Difference between new and old model vaquero's ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
Hondo I like your Sheriff too. My SS .44 Sheriff sports a SBH hammer, but I like that standard BH/Vaquero hammer on it as well.

5of7

Hunter
An attempt has been made above to connect the old Vaquero term to safety.

I disagree with that because to say "old model Vaquero" would not serve to cause one to infer that the old Vaquero was safe when it wasn't, it would more likely serve to cause one to think that it was unsafe, when it is, thereby encouraging caution, albeit unnecessary caution......a good thing.

Actually I think it is far more dangerous to simply refer to the old model Vaquero as a Vaquero because one can't be 100% sure that it is in fact the old version that is being discussed rather than a new Vaquero without the "new" attachment.

Now, that misconception, coupled with a discussion of hand loads could lead to a blown up gun and possible serious injury to the shooter.

By all means, whenever discussing the Vaquero, new OR old, take the time to be sure that the reader of the post knows for sure which model you are talking about.

gak

Buckeye
5of7 said:
Actually I think it is far more dangerous to simply refer to the old model Vaquero as a Vaquero because one can't be 100% sure that it is in fact the old version that is being discussed rather than a new Vaquero without the "new" attachment.

I'm with you on this, although "knowledge" that (to date) .44 Specials alone are the only anomaly you speak of--*should* be enough. Any other calibers and folks *should* be ok with the "just Vaquero" moniker. Still, your point(s) are well taken for yet another unfortunate reason: that is - particularly since Ruger has further exaccerbated things by themselves referring to ALL New Vaqueros as just "Vaqueros" in their recent(year?) literature. THAT is even more perplexing than the one (again, to date) "screw up" on the actual gun with the .44 Special...which is the sort of thing that maybe (?) shouldn't but "can" happen.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gak said:
Hondo I like your Sheriff too. My SS .44 Sheriff sports a SBH hammer, but I like that standard BH/Vaquero hammer on it as well.

gak,

That would make yours look like a Montado but in 44 Spl, very cool!

I do more target work with my blue 44 Spl Flattop. So I installed the Montado diamond checkered SBH hammer in it and the SS Montado grip frame with the grooves in the front strap w/o the lock along with a SBH grooved trigger. It looks as good as it shoots.

gak

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
gak said:

gak,

That would make yours look like a Montado but in 44 Spl, very cool!

I do more target work with my blue 44 Spl Flattop. So I installed the Montado diamond checkered SBH hammer in it and the SS Montado grip frame with the grooves in the front strap w/o the lock along with a SBH grooved trigger. It looks as good as it shoots.

Yes - near identical twin with my .357 Montado, except the latter's grooved frontstrap and added Bowen lanyard ring. I'd forgotten about the SBH grooved trigger.

kemper

Bearcat
CraigC said:
Why would an adult find such simple terminology so difficult???

To Jim Miller and CraigC: Let me qualify my statement by saying I am what others on this forum referred to as "newest newbie". I joined this forum because I enjoy and appreciate Ruger firearms. I can assure you that I am a college educated adult (47 years old) and I have been shooting and collecting Ruger firearms since my early 20's, but when a new member post a topic and is given a reply such as "Most people that use incorrect nomenclature do so because they want to. Because of that some folks just get frustrated and their civility slips." all that does is drive new members away from this site. Other members on here have been quite helpful and understanding if a newbie uses incorrect terminology, but "some people" seem to thrive on putting others in their place, so I hear ya loud and clear and will do my best not to offend anyone by using incorrect terminology when referring to a Vaquero. :shock: :? :roll:

kemper

Bearcat
rdf009 said:
"Old model" Vaquero perhaps isn't the proper term, as "old model" refers to three screw, pre-transfer bar Ruger single actions. Everyone knows what you mean when you say old model Vaquero, but really there are only Vaqueros and New Vaqueros.

The difference is that the original Vaqueros were built on a larger frame, identical to the Blackhawk frames. They had XR3-RED grip frames (and some had birdsheads), and can handle most any ammunition that you feed them. New Vaqueros are built on a smaller frame (more similar to the original Colt SAA). They have beveled cylinders, and XR3 grip frames, which are slightly smaller than XR3-REDs. Most people will tell you not to shoot super heavy loads out of the New Vaqueros (especially the .45s), because of the smaller frame size.

