Difference between new and old model vaquero's ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
[/quote]This can't be a "New Vaquero Sheriff" model. It only has "VAQUERO" stamped on the frame. :?: It's been said. "It simple". It's either a Vaquero or New Vaquero. Look at what's stamped on the frame. If it has Vaquero then it's a "Vaquero or old Vaquero, or large frame Vaquero, or original Vaquero". If it has New Vaquero stamped on the frame then it's a "New Vaquero, or small frame Vaquero, or latest model Vaquero". See how simple this is. Who could possibly get this mixed up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not as simple as some would like to make out. When one talks about a Vaquero, usually they put "Older" or "Large Frame" or "Original" in front of it, and sometimes "Old Model", but they usually get their their knuckles slapped for using that term. Look! Both the new and original models are "VAQUEROs" So when someone uses any of those terms to explain what they are talking about, it's OK. If someone calls a Vaquero an Old Model Vaquero. There is a nice way to bring it to their attention. Just look at how rdf009 explained the proper terminology without insulting the person, and how polite he was and not judgemental about it. After all some people call the 45 LC just a 45 Colt. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yes, how nice of Ruger to add fuel to the nomenclature fire by stamping only Vaquero on their New Vaquero med frames including my 44 spl Sheriff Model!
I too appreciate those who take the extra effort to make their communication as clear as possible in consideration for even the newest newbie. Some seem to assume they are only talking to folks who know as much as themselves. It's always easy to understand something when you already know an issue and choose to be an idealogue on nomenclature.
orig.jpg
[/quote]

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Again

It's beyond me why Ruger chose to call the latest version of the Vaquero the New Vaquero. Nomenclature like that always leads to confusion, as we have seen. What will the next version be called, New and Improved Vaquero? When Ruger brought out newer versions of the old Mark I 22 semi-auto, they did a very logical thing. They called the next one the Mark II. Brilliant. When the next model came out it was the Mark III. How simple and elegant. No mistaking at all which model somebody is talking about. Why in the world Ruger did something dumb like naming the newer Vaquero the New Vaquero is beyond me, when less confusing alternatives could have been chosen.

street

Hunter
Hondo44, I forgot to add. That a nice looking Ruger. I like the Walnut grips, with the Blackeagle. It's a classy looking gun, thanks for showing it.

5of7

Hunter
5of7 said:
CraigC said:
Why would an adult find such simple terminology so difficult???

I doubt that it is a question of difficulty. More, I would think, a question of personal idiosyncrasy.

My question is, since there is no difficulty in understanding the meaning of the term "old model Vaquero," why would the use of that particular term be "frustrating?"

At least to an adult. :?

5of7

Hunter
It's not as simple as some would like to make out. When one talks about a Vaquero, usually they put "Older" or "Large Frame" or "Original" in front of it, and sometimes "Old Model", but they usually get their their knuckles slapped for using that term. Look! Both the new and original models are "VAQUEROs" So when someone uses any of those terms to explain what they are talking about, it's OK. If someone calls a Vaquero an Old Model Vaquero. There is a nice way to bring it to their attention. Just look at how rdf009 explained the proper terminology without insulting the person, and how polite he was and not judgemental about it. After all some people call the 45 LC just a 45 Colt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

I would agree to this except for the capitalization of the "O" in referring to the old Vaquero.

Capitalizing the O denotes it as part of a proper noun, thereby creating a NAME for the old Vaquero that includes the "old" as part of it, rather than simple including the "old" as an indication of it's status as an earlier model.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The problem lies not with we who know the difference. The problem lies with those who do not and the confusion it creates with those folks who do not understand the difference between Old Model single actions and New Model single actions. The problem and the solution are incredibly simple. It's the people involved who make it exceedingly difficult.

5of7

Hunter
CraigC said:
The problem lies not with we who know the difference. The problem lies with those who do not and the confusion it creates with those folks who do not understand the difference between Old Model single actions and New Model single actions. The problem and the solution are incredibly simple. It's the people involved who make it exceedingly difficult.

So...you are saying that using the term "old model Vaquero" would confuse a neophyte gun enthusiast and cause him to think that the Vaquero was available during the time period before the New Model Blackhawk was introduced...right?

And this would cause problems exactly how?

By the way, how do you feel about the word "sunrise?"

street

Hunter
ARROGANCE: making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

I like your definition of "ARROGANCE". It reminds me of our friend :wink: from the great state of Tennessee. :lol: :lol: :lol:

5of7

Hunter
street said:
ARROGANCE: making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

I like your definition of "ARROGANCE". It reminds me of our friend :wink: from the great state of Tennessee. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do tell.... :D

357phase

Single-Sixer
To Hondo44:Is every thing stock on that gun except the ejector rod housing and base pin?What caliber as I can't tell?Very nice looking gun and just decided it's a "must have" for me.I like,I like... :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
And as usual the personal attacks come from 5of7 and street. Funny how street actually has something nice to say about the first post that corrected the terminology but has NEVER done so in the past. No matter how polite, diplomatic or politically correct the post was. You guys are something else.

Knuckles

Buckeye
OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!...

"PERSONAL ATTACK!... "PERSONAL ATTACK!... "PERSONAL ATTACK!... "PERSONAL ATTACK!... "PERSONAL ATTACK!... "PERSONAL ATTACK!... "PERSONAL ATTACK!...

OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!... OLD MODEL NEW VAQUERO!...

come on guys, let it go! :roll:

street

Hunter
CraigC said:
And as usual the personal attacks come from 5of7 and street. Funny how street actually has something nice to say about the first post that corrected the terminology but has NEVER done so in the past. No matter how polite, diplomatic or politically correct the post was. You guys are something else.

When ever anyone is polite, diplomatic or politically correct when they correct someone. I will have something nice to say about it. Gee! Why is it I have never had anything nice to say about you. Think about it. When you reply to this, try to be polite, diplomatic or politically correct and I will be more then happy to have something nice to say to you. I look forward to singing your praises, just remember be nice.

5of7

Hunter
CraigC said:

How is what I posted a personal attack?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
357phase said:
To Hondo44:Is every thing stock on that gun except the ejector rod housing and base pin?What caliber as I can't tell?Very nice looking gun and just decided it's a "must have" for me.I like,I like... :D

Hi 357phase,

Thank you. It's a 44 Spl limited production in this 3 3/4" barrel length. It's stock except I added the Colt ejector rod, Colt style Belt Mtn pin, older walnut grips w/black eagle, the standard Blackhawk hammer (it came with the extra long spur hammer that comes on all the current regular production New Vaqueros), and I contoured the web on the back of the trigger.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I wrote some on the practical differences between the "oldVaq" and "NewVaq" at:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=123170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This includes a discussion of the quality control improvements that happened with the NewVaqs.

-------

Next, Ruger screwed the pooch on the 44Spl "Vaqueros". They are in fact mis-marked mid-frame New Vaqueros.

-------

The reason we freak out over "old model Vaquero" is that the "old model" and "new model" terms tell somebody whether the Ruger SA came with a safety or not - pre-1973 "old model" as opposed to the "new model" action. Because of this safety-related reason, we can't let the "old model" and "new model" terms get polluted.

Again: it's a safety issue.

street

Hunter
JimMarch1 said:
The reason we freak out over "old model Vaquero" is that the "old model" and "new model" terms tell somebody whether the Ruger SA came with a safety or not - pre-1973 "old model" as opposed to the "new model" action. Because of this safety-related reason, we can't let the "old model" and "new model" terms get polluted.

Again: it's a safety issue.

You make a very good point on safety until we run up on an "Old Model" that's been converted to the new transfer bar system. I think most people think of this gun as an "Old Model". So that kind of kicks the safety reason for not polluting the terms "Old Model" and "New Model" out the door.

As far as the reason for freaking out for calling a Vaquero an old model Vaquero. I think I covered that, although a lot of "Old Model" collectors won't admit to it. But some do. The fact is they can't stand to have a "New Model" be called something that their beloved "Old Models" are called. That the simple facts. I know one "Old Model" collector that wouldn't own a "New Model".

Now here is the deal: "If you don't like the term old model Vaquero, then don't use it. How simple can that be?"

Now here the other deal: "I like the term old model Vaquero. And I will refer to the Vaquero, the one with the large frame, with only 2 digits in the prefix of the serial number, as an old model Vaquero. I will use this term because it is the older of the two major models of the Vaquero". NOTICE THAT I DON'T CAPITALIZE THE old OR THE model. THAT MEANS THAT IT ONLY USED TO DESCRIBE THE VAQUERO. It's not part of the name. Now if this upsets someone, then I'm sorry that it does but we all have to get over things that upset us. It's a growing thing. And if I am in some small way a reason that helps someone grow, then I have done my good deed for today. :wink:

Latest posts