Ruger 5.7 x 28 reloads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clash734

Bearcat
I'm considering purchasing a ruger 5.7 x 28. i reload all my pistol ammunition and I have a few questions about this unique round. Since this is a bottle neck round does the brass require trimming? I know filth the FN the brass has to have a lacquer coating to work but does the ruger require the coating. If it does can the brass be recoated with lacquer?

So yep, the 5.7 does require trimming. All guns designed for the 5.7 are probably going to be betting on the ammo being new, with the coating. I have a buddy that reloads 5.7, and he wet tumbles the brass, and does not use the stainless steel pins. He just uses a a squirt of Dawn dish soap and a 9mm case full of Lemishine powder, and that helps keep the coating from coming off the cases. I don't know if there is a way to reapply that coating when it does come off, or how critical it is to the function of the gun. He has a FN PS90 that he shoots.

Welcome, and hope that helps some!

" I know filth the FN the brass has to have a lacquer coating to work but does the ruger require the coating. If it does can the brass be recoated with lacquer?"
Well THAT takes a lot of the goody off the lollipop!!!!! Makes the 5.7 sound more like a range toy than I'm up for as I was hoping to have one as a suppressor host in the near future. :poop:

contender

Ruger Guru
First off,, yes,, a bottle neck case will need trimming to correct length,, just like all others.

Now,, as to the lacquer finish so well known for the FN guns.

When Ruger introduced the 5.7 Ruger,, (and I was told directly by them it's to be called that,) I looked it over extensively while at SHOT. I specifically asked about the issues associated with reloading cases , the lacquer coating etc because of comments I'd heard elsewhere.
The Ruger folks assured me that the coating was not required by the Ruger 5.7.

Now,, I do not own one,, nor really have the desire for one. But apparently Ruger is correct,, as I haven't heard complaints about reloading brass for that gun.

Latest posts