For the record: rdf009 said it best IMO and he said it in a clear, concise and VERY NICE WAY WITHOUT TALKING DOWN TO A NEWBIE

Hondo44

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
That blued, short barrelled New Vaquero is a great lookin' little sixgun!

Thank you CraigC,
The more I handle and shoot it the more I like it. It's a great little kit gun. I shoot WRFs in it more than mags. They are less costly now that they are a regular production item yet it still chambers the Mag snake loads.

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
It won't be too long however that us old farts who know about three screw models will be gone and the term "old model Vaquero" will be just fine. Also since I had a couple of pairs (two original Bisley Vaqueros, and two "make that four" new Bisley Vaquero's) of each I can tell you for a fact (quite a few folks disagree with this, but I know it to be true since I've had both in my hand at the very same time and all were new, unfired, and in the box) that the grip frames on the original Bisleys and the grip frames on the new Bisleys are exactly the same. Sure, the cylinder frame and cylinder is quite a bit different and the original model was and is much beefier, but the grip frames are identical. This has made things work out great when trying to locate grips for one or the other since I was actually looking for the very same grip. I just wish I new the slight differences between the plow handled grip frame between original and new model Vaqueros?

I've found that the very best way to make a birdshead grip Vaquero or any other single action revolver is to modify the existing grip frame by welding it up (the web area just before the edge where it makes contact with the grip panels) and scribing and cutting a new profile. Grind and polish until done and then try to fit some grips to the new grip frame. Usually all one has to do is to use the original grips that came off the gun the modification was made on since it is larger in all areas than the birdshead version and the grip locating pin is exactly the same. All that is necessary is to trim the oversized grip down to the new profile. My problem is that the Hogue panels that Ruger now comes with are still made for the time when Ruger thought to use that darn hammer strut safety block so there are cutouts inletted into the inside of each panel to accomodate that safety. Doesn't matter that Ruger discontinued that safety a long time ago and has absolutely no plans on ever trying that idea ever again. (it seems their largest market, "Cowboy Shooters" didn't like that safety and spent the very first amount of modification work on removing that safety). So to keep the Cowboy Shooters happy, the safety was removed and promised to never return. Hogue didn't care and are still making grips as if Ruger was still putting in those safeties. Well, that undercut in the inside of the panels is right on the edge of the new profile of the birdshead grip frame and it leaves a nice little hole in the finished grip. Not good. So I'm buying a pair of "New model super blackhawk grips" and I'm just hoping I can get those grips to fit. You see they are Ajax grip panels and Ajax makes their grip panels out of solid material with no undercuts at all. I may have to reposition the alignment pin a bit, but that's not a problem at all. I'm just hoping that where the grip meets the frames (both cylinder and grip), that that corner comes out OK, then the rest will be a cake walk. Smithy.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
5kwkdw3 said:
. I just wish I new the slight differences between the plow handled grip frame between original and new model Vaqueros? Smithy.

Smithy,

Here's what you wanted to know:
The XR3 size below is the New Vaquero. The XR3-RED sixe is the original Vaquero.
You will have to reposition the locating dowel hole.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

GRIP FRAMES Hamm's site:
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
Thanks Hondo44, that told me a lot! I'll be in business if I get ahold of an XR3-Red grip as all I'll have to do is to shorten the forward portion of the grip a very small amount and I'll be equal with the current offerings of Ruger. (that and the location of the grip locating pin). Now if I went and ordered a Super Blackhawk grip, then I might run into some trouble. Again I can shorten the height and forward length of the grip profile, but on that one it looks as if I do this modification I won't have enough grip to come down to the bottom of the grip frame? Ie. right where the middle finger goes. Well I haven't done anything as of yet so after checking out what I have to work with, I may end up mixing up some epoxy and mix in some powdered ivory grip material to color the epoxy so I can put a drop or two in the offending areas to build up that area that would have produced the holes prior to filing and sanding the grip to the new profile? Just a thought. Smithy.

Latest posts