols in the same caliber?

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Gene Pool

427mach1

Blackhawk
It might just be that your Ruger likes a different load than your S&W. The only way to find out about your particular gun is to slug the bore. Have you slugged the barrel of either of your revolvers?

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
I'm not certain about the .41, but in other calibers, Ruger has had undersized cylinder throats which hurts accuracy with cast bullets. Opening up the throats with a reamer to bore diameter helps guns so affected and is easy to do yourself or relatively inexpensive to have done by a gunsmith.

GP100man

Buckeye
I agree with Pocketfisherman more times it`s the cyl is the culpret ,I slug my bores at both ends with round balls of pure , then have the throats of the cyl reamed 1/2 -1 thou. over.

If enuuf pressure is used undersized SOFT boolits will bump up to throat/then bore dia. & give satisfactory results.
Undersized HARD boolits will give trouble , gas cutting from the get go ,& according how hard, will never bump up to throat/bore dia. leadin from stem to stern!!!

Gene Pool

Bearcat
Thank you for the suggestions and education. The bullets I have used are from Meister and pretty hard. Perhaps I need to try a bullet of softer lead to see if that gives any different results.

Gene Pool

Meeko

Single-Sixer
427mach1 said:
It might just be that your Ruger likes a different load than your S&W. The only way to find out about your particular gun is to slug the bore. Have you slugged the barrel of either of your revolvers?

More than likely ^^THIS^^ however, there could be a difference in the old Army being Black powder could it be they are slightly oversized to take into account the patch???
Also several years ago (1992) there was an excellent magazine called "Book of the 45" There was an article in it centered around 45 Blackhawks and Hank Williams JR (he is an avid re loader) I believe it was mention in that article (but I do forget so I could be wrong) back in the day there was some oversized chambers/throat areas on Rugers but that was corrected